Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: seat upholstery question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericoneal
To fix this seat, I need these two items?

Seat Material Kit
Seat bolters

Does the seat bolster just attach on each side as one piece? I saw Ian Karr stuffing them and this seems much easier if I can just attach them.

Click to view attachment
76-914
No. It covers both sides. Their kit comes complete with seat covers and back cover. 4 piece kit if you include a small 12" x 4" swath to cover the lower front part of the seat. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
This on has everything
https://914rubber.com/sewn-seat-material-kit

The other is just the sides and back section. Often it gets damaged while the center and base is still serviceable, so we sell it alone.
ericoneal
SO everything I need to do the entire seat?

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 4 2024, 11:06 AM) *

This on has everything

The other is just the sides and back section. Often it gets damaged while the center and base is still serviceable, so we sell it alone.

Montreal914
What about foams?

- Bolster
- Between that cross on the back
- Head rest
- Back rest
- Bottom cushion

What is available?
76-914
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Feb 4 2024, 08:09 PM) *

What about foams?

- Bolster
- Between that cross on the back
- Head rest
- Back rest
- Bottom cushion

What is available?

Nothing. You will need to re-use existing bolster & headrest foam or cannibalize an old seat. Those back pieces could be cut from a roll but aren't really necessary once the back cushion is in place. This is an excellent time to install seat heaters. beerchug.gif
76-914
QUOTE(ericoneal @ Feb 4 2024, 06:41 PM) *

SO everything I need to do the entire seat?

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 4 2024, 11:06 AM) *

This on has everything

Yep. beerchug.gif
mepstein
I re-upholstered a pair of seats using the 914rubber kit. It’s pretty easy if you take it step by step. I took one seat apart, documenting as I went. That and some threads on world gave me the info I needed to do the project. The only things I purchased was a pint of weldwood contact cement and a cheap heat gun.

The most important thing to understand is the process takes some time. You’re not going to get it done in an afternoon. Even just letting the glue dry between multiple coats takes 30+ minutes each time.

But if I can do it, anyone can. beerchug.gif
Mikey914
Everything is a big word.
I intended to say the center section and headrest, Base, and side bolster with headrest flap. You may need retainer clips. We sell as kits or individually Also check the adjuster handle and the hardware on the base.

https://914rubber.com/search/?q=seat+clip

Osnabruck914
Hate to say this, but hope you have a "woman" to help you with this. I thought I would be good at doing upholstery on my 914. My work was pretty shabby, until my wife intervened and did the finishing work. Result was a great job. Women just seem to be able to do this kind of work better.

Osnabruck914
TROJANMAN
Do you sell individual pieves to the kit?
Mikey914
Yes, that is why I posted the search link. You can see in the picture.

Price is better in kits, but really depends on how many you need.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(ericoneal @ Feb 3 2024, 10:45 PM) *

To fix this seat, I need these two items?

Seat Material Kit
Seat bolters

Does the seat bolster just attach on each side as one piece? I saw Ian Karr stuffing them and this seems much easier if I can just attach them.

Click to view attachment

you need a cushion recovering kit, a backrest kit, and a bolster kit. The bolster goes from one side to the other and around the back.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 8 2024, 10:14 AM) *

Yes, that is why I posted the search link. You can see in the picture.

Price is better in kits, but really depends on how many you need.

I see the sewn seat material kit, but I don't see the seat pads (only).

help?
Mikey914
We sell the base with the center sections.

Long story short, someone complained our bases didn't match the OEM 100%

As the material is not embossed like factory originals on the seems there was some confusion that lead us to just sell these as a package. Now we can assure a match.

No one makes the seat bases with the embossed seams. As the number of perfect back to go with them is minimal, it didn't pencil out to make exact reproductions, with tooling it would double the price.

Hope that makes sense
worn
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 5 2024, 08:11 AM) *

I re-upholstered a pair of seats using the 914rubber kit. It’s pretty easy if you take it step by step. I took one seat apart, documenting as I went. That and some threads on world gave me the info I needed to do the project. The only things I purchased was a pint of weldwood contact cement and a cheap heat gun.

The most important thing to understand is the process takes some time. You’re not going to get it done in an afternoon. Even just letting the glue dry between multiple coats takes 30+ minutes each time.

But if I can do it, anyone can. beerchug.gif

The key part of this post, or a key part, is to take only one seat apart at a time. That way, you still have a successful original seat assembled to refer to.
Mikey914
These seats are not too difficult. The problem area is making the headrest area look right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.