Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Color code 2210
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Blown59
I just snagged a 71 I plan on using for parts. The car looks to have been repainted twice. A yellow and then covered in a red. It also seems the rocker covers and sill covers have never been removed as they still have all the plastic rivets attaching them.

2210 is the color code shown as pictured below

I can't seem to find any info on this color code.... Or have I just not searched hard enough?
wonkipop
even google image search can't get me an answer on that one?

could number be 7210?

is that yellow original factory paint?

confused24.gif
windforfun
Talk to George at AA. Cheers.

beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
Blown59
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Feb 6 2024, 08:51 PM) *

even google image search can't get me an answer on that one?

could number be 7210?

is that yellow original factory paint?

confused24.gif

I was wondering the same things. I even looked for a 7210 and 2270 code and couldn't find them. And not certain on the yellow being factory. Some indicators lead me to believe it's possible.

I have not stripped or pulled all carpet back yet. But yellow is what seems to be the base color. And as I mentioned previously, the rocker covers and sill plates still have all the original plastic rivets installed. It looks like they were masked off when painted red. They masked those areas, the vin sticker on the drives door, Karman plate, front trunk ID plate and seemingly took their time in doing so. Then it seems no time was taken to mask the harness and painted over most of the exposed side of it.
wonkipop
@Blown59

i did come across this.
the porsche and in some cases VW paint code is on the left side of the swatch.
on the far right column are some other alternative VW or Porsche codes used for the same color.
(all the other codes to right of swatch are alternative manufacturers codes for the color - eg ppg, dupont etc but not the original factory paint supplier).

Click to view attachment

if the yellow paint in your photo is the factory paint its possible its canary yellow and the factory plate is mis-stamped. there are other examples of mistake plates on cars.
might have been meant to be 2910. confused24.gif
Blown59
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Feb 7 2024, 02:59 PM) *

@Blown59

i did come across this.
the porsche and in some cases VW paint code is on the left side of the swatch.
on the far right column are some other alternative VW or Porsche codes used for the same color.
(all the other codes to right of swatch are alternative manufacturers codes for the color - eg ppg, dupont etc but not the original factory paint supplier).

Click to view attachment

if the yellow paint in your photo is the factory paint its possible its canary yellow and the factory plate is mis-stamped. there are other examples of mistake plates on cars.
might have been meant to be 2910. confused24.gif

That's an interesting theory. I was not aware of mis-stamped plates, but I guess it stands to reason. And IF that were to be the case, it would be an even better end to the story if the car were to have same kind of value as an error coin or baseball card. aktion035.gif
Literati914
Mopar’s ‘plum crazy’ is code 2210, maybe done as a PTS one off confused24.gif , any sign of purple anywhere?

davep
First, that paint code is not the correct format for a 914 (4 or 6); it should start with an L for a 914/4. So, since it looks like 7210 which is Signal Yellow, and not a standard 914 color, then it must have been a "custom" paint request. This is well worth documenting with a certificate of some sort.
What is the VIN of this 71 you have; I know it is not 4712900978 that has code L11E
Blown59
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Feb 8 2024, 11:48 AM) *

Mopar’s ‘plum crazy’ is code 2210, maybe done as a PTS one off confused24.gif , any sign of purple anywhere?

I learned that as well when I did my Google search. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(davep @ Feb 8 2024, 01:25 PM) *

First, that paint code is not the correct format for a 914 (4 or 6); it should start with an L for a 914/4. So, since it looks like 7210 which is Signal Yellow, and not a standard 914 color, then it must have been a "custom" paint request. This is well worth documenting with a certificate of some sort.
What is the VIN of this 71 you have; I know it is not 4712900978 that has code L11E

Upon further review, it seems youre correct. I had to take about 20 pics to get the camera to focus in the jamb to get a somewhat clear pic. Here are some photos of the car and its ID locations.Click to view attachment
Blown59
Click to view attachment
Blown59
Click to view attachment
Blown59
Click to view attachment
Blown59
Click to view attachment
Blown59
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(davep @ Feb 8 2024, 11:25 AM) *
So, since it looks like 7210 which is Signal Yellow, and not a standard 914 color, then it must have been a "custom" paint request. This is well worth documenting with a certificate of some sort.

idea.gif
Blown59
Correct me if Im wrong, but Porsche does not do COA's anymore, correct? How would one go about finding out if this was a special/custom order color/paint to sample? I really want/need this for a parts car as its the reason behind the aquisition. But now Im feeling nostalgic and like Im doing something wrong by wanting to strip it for parts...
SirAndy
QUOTE(Blown59 @ Feb 11 2024, 04:37 PM) *

... special/custom order color/paint to sample ...

Thing is, even if it was "special/custom/paint to sample", this is still an incorrectly stamped plate, which is why it is so intriguing.

Porsche still sort of does a COA of sorts, but you basically have to supply all the information, which defeats the whole purpose.

