Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust and header mismatch issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Hi folks, hope everyone is doing well. Finally had some time to start assembling another project and am dealing with a mismatch in parts.

Have Sierra Madre headers and what I thought was a 1974 exhaust.

Basically the headers are too long, or the flanges on the exhaust are too tall (far extended) from the rest of the muffler.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
rjames
You’ve got 1.7/1.8 liter type headers and a 2.0 liter type muffler. As you’ve discovered, they won’t line up.
Either configuration will work on your car, but you can’t mix the two. Looks like Sierra Nadre doesn’t differentiate between the two styles when ordering. I’d contact them to see what’s up as their web site is misleading by stating that the headers will fit all 70-76 cars. They will, but only if you have the correct muffler to match.
Tdskip
QUOTE(rjames @ Jan 31 2024, 04:50 PM) *

You’ve got 1.7/1.8 liter type headers and a 2.0 liter type muffler. As you’ve discovered, they wont line up.won’t line up.
Either configuration will work on your car, but you can’t mix the two. Looks like Sierra Nadre doesn’t differentiate between the two styles when ordering. I’d contact them to see what’s up as their web site is misleading by stating that the headers will fit all 70-76 cars. They will, but only if you have the correct muffler to match.

Thank you!

I will contact them, pretty frustrating.
rjames

Showing the differences in detail:
Click to view attachment
914Sixer
You have 1.7, 1.8. 2.0 ARE FLAT
Tdskip
Thanks - sent Sierra Madre a very specific email and referenced this information.

Thanks folks.
barefoot
When you get your correct muffler, check for excessive weld drop thru closing off some of the ID at those flanges. I'd obtained an old OEM 1.7 muffler with big drop thru and ground out this drop thru to get ID to the pipe size.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
Last I looked Sierra Madre does not offer their headers in the 2.0 configuration. Which is SUPER ANNOYING. I do not understand the decision to stock less popular and desirable headers for the 914.

Zach
rhodyguy
The picture of the headers on the SMC site clearly require 1.7/1.8 version mufflers. Expensive too. I would not waste the time sending and waiting for emails. I would call SMC directly.
Root_Werks
An oops for certain. I've ordered tons of stuff from SMC and would imagine they'd make this right.
Tdskip
Thanks gentlemen.

I spoke to them live this morning and sent them some of the documentation from this thread. The person I spoke with was very cooperative, and they are looking into it.

I also found other errors on the site that I have made them aware of.

Appreciate all the responses.
Tdskip
Quick update;

Sierra Madre website still listing wrong parts compatibility in multiple places

Alternative part that shows available to fix their error is actually 6-8 weeks away from being available.

I understand that running a vintage car business isn't the easiest thing to do, but you'd think they would care enough to prevent other people having the same issue.

Frustrating.
rjames
Totally frustrating especially since info on a web page is so easy to correct. I just ordered some stock torsion bars from them. Hopefully, what I actually get are the stock size bars.
I paid a bit more ordering through them because they had them on the shelf. Even Sway-Away didn’t have them in stock.
Tdskip
QUOTE(rjames @ Feb 6 2024, 05:59 PM) *

Totally frustrating especially since info on a web page is so easy to correct. I just ordered some stock torsion bars from them. Hopefully, what I actually get are the stock size bars.
I paid a bit more ordering through them because they had them on the shelf. Even Sway-Away didn’t have them in stock.

If you need them quickly you may want to give them a call to see if they actually have them because the customer service person just told me they list everything as available. That only means they could order it for potentially months away in delivery.

When it shows available on the website, they use a several day formula to show that you could have it between two and five days from now even if it isn’t something they actually have in stock
Tdskip
Hi folks - wanted to follow up to close this out.

Sierra Madre made this right. They took the incorrect ones back and gave me the sale price on the correct ones. Took three weeks but they showed up in good order and everything fits properly.

Appreciate everyone’s help on this and wanted to publicly state that Sierra Madre stood by their product / customer.

Thanks!
mepstein
beerchug.gif
rjames
Good to hear!
Aldo happy to say that the new torsion bars I ordered from them were correct and matched the stock measurements.
VaccaRabite
Does this mean that Sierra Madres actually has the correct 2.0 heat exchangers/headers now? Not just the 1.7 crap they have been peddling for the past 3 years?

Zach
porschetub
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Apr 22 2024, 10:22 AM) *

Hi folks - wanted to follow up to close this out.

Sierra Madre made this right. They took the incorrect ones back and gave me the sale price on the correct ones. Took three weeks but they showed up in good order and everything fits properly.

Appreciate everyone’s help on this and wanted to publicly state that Sierra Madre stood by their product / customer.

Thanks!

Wow appears they have got their act together ?,my dealing with them were 90% difficult and products were sub standard or simply didn't fit , I agree with the comments about stock on the website as often not in stock or is incorrect in description.
Perhaps they should look @ at a better business model as member vendors on here follow...food for thought as they say , I have been 100% happy with them.
Rant over ,cheers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.