Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: any comments on the triumph gt6+?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
emerygt350
Looking at one this weekend. Any thoughts on them? My younger son is an 11 year old that wants an old British car.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

It's not close to perfect. It looks like late model doors as it has the recessed door handles but I don't think those appeared till the mkiii.
GregAmy
I've got a buddy up here in the Northeast that has at least a couple and races one in SCCA's E Production category. PM your info and I'll send it to him.

It's a sickness.

Edit: unless you're buying it from AnthonyP out of NH? How many people actually have these? Anthony's a straight-shooter. A bit strange at times (you can tell him I said that) but a good guy.
73-914
Lucas electrics "The Prince of Darkness" happy11.gif
Is it raining? Wipers will quit working.
Is it nighttime? Headlights will quit working.
Need to defrost windshield? Heater fan will stop.
technicalninja
Having raised three male monsters, I'd wait.

His taste will change between now and then and when I put my boys in their first cars I intentionally choose "ego-killing" cars.

1st was a 95 Grand voyager that we called "the dumpster on wheels"

2nd was a 92 Accord 4 cyl auto station wagon (CB7- There's fan boys for these).

3rd was a 04 Odyssey.

These were AWESOME choices!

All their friends wanted to "go" in the large capacity vehicles which makes your kid "the boss".

None of them were "raceable".

All had modern safety features (ABS, airbags)

All had good heat and air.

None of them were worth anything.

They were larger than 50% of what's on the road.

Minivans DO NOT attract anything, especially the Police!

Small female "harem" loved the Dumpster which made Bryan EARLY for school as he wanted the closest parking to the building exit to take them out to lunch.

When one of the harems mothers wasted an Accord on the back of the Dumpster it didn't matter...

Now, a GT6 is an undervalued British sports car. Find a nice un-rusted one and it's probably a good thing to buy now.

More work than a 914 in the long run...

Probably the 914 will always be worth double what a GT6 is worth.

I'd recommend S30 Datsun Z car for better performance and far less mechanical bullshit but good S30 cost what good 914s do nowadays...
930cabman
How does one spell LUCAS?

I have never been fond of the Brit machines
JmuRiz
Rust...30 years ago my brother's friend had one that looked more like the Flintstone-mobile smile.gif

FWIW, I think they are very cool looking and there is a lot of aftermarket support (at least there was back when I subscribed to Hemmings Sport and Classic magazine). 5-speed upgrades, efi etc.
slowrodent
I've owned 3 (or 4?) TR6s... I've always been fond of the lines of the GT6... They are not fast by any means, but can be tweaked to get more power.

They are fundamentally simple cars to work on. Restoration parts are readily available.
(or at least they were so about 10 yrs ago) (Moss Motors, The Roadster Factory)

They are prone to some frame rust, particularly where the rear suspension connects.
so I'd be sure to look into that. My last TR had an overdrive which made highway cruising much more pleasant.

Exhaust note of an old Brit inline-6 is so sweet! And in general that engine is quite durable.

As a youngster I drove mine from the DC beltway to my home In Pa. both winter and summer. It never let me down smile.gif

Brit cars like most others like to be driven. They are not happy after sitting for a long time;

Go for it!

Kevin

emerygt350
This one is local. there just seems to be so little to it I feel like the electrical demons should be fixable (famous last words).

Definitely agree with giving them caravans for first cars. This would be a father son project kind of thing.
Tim17
I have a 1970 GT6 that I restored. I love the way it looks, sounds and drives. I agree that these cars can have rust issues (gee I think my 914 does too). Parts are readily available and cheaper than 914 parts. The engine is super accessible unlike the 914. There’s an equally helpful and knowledgeable forum https://www.triumphexp.com.
I ended up doing a Lucas-ecotomy on mine partly because the previous owner had hacked up the harness.
These GT6’s aren’t very common and are becoming more valuable, but it’s still easy to spend more on them than you can sell them for. I don’t plan on selling mine anytime soon.
Here’s a link to my journal
https://www.triumphexp.com/journal/Tim-Higginss-GT6.6543/toc.

