Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: 1972 914 with LOTS of upgrades.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
ibmiked
Hello,

After 8 years of ownership I have decided to move my 1972 914 on to the next owner. This is due in part to the fact that I have recently completed a 3 year restoration on my 1974 European MFI Carrera. There are lots of things to discuss so this will likely span multiple posts.

I purchased this car from the third owner in 2016. He purchased the car in 2002 with 41,820 original miles. He then proceeded to spend over $66,000 documented dollars on the car. He had the hell hole and right rocker replaced, and the entire car repainted to a very high standard. Even 20+ years later it is in very nice driver condition.

He also had the engine rebuilt as follows: "Raby Aircooled Technology Type 4 engine, 2056cc, 160hp.: flowed, large valve heads, stroked crank, h-beam rods, big bore cylinders, high compression coated pistons, all parts precision balanced, long duration high lift cam, ceramic coated canm followers, high output oil pump, remote oil filter, front valance mounted oil cooler with thermostat, 40 IDF Webers with match-ported manifolds, Mallory distributor, CDi box and rev limiter, stainless steel exchangers, ceramic coated headers."

As you can see, he was very intent on making this car a performer and I have all the invoices for the work he did during his 14 year ownership. When I purchased the car in 2016, it had 55,500 miles. It now has 63,825 original miles.

The list of work that I have done totals another documented $45,000 in the eight years. That work will be detailed in the next post.

SOLD.

Thanks for looking, someone is going to get a terrific 914.
-Mike

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ibmiked
During my ownership the car was upgraded to a 911 front suspension with Bilsteins and the rear was converted to 5 lugs. I purchased and rebuilt a side shift transmission and upgraded the entire shift linkage with a combination of parts, most from Tangerine racing. The car shifts beautifully with absolutely no slop. There was no need for a Rennshift after all the work, so the car retains it's correct 901 looking shifter, although it has been upgraded as well. The way this car shifts will not disappoint anyone who has driven a proper 901 in a 911.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ibmiked
As you can see in the following pictures, the hell hole was properly repaired and the battery and fuel pump relocated to the front trunk. The battery is a lightweight lithium unit that comes with it's own trickle charger. All of the suspension towers and trunk floors are perfect.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ibmiked
Some of the more interesting upgrades include spending damn near $2k on a bluetooth stereo system. There is no head unit, you stream music from your phone. The car connects and acts like any external speaker or set of earbuds. It's very trick. There are combination tweeters/mids in the factory location and a 10" Kicker sub under the dashboard. I also replaced the dash with a unit from one of the vendors here on this forum.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ibmiked
I also had the 380mm steering wheel 'shrunk' to 350mm so that it worked better with the Scheel racing seat that is in the car.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ibmiked
The car has full instrumentation, including cylinder head temps, voltmeter, oil pressure, clock, and outside temperature gauge.

Click to view attachment
ibmiked
Also added was a Saratoga Top (the original also comes with the car) and Ski Rack. The top has a crack at the back of the driver side, but it remains watertight. The car also has seat heater on both driver and passenger seats. I also installed an LED center high mounted third brake light.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ibmiked
I think that's it for now. The car had a full service in 2022 that set me back $2,200. It does leave a few drops of oil on the garage floor if not driven regularly. By my estimation of the receipts, it has been driven approximately 21,000 miles in the last 22 years since the complete engine rebuild.

The car comes with factory 7" Fuchs with 195 Goodyears, or the buyer can choose my set of American Racing aluminum wheels with 195 Michelin tires that are less than a year old. Buyer's choice but the price stays the same or you can have both sets for an additional $2,000.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
sb914
Looks fantastic!
Great price as well ..
nditiz1
If I was in the market for a sorted+ teener, this would be it. Great mods and price.

Just for comparison, my 6 conversion sold last year for 30k. The engine sounded great being a 6 (2.4), but not as much horsepower as this Raby. You can't build this car for this price, it won't last.

5-lug setup with fuchs
Saratoga top - drooley.gif
Raby engine - drooley.gif
Heated Scheel seats with hot plaid
ibmiked
QUOTE(sb914 @ Feb 6 2024, 09:54 AM) *

Looks fantastic!
Great price as well ..

