Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carb vs. Fuel Injection
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AJH914
Hello:

I am just about done restoring a very original '73 2.0 with original fuel injection.

Despite the fact that I have sorted the ECU, replaced the harness and injectors, etc, I am still finding the fuel injection system finicky and unreliable and soul crushing.

I hate the idea of straying away from originality but I want to drive my otherwise well sorted car.

I am thinking of the Weber conversion kit that that Pelican offers. 1. should I do it? 2. if so is the Weber carb the way to go? 3. Beyond changing the distributor and the fuel pump, are there any other hidden issues? 4. Will the improvement make the car as bullet proof as possible?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Andrew

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
welcome.png

In my humble opinion, converting a otherwise stock motor to carbs is a downgrade, not an improvement.

Post some pics of what you currently have and we'll try to get you up and running smoothly again.
bye1.gif
JeffBowlsby
Best to fix the Djet.
Rufus
welcome.png

Beautiful 914 Andrew!
burton73
Andrew, Welcome to the world. welcome.png

“I am still finding the fuel injection system finicky and unreliable and soul crushing.”

This sounds very bad, but I think that you have not worked it out yet. When the system is working good it will start up all the time even if you let it sit for a very long time. Not so with the Carbs as they are what is finicky. I am saying start right up and idle in a perfect way all the time and get great gas milage as well that is my experience with my 1974 2.0 back in 1979.

Some of the guys may have a different opinion on this but this is mine. I would try to get some help from some of the guys here. Jefferys premo Marthon Blue car is all stock. He is also local to you so lets hope that he speaks up.

Good luck and do not give up yet on the. Factory FI. - Your car looks great!!

Best Bob B also local, but I cannot help you bud

wonkipop
QUOTE(AJH914 @ Jan 26 2024, 08:56 PM) *

Hello:

I am just about done restoring a very original '73 2.0 with original fuel injection.

Despite the fact that I have sorted the ECU, replaced the harness and injectors, etc, I am still finding the fuel injection system finicky and unreliable and soul crushing.

I hate the idea of straying away from originality but I want to drive my otherwise well sorted car.

I am thinking of the Weber conversion kit that that Pelican offers. 1. should I do it? 2. if so is the Weber carb the way to go? 3. Beyond changing the distributor and the fuel pump, are there any other hidden issues? 4. Will the improvement make the car as bullet proof as possible?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Andrew

Click to view attachment

that is a be-you-teefull lookig car. beerchug.gif

you are in brains trust central if you live in LA.
would be just a matter of tapping into the expertise direct.

for what its worth - and i don't run d jet but the later l-jet, but the EFI is the way to stay if you possibly can. i am a million miles from LA but i manage to keep her going the way she came which is pretty sweet running. the cars can be made to run on carbs but its a different camshaft and also sorts of things to make it right. the EFI engine with the stock cam etc just isn't really meant for carbs. don't give up just yet. beerchug.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jan 26 2024, 07:39 PM) *

Andrew, Welcome to the world. welcome.png

“I am still finding the fuel injection system finicky and unreliable and soul crushing.”

This sounds very bad, but I think that you have not worked it out yet. When the system is working good it will start up all the time even if you let it sit for a very long time. Not so with the Carbs as they are what is finicky. I am saying start right up and idle in a perfect way all the time and get great gas milage as well that is my experience with my 1974 2.0 back in 1979.

Some of the guys may have a different opinion on this but this is mine. I would try to get some help from some of the guys here. Jefferys premo Marthon Blue car is all stock. He is also local to you so lets hope that he speaks up.

Good luck and do not give up yet on the. Factory FI. - Your car looks great!!

Best Bob B also local, but I cannot help you bud

@burton73

FI was the correct choice for me in keeping with originality on a stock car. With the restoration completed over 3 years ago, the FI has run flawlessly for 6,000 miles.

Feel free to PM me if you would like the info to some local mechanics who can help.

driving.gif

Click to view attachment
fiacra
I've had a 1973 914 2.0 with carbs, but my current cars have the original FI system (both DJet and LJet). In my experience the FI system is much better. Starts and warms up easier, more fuel efficient, and no nasty gas smell. There is a learning curve, but once you have it dialed in you'll be much happier. It can be frustrating to get there, but it is a valuable journey. You've already restored your 914, so I think I can safely assume you have the skill set. Lots of resources/members in your area to help you out. Lots of threads on this site to see how others have solved their FI problems. Also lots of people who have given up and converted to carbs. Your car, your decision, but since you asked for opinions, sort out the FI..... beerchug.gif
KELTY360
Want to trade? I’ve got a ‘74 2.0 with 21k miles that was converted to Italian Weber carbs at some point in the ‘80s. It’s a survivor LE and I want to take it back to D-jet. The engine idles and runs smooth on the carbs but the car needs to return to OE specs. Let me know if you’re interested.
Ishley
I just finished my 72 restoration. A big job but I’m happy with it… I stayed with DJet and I’m glad I did.