And a couple pics of my car.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

windforfun
IMHO, I would avoid that car like the plague. I had a fairly new Spitfire when I was a kid & it was a plague. With problems that is. You couldn't even close the doors if you weren't on level ground. Buy a Honda or Toyota.

sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif
Tim17
Duplicate post deleted
windforfun
QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 7 2024, 01:25 PM) *

How does one spell LUCAS?

I have never been fond of the Brit machines

I totally agree. Maybe an Aston Martin, but they're in the shop rather frequently. I'm too old now for that kind of horse shit. Especially for that much money.
emerygt350
Wow, that is gorgeous. Such an interesting body design.
Olympic 914

Slightly OT .. But the Roadster Factory Burned to the ground Christmas day 2023.

Many local friends that are British car owners are quite saddened

https://www.tribdem.com/news/photo-gallery-...d63b1e0b1d.html
930cabman
+1 with the father and son project.

His $ or dads?
worn
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Feb 7 2024, 04:08 PM) *

Slightly OT .. But the Roadster Factory Burned to the ground Christmas day 2023.

Many local friends that are British car owners are quite saddened

https://www.tribdem.com/news/photo-gallery-...d63b1e0b1d.html

Ohhhh noooo!!
I have the prince of darkness t shirt, but the same thing can be said about Porsche and Bosch. Except that Porsche ran earth wires. I love my TR6, but I love driving my 914.
Gonna counter the negatives. The parts are about a third the cost and well supported. The engines are far far easier to rebuild. The LBC s look great, and follow a lot of tradition. The wrenches use dimensions divisible by 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 and 12. While metric numbers are sizes divided only by 2 and 5. A rare instance of metric shortcomings.
They are underpowered like the 914, but I am guessing that the 914 handles modified power a bit better. I love the 6 in my TR6.
Drove the teener more than 10 times more miles last year…
Jamie
A kid's first car should be an armored tank! With air bags!
emerygt350
My first car was an opel gt (at 14). Sometimes the kids can handle it. Probably not my son though, this would be project car not his first driver.
emerygt350
And yeah, my money.
Bullethead
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Feb 7 2024, 03:51 PM) *

Looking at one this weekend. Any thoughts on them? My younger son is an 11 year old that wants an old British car.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

It's not close to perfect. It looks like late model doors as it has the recessed door handles but I don't think those appeared till the mkiii.

Had a buddy with one, I remember it as a long-legged GT in the classic sense with a smooth I6 that had open service access with the front flipped up. Good handling and the Michelotti styling is definitively Triumph. My big Healy was faster but a truck in comparison, a mutual friend that cruised with us had a Fairlady 2000. Great car... when the 240Z arrived at Datsun dealerships, we all realized Britcar days were numbered.

Still handsome cars. If it's a solid example and fairly priced, hard to see real downside. GLWTP! driving.gif
Front yard mechanic
Great car they coast a long time after the electric goes out and their light so your girlfriend can push real easy cheer.gif
technicalninja
Easy engine access and lots of room for something else!

The car in the first post still has the knockoffs; I bet those are worth something now and will only get more valuable. (can you say "Gas Burner?").

Tim17's car is nice. I'd run through his thread to see what others have done. I love those wheels on Tim's car. They look like they belong.

Ultimate GT6...
The aluminum V8 that Rover bought from GM (BOP 215, TR8 and a bunch of Rover stuff).
Modern digital FI and ITBs.
5 speed.

That would make it NOT slow...

Maybe adding escargot. Modern FI and a snail might help!
Superhawk996
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Feb 7 2024, 06:04 PM) *

This one is local. there just seems to be so little to it I feel like the electrical demons should be fixable (famous last words).

av-943.gif
Your naivety is charming mate.

