Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nice article on 914/4s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carreraguy
On Friday I went to the Concorso Italiano, a big Italian exotics car show that is put on the same weekend as the Laguna Seca Historics, Pebble Beach Concours etc. I'm just now checking out one of the freebies; a mag (new to me) called "Sports Car Market - an Insider's Guide to Investing, Values and Trends". Lo and behold on page 50 was a decent article on "The Second Coming of the 914-4". The author, Jim Schrager (anyone know him?), is basically saying that the 914 is where the 356 was about 10 years ago. It had some decent tips re: what to look for etc. and was very positive on the 914. Some quotes: "Be prepared for some long stares from those who don't know what it is as you motor around in your 914, as well as long, friendly discussions with former owners, of whom there are plenty." and "While the 356 has moved from daily-driver status to collectible and their prices have soared, the 914 has moved into position as the vintage car of choice, with a true period driving experience at an affordable price." I'll try to scan the article at work on Monday if anyone is interested. Since I'm a big Ferrari fan, I took a lot of pics too but I'm sure most would not be interested in seeing all that "Italian trash". Attached is one pic which I think we can all agree is worth posting.
Jacco
Hey Tom,

I wouldn't mind seeing more of those uhmmm.... cars
The lines on those younger italian models are very interesting so please post some more pictures.

greets
Jacco
Jeroen
nice bumpers w00t.gif
mack914
Keep your eyes on the road..before you get rear ended!!! icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif
DNHunt
The one on the left has to be a 74. Front and rear bumperettes. Maybe that's why I like my 74. wub.gif

Dave
Maltese Falcon
Tom, definitely scan/ post the article--it's a must read for me !
Back in 1997 when the 986 came out, a staff writer for the L.A. Times, Paul Dean, wrote up the article "Racy Boxster Makes the Heart Quicken" . In the article he takes you through some of his personal sports car observations, such as: "Although always considered puppy-cute, the Dino Ferrari of the 70's remains a reject amoung collectors because of its Fiat engine, seperated at birth from a washing machine" .
I'll take a 246 "Chairs & Flairs" Dino anyday smilie_pokal.gif

Then Mr. Dean strikes a nerve: "Most potted histories of Porsche ignore the unfortunate 914 with its Volkswagen engine, most buyers are still in therapy."
That sentence earned him a phone call from me , and I urged him to take a ride with me in the black car. He came away enlightened from our discussion--but wouldn't take me up on the ride wacko.gif Too bad 914club didn't happen yet...he would have been served ; )
BTW, always a nice T & A show in Monterey !
Marty
carreraguy
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Aug 21 2005, 05:03 AM)
nice bumpers w00t.gif

Yep - I think they are both '76 "models"

Will post a few pics of actual cars soon. Some, like the new Ferrari "Superamerica", were really interesting.
Gint
I'd love to see a scan of the article. And the pictures...
michel richard
The guy in the white shirt and red cap obviously has his priorities all wrong.
carreraguy
QUOTE (michel richard @ Aug 21 2005, 05:51 PM)
The guy in the white shirt and red cap obviously has his priorities all wrong.

He was likely talking to his wife and trying to look nonchalant! laugh.gif

Will scan the article today and get it out to those who requested it.
jr91472
QUOTE (carreraguy @ Aug 22 2005, 10:04 AM)
Will scan the article today and get it out to those who requested it.

put me on the list please! biggrin.gif
anthony
Tom, was that your Club Sport parked in the Porsche Corral? I was there in my black SC. I saw Olav's car and his lawn chairs but not him.

Who owned the oranged 914-6 3.6 conversion with GT flares? License plate was ITS A 914 (I think).

anthony
BTW, I don't think the 914 is where the 356 was 10 years ago. They've got a ways to go. I'd say that the early 911s now are where the 356es were 10+ years ago.
michel richard
I'd love to get the article too. michrich@videotron.ca
carreraguy
QUOTE (anthony @ Aug 22 2005, 02:43 PM)
Tom, was that your Club Sport parked in the Porsche Corral? I was there in my black SC. I saw Olav's car and his lawn chairs but not him.

Who owned the oranged 914-6 3.6 conversion with GT flares? License plate was ITS A 914 (I think).

Anthony:
Yep that was mine - didn't stick around the CS much, I was too busy checking out all the Italian exotica!

I did see your car too - really nice; you must be one of the members of the SCWDP?! I saw Olaf's car too; I talked to him only briefly. Didn't see the other Teener though; Olaf's was the only one I saw in the corral.

All:
Anyone wanting a .pdf of the above-discussed article, please PM me with your email address; I'm having probs loading it into the Club system.
olav
Here's the first paragraph...

olav

Second paragraph...

olav

Part III

olav
Part IV

olav
Part V

olav

Last one Part VI

olav

Hopefully you can read it!
carreraguy
Lets see if it works now -
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.