Maybe @davep can help with his services?
idea.gif
davep
From Karmann's perspective, this was the way that they did 911 paint codes at that time, and this was a 911 color. It is a VERY nice color. I can definitely assist with getting the data for my CoA type of document. Since these custom colors are so rare, and I do not know of another signal yellow 914, perhaps someone should consider restoring this car.
wonkipop
QUOTE(davep @ Feb 11 2024, 10:47 PM) *

From Karmann's perspective, this was the way that they did 911 paint codes at that time, and this was a 911 color. It is a VERY nice color. I can definitely assist with getting the data for my CoA type of document. Since these custom colors are so rare, and I do not know of another signal yellow 914, perhaps someone should consider restoring this car.

reckon you are right mate. beerchug.gif
its not really a custom color. its a customer request for a porsche color rather than a VW color. 914s were painted VW colors. so makes sense its got a porsche color code
#. standard porsche color. not really custom.

i would bet my bottom dollar there are a few other or were a few other 914/4s floating about out there that had similar specs. just you don;t or would not come across them often.

at least i had that guess right about a million posts ago that it was 7210.
but i did not find anything that connected 7210 to porsche yellow.

wonkipop
QUOTE(Blown59 @ Feb 11 2024, 04:34 PM) *

got a few other tasty porkers in your garage there. nice. beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
Blown59
duplicate
Blown59
duplicate
Blown59
duplicate
Blown59
With the help of @davep and @dr914 @autoatlanta.com I think we have pretty much concluded we have a special order color.

Karmann plate seems to be original and the body numbers confirm.

George has a special order color card but a later model year. The Karmann plate in his car has a "99" for the color code. He said the Porsche color code was new to him too.

I guess its time to get a COA or the newer version of the COA to document the color.

Im not wanting to do a factory restoration, I like to restomod/hotrod/customize/bastardize my cars to my liking. So, this will probably be going up for sale in the near future. If youre looking for a 1 of 1 car, let me know. I know a guy... smile.gif

Click to view attachment
click the photo and it wont read upside down.
Blown59
Click to view attachment

Body number matches the Karmann plate
Blown59
A better pic of the yellow paint

Click to view attachment

davep
That rear trunk appears to be in great condition; if the rest of the car is as nice, then it is a good candidate.
davep
actual paint code, according to the badge, is 7210. That code means Signal yellow (72) with a Black Targa top (10)
Blown59
It seems that this is actually a pretty unique vehicle. Sara Edie of Porsche Classic was able to help further this investigation along. Unfortunately, there is no Kardex available as they ended in 69. But there is some information available from the build sheet and it seems this is a "custom" color car but the build sheet did not verify which color it was. Hoping some help from Germany will clarify this even more.

At this point, I cannot see chopping this car for the parts car for which I intended it. It should be saved, but I am not a factory restoration kinda guy. I much prefer my custom and modified cars. So, this will be going up for sale.

If anyone has any interest and needs more pictures, please feel free to message me for more information. I will be placing this in the classified section as well.
BENBRO02
QUOTE(Blown59 @ Feb 29 2024, 04:44 PM) *

It seems that this is actually a pretty unique vehicle. Sara Edie of Porsche Classic was able to help further this investigation along. Unfortunately, there is no Kardex available as they ended in 69. But there is some information available from the build sheet and it seems this is a "custom" color car but the build sheet did not verify which color it was. Hoping some help from Germany will clarify this even more.

At this point, I cannot see chopping this car for the parts car for which I intended it. It should be saved, but I am not a factory restoration kinda guy. I much prefer my custom and modified cars. So, this will be going up for sale.

If anyone has any interest and needs more pictures, please feel free to message me for more information. I will be placing this in the classified section as well.

Because it is a custom color, I believe you’re making the correct decision to sell it to someone that will restore it to stock and you can buy another to modify.
rgalla9146
In the trunk it looks juat like Canary yellow... which is a standard attractive choice.
In the crash pics it looks a little more like Signal orange.
Puzzling.
Strange to choose and pay for a color so close to what was readily available.
davep
In 1970 & 71 the only yellow was Lemon yellow (aka Canary, but in German it was Zitron). So Signal yellow was a significant departure in shade.
Signal yellow
Click to view attachment
Lemon yellow
Click to view attachment
Blown59
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 1 2024, 08:17 AM) *

In the trunk it looks juat like Canary yellow... which is a standard attractive choice.
In the crash pics it looks a little more like Signal orange.
Puzzling.
Strange to choose and pay for a color so close to what was readily available.

The colors do seem different in my pics, but I attribute that to the lighting and angles.

Blown59
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Feb 12 2024, 12:34 AM) *

QUOTE(Blown59 @ Feb 11 2024, 04:34 PM) *

got a few other tasty porkers in your garage there. nice. beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

Thank you! There an '01 986, '87 951 with some Lindsey Racing goods, '70 & '71 914s and '02 Outback now as it is my EZ30 H6 donor for the '70 914.

I'm definitely running out of room and really would to move this Signal Yellow to a new home where it will get the attention it deserves. Someone has to want or be intrigued by this car.... bring me an offer and let's get a deal done!!
VaccaRabite
Man... Signal Yellow is such a cool color! I've never thought of it on a 914 but I bet it would look KILLER. I can't imagine someone painting over it with RED.

No accounting for taste, I suppose.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.