Let me be clear I know nothing of the GT6. I do have an experience with Britt bikes though.

Things for you to investigate:
  • Positive earth ground
  • Whitworth thread form
  • Whitworth tools
  • British Fine Thread
  • Unified threads
  • Ticklers
It takes a special kind of screwy.gif to mess with Britt machines

http://www.gt6mk2.com/threads.html
Let the fact that this link had to be documented serve as a warning. chair.gif

That’s not even mentioning the Lucas stuff that the others are all over laugh.gif
GregAmy
Racing against AnthonyP's GT6+...that thing sounds GORGEOUS. Everyone on pit wall commented about incredible that thing sounded going by..."best sounding car of the weekend".

But yeah, it's all about the passion.
930cabman
QUOTE(Jamie @ Feb 7 2024, 07:47 PM) *

A kid's first car should be an armored tank! With air bags!

Or a "dumpster on wheels" as mentioned earlier
Beach914
Grew up with British cars, Austin Healeys, Mg's, Jaguars. Only problem I ever had was a fuel pump on my 68 MGB GT. I've had similar trouble with Bosch electricals in my Mercedes.

I've seen, and bought plenty of British project cars where the electricals have been hacked and spliced into by some backyard bonehead and screwed everything up.

Triumph GT6 has been on my nice-to-have list for some time. Missed out on a real clean one in San Jose middle of last year.
mmichalik
Growing up, my father owned two body shops in town. Every time a British car would show up, he pulled out the dad joke: You know why the British do not make TV's? They can't figure out how to make them leak oil

laugh.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
buy an MGB GT instead. MUCH easier to find parts, drives and handles better, worth more, looks better, AND dr914 approved for a less expensive classic british sports car!
Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Click to view attachment
emerygt350
They are nice, but I just can't love the slab sided mgs... I like the curves.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
The mga was beautiful, the mgb convertible yes, very slab sided. THE GT pininfarina designed and beautiful

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Feb 8 2024, 10:12 AM) *

They are nice, but I just can't love the slab sided mgs... I like the curves.

Spoke
I have a little experience with the electrical issues with Triumphs. I make rear LEDs for TR6 and Spitfire. When I was developing the lights, I showed pictures and several guys questioned why I had the BAY15D and BA15S bulb bases for connection. Turns out the OEM light sockets are crap. I make the LEDs now with ring and spade connectors to connect directly to the wire harness.
914sgofast2
The major problem with a GT6 is whether you, and your son, will fit into it. Your son probably has not yet had his big teenage growth spurt, since he is only 11 years old.

Around 50 years ago when I was 100 lbs lighter (I am 6 ft. tall and weigh 250 lbs) I sat in one that I was considering buying and found that I could barely fit into it comfortably. Getting in and out was an exercise in contorting myself. These small Triumphs must have been designed around people who were 5ft 2 inches tall.

In my opinion, the GT6 is a car that you wear, rather than a car you ride in. With that said, if you can fit comfortably into it, then buy it.

They are easy to work on and Triumph parts are still readily available in the USA and England. Just go around the car and clean up all the grounding points for the electrical system with a generous dose of DeoxIt, and the Lucas system should function well. The best thing about them is that there are no computer systems and electrical sensors to burn out.
jd74914
agree.gif

You do need to fit. Little headroom and small pedal boxes. I always wanted one, but really was never comfortable in one (6'1" tall, mostly torso). Same is true of the drop top TR6s and TR7s-top of the windshield is literally at my eye level.
windforfun
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Feb 8 2024, 12:15 PM) *

The major problem with a GT6 is whether you, and your son, will fit into it. Your son probably has not yet had his big teenage growth spurt, since he is only 11 years old.

Around 50 years ago when I was 100 lbs lighter (I am 6 ft. tall and weigh 250 lbs) I sat in one that I was considering buying and found that I could barely fit into it comfortably. Getting in and out was an exercise in contorting myself. These small Triumphs must have been designed around people who were 5ft 2 inches tall.