DJet is a group of sub systems that all support the overall injection process. You have to break it down into the components and make sure each part functions properly.

I replaced my distributor with a 123 along with the coil. This eliminated all the issues around spark timing. Make sure your plugs are good and gapped properly.

Fuel pressure needs to be 27-30 pounds. I bought a cheap gauge and mounted it
In the engine bay. Easy to adjust now.

Another key part is head temp sensor. Test it with an ohm Meter or Get a new one… the car requires this to be providing the right values or the car won’t run.

Also.. I replaced the throttle position sensor board. Easy swap important for a smooth running car. The Aux air valve (AAR) needs to be checked and lubricated. The aar needs to close after the car warms up… again a simple fix.

These are all fairly easy checks and fixes that anyone can do.

Beyond this is the critical MPS. This requires some special handling. If it hasn’t been messed with (epoxy still in the adjustment plug) then it’s likely ok. You can pull it
And check that is holds vacuum pretty easily. If it does… at least you know it not
Broken. I adjusted it myself… but it takes special tools. I also added a AFR (air fuel ratio) gauge and and exhaust O2 sensor so I could tweak the MPS to get to the right ratio. It sounds complicated but it’s not that bad.

You just have to break it down into steps. New vacuum hoses and just make sure each part is right.

Carbs will introduce other headaches and system changes. I’ve never owned a carb’s 914, But others I know seem to spend time fiddling with them too. Just a different set of gremlins to chase. Once you get the DJet right… it should work very reliably.

That’s my two cents.

ClayPerrine
My opinion is to go to an aftermarket fuel injection kit. It will start and run like a new car, and be way more reliable and serviceable. And way more horsepower and fuel economy.

You can even get kits that replace the factory fuel injection while retaining the original throttle body, intake runners and air cleaner. So it looks stock until you look really close.

There are lots of kits out there that can be purchased with aftermarket EFI. Check them out before making a decision.

930cabman
welcome.png

It sounds as though your intent is original. In my opinion your fine looking example would be best with the Bosch FI.

All that said, I like my Weber carbs, but FI is better performing.

Best of luck
GregAmy
+1 on EFI.

+2 for conversion to Microsquirt if you have the stomach for it. See link in my sig for the drama and details on a stealth install.

My race car runs carbs, 'cause race car. I'd not want to convert my street car to carbs. - GA
Dominic
If you end up going the aftermarket EFI route, the Dub Shop makes a lot of components for our Air Cooled cars.

https://thedubshop.com/

welcome.png
Montreal914
welcome.png

Beautiful car, features, and stance!

D-Jet is very reliable. I daily drove my car with it for many years. I would definitely try to find the problem. Once you get it going, it will be a matter of refreshing points in the distributor at recommended intervals and just drive! driving.gif

You already have a nice harness for it, that is definitely a good start. MPS is key, but I would read this:

https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/DJetParts.htm

Definitely a lot of people in SoCal to help you. Sometimes, swapping one part at a time will help you figure out which one is bad. I have a decent selection if you want to try at some point.

You are at the right place for help! Don't get into the carb thing...
Root_Werks
welcome.png

There is a bunch of resources here to help with the FI.

If you have truly given up on D-Jet, but still want the benefit of FI, the Dub Shop can fix you up.
JamesM
QUOTE(AJH914 @ Jan 26 2024, 07:56 PM) *

Have you replaced your distributor with a 123dizzy? I find a lot of "d-jet problems" are actually distributor related issues. Replacing the stock distributor with the d-jet compatible version of the 123dizzy is probably the best thing you can do on a d-jet car to eliminate odd issues. Assuming your wiring harness is solid and the components are matched, the d-jet system itself is pretty simple.

That being said I personally probably wouldn't build another d-jet system from parts, the last one i did I only went d-jet because it happened to be a bumblebee I was bringing back to original. Aftermarket injection is the way forward for anyone looking to daily drive these things.

Carbs I wont even get into as I cant express my dislike for them enough.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.