Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lookie what I got today!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DanT
Well,
I got these today.
Only one was polished like the picture.
Soooooo
4 hours later they all look like this now.

Paint was already stripped. But they had 30+ years of stuff on them. So lots of elbow grease and lots of sandpaper.
400 grit sandpaper
600 grit
1000 grit
1500 grit
Then a electric random orbital polisher and lots of Blue Cream mag wheel polish.

Next a nice coat of wax and there you have it.

Pretty nice for track wheels, huh?

Thanks to Tony A. for my new acquisition biggrin.gif
nebreitling
WAY too nice for track wheels! smilie_pokal.gif
Joe Ricard
Yep thems Purdy, They will make terrific track wheels. What tires you gonna put on them? Open track or Autocross. (it makes a diference)
DanT
Probably Vracers to start. Good compromise tire for AX and TT/DE.
Maybe a 2nd set of wheels (7 inch steelies) with Hoosiers for AX later on.
I was very pleased with the wheels. They aren't perfect but they look pretty good from 2 feet away. Just right for track wheels. They didn't look bad after the 1000 grit paper, but I wanted them all to match so had to go to the polisher and lots of mag wheel polish.
Oh well, nothing better to do on a Sat afternoon when there is no AX or TT to attend.
wink.gif
grantsfo
I thought you were converting to 5 lug? Did you change your mind?
DanT
4 lug for now....then 5 lug possibly at the end of next season. I want to try a few things with the 4 lugs first. Just depends on what I find over the next couple of months. A good friend of mine is converting his BR 914 to front coil overs and he has a complete 5 lug conversion he wants me to have. So when he gets around to making the change I will too.
Right now he is busy building a new, very hot motor.
Next thing for my car is PAINT.
Body man is going to clean up the few places of surface rust, weld up all the little extra holes from crappy mirrors, rear reflectors and warts and do a complete skim coat, block sand and 2 stage paint job. Smooth the top and paint to match car. Sand and Paint all rockers and front and rear valances. biggrin.gif
J P Stein
Nice, but I hate polishing wheels mad.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE (Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Aug 21 2005, 07:31 AM)
4 lug for now....then 5 lug possibly at the end of next season. I want to try a few things with the 4 lugs first. Just depends on what I find over the next couple of months. A good friend of mine is converting his BR 914 to front coil overs and he has a complete 5 lug conversion he wants me to have. So when he gets around to making the change I will too.
Right now he is busy building a new, very hot motor.
Next thing for my car is PAINT.
Body man is going to clean up the few places of surface rust, weld up all the little extra holes from crappy mirrors, rear reflectors and warts and do a complete skim coat, block sand and 2 stage paint job. Smooth the top and paint to match car. Sand and Paint all rockers and front and rear valances. biggrin.gif

What dispacement for the engine? Are you building to BP or its equivelent in the new classing scheme?
DanT
BP for now...when I do a complete rebuild then I will decide. I might keep it 2L but do some internal polishing and porting, and bump the compression a bit. My engine guru knows some tricks so we will see.

The new points system has no equivalent to any of our current classes.
A BP car will end up running against fairly stock 993s etc. At AX no problem...on the track at TT----big problem. I love 914s but a BP 2.0L running against a well driven 993 even on street tires at a track like Laguna. No contest...give me the 993, or Boxster or several other cars that will end up in the same points class...say 450-500 points.
mad.gif
The adhoc comm. that is proposing the points system has no answer for that situation and many others.

That is another entire thread! ohmy.gif
nebreitling
it is another thread, but i agree with you, Dan. the AX point system is pretty good, i think, but the TT system could use some, errrr, refinement...
DanT
Here are some pics of all 4 polished and waxed and ready to mount some sticky tires.
DanT
another
DanT
another
DanT
another
DanT
last one
RustyWa
Did you work on the recessed areas at all? If so, what did you do.
DanT
No, PO had stripped all of the black paint. I don't think he did any thing else to the black (recessed ) areas. Other than that all effort was on paddles and rims.
Midtowner
Hmmm, call me brain-dead but did you apply the sandpaper/polish to the recessed, anodized sections? BTW, the wheels look fantastic! clap.gif
DanT
No sand paper or polish on recessed areas. Only to paddles and rim of each wheel.
scrz914
Way to go Dan! I can't believe how fast you attacked all four wheels. I think it tool me two Saturdays to finish just one (first picture), and you finished the rest in one day? It's amazing how well alloys polish up.
BTW, the recesses still have the original anodizing (I'm guessing), very tough stuff. I was just going to tape them off and spray wheel silver over them.
Congrats.

Tony
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.