Thanks! I should add that the dash was from 914 Rubber ($618). Also, the headlights have been upgraded to LED (Trucklite) and the car has a sport muffler (Triad West Performance).

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
TonyA
Looks like a great deal. And the lunch crowd is looking at it hello Cal and Travis.
ibmiked
QUOTE(TonyA @ Feb 6 2024, 01:27 PM) *

Looks like a great deal. And the lunch crowd is looking at it hello Cal and Travis.

Thanks!

I also forgot to mention that the seatbelts were upgraded to retractable units as well.
BillJ
Any details on how you mounted the driving lights?
ibmiked
QUOTE(BillJ @ Feb 6 2024, 04:04 PM) *

Any details on how you mounted the driving lights?

Sure, I made two brackets out of aluminum and mounted them under the bumper using existing holes. My plan was to go back eventually and make them from angle iron because they do wobble slightly on rough road.
OrangeBones
QUOTE(TonyA @ Feb 6 2024, 12:27 PM) *

I was drooling over it. My car wants to be just like this when it grows up!

GLWS!
Jett
Great looking car at a very reasonable priceā€¦
ibmiked
Thanks everyone.

I received a request for pictures of the engine and floors. I hope these help give an idea of what a buyer would be getting. I did rinse off the undercarriage just so you can see the details. The car also has an uprated 160 amp alternator from Peter Newman here on the forum; http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=195244

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cal
This is a great 914 and the owner, Mike, is very trust worthy and a stand up guy. He's been in the Porsche community for a long time and has owned / restored many 911's.

In fact, my 914 was the actual inspiration for this 914 build.....

GLWS Mike!
beltwerks
If i had my 996 Sold this would be on it's way to me in the UK. Great looking car.
ibmiked
QUOTE(Cal @ Feb 8 2024, 01:42 PM) *

This is a great 914 and the owner, Mike, is very trust worthy and a stand up guy. He's been in the Porsche community for a long time and has owned / restored many 911's.

In fact, my 914 was the actual inspiration for this 914 build.....

GLWS Mike!

Every word that Jeff said is true! biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I would never have gone to such great lengths if it hadn't been for his car.
ibmiked
Pictures of the driving lights and included covers.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
sithot
QUOTE(ibmiked @ Feb 5 2024, 04:14 PM) *

I also had the 380mm steering wheel 'shrunk' to 350mm so that it worked better with the Scheel racing seat that is in the car.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Very nice, Mike! Along the lines of ingress/egress from the 914:

Here's a couple of squatty body wheels I have. Rear engine only car or one with power steering. biggrin.gif Click to view attachment
Racemark is about 310mm and fat as heck
Click to view attachment
The Protoptipo is 320, Date 1981; It is the prettier wheel
wmark
Exactly what I'm looking for, and in the right price range, but I'm about 6 months from being able to pull the trigger. <sigh>
ibmiked
This car has now been sold.
ibmiked

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Those wheels are freaking awesome aktion035.gif
Gearup
Ok. Off topic. How were you able to add so many pictures to each post. I can only get one or two before iit runs out of space.
flat4guy
Beautiful car - I am glad I do not have room otherwise this would be on it's way to the west coast. GLWS
ibmiked
Thank you everyone, this car has found it's next caretaker on the West Coast. The new owner opted not to take the Scheel sport seats with blue tartan or the ski rack, so I will be listing those for sale. I appreciate all of the kind words and feedback, it's a great car and should bring the new owner years of joy (as it did me).
ibmiked
QUOTE(ibmiked @ Feb 23 2024, 07:07 AM) *

Thank you everyone, this car has found it's next caretaker on the West Coast. The new owner opted not to take the Scheel sport seats with blue tartan or the ski rack, so I will be listing those for sale. I appreciate all of the kind words and feedback, it's a great car and should bring the new owner years of joy (as it did me).

I should mention that the new owner also chose the Fuchs, so anyone interested in the extra set of wheels and tires, please PM me. I will list them separately here as well. It turns out that the Scheels were on a modified base and are not for the 914 originally so I'll likely keep them for a future 911 project.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.