In my opinion, the GT6 is a car that you wear, rather than a car you ride in. With that said, if you can fit comfortably into it, then buy it.

They are easy to work on and Triumph parts are still readily available in the USA and England. Just go around the car and clean up all the grounding points for the electrical system with a generous dose of DeoxIt, and the Lucas system should function well. The best thing about them is that there are no computer systems and electrical sensors to burn out.

The major problem is reliability. Yes?

blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
nimblemotorsports
I have a 67 GT6, I got it free and spent $150 to get the missing body parts.

You should check out the youtube channel of this build. https://www.youtube.com/@FanatikBuilds
Father and son project they restored it first before selling all the restored parts to make it totally custom v8 build. It took many years he isn't so young anymore. lol

I'd suggest a Midget instead, they are maybe slightly smaller and just as easy to work on. But the GT6 is more rare and more unusual if that floats your boat, and being a body on frame it has its advantages regarding rust.
emerygt350
The size thing is my biggest worry. I have been emailing with Anthony P. (thanks gregamy!) And that is something he mentioned as well. I am going to look at it tomorrow morning and will see what I think. I am a broad shouldered 6'1 240 pounds so I am suspecting it might not work.
mrholland2
My first car was a 1967 Triumph Spitfire. I was 14 and bought it for $25 because I got it running. . that was the deal. The electrical system never lost smoke. Positive ground isn't a big deal-American cars also used it at one point. The only issues I had, as a 14 year old, was the leaking clutch master cylinder and the destroyed windshield wiper gear drive. Otherwise, this VERY abused British car would've been restoreable. I sold it for $250 a couple years later, figuring I learned a bunch. . which I did.

Don't let these guys terrify you with the Lucas Electrics are evil. If the car has survived this long and still works, the electrics are probably as good as any others.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Feb 9 2024, 12:12 PM) *

Positive ground isn't a big deal-American cars also used it at one point.

agree.gif

Until someone hooks up as negative ground out of ignorance or muscle memory when not thinking. blowup.gif
r_towle
Anytime you can buy, build and restore a car with a child is a great time to learn from each other.
I did a few cars with my kids...its something we won't ever forget.
Still have two of them...and one was wrecked...the other sold off to my nephew.

Enjoy the experience.
BTW, 6'2" bought, fixed and sold a spitfire because I had fun building it.
It was a convertible...so yes I could get in.
No I could not really drive it with long legs.

Had fun, made a few bucks.

I think the Tr6 has a bit more room if you have size issues.
for me, it was the legs, and foot area...

Rich
emerygt350
"Still have two of them...and one was wrecked...the other sold off to my nephew". I assume your are referring to the cars and not the children? wink.gif
fixer34
Remember, the reason the British drink warm beer is they have Lucas refridgerators...
windforfun
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Feb 9 2024, 04:42 PM) *

Remember, the reason the British drink warm beer is they have Lucas refridgerators...

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif

The only good tech to come out of the UK are Tannoy loudspeakers & Marconi radio equipment. Even the Titanic wasn't designed right.
worn

The major problem is reliability. Yes?

blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
[/quote]

I don’t think so. With SU carbs and the cast iron engine and ready access to the engine, they ought to be very reliable. I have driven across country many times in the 914, but always thought I would have less trouble with the TR6. As for wiring, the car has 4 fuses total. My biggest problem is that the car is geared for short trips on county roads. The revs would drive me crazy when the speed limit switches to 85. And I installed overdrive.
emerygt350
Okay, I am never going to complain about getting into my 914 again.

I am definitely a little too tall and broad shouldered to comfortably drive a gt6.  If the windows open and I can hang my arm out it was almost tolerable and that nice little pocket down below on the left helped with my left leg but my head was really close to the ceiling (so no helmet) and my right arm is basically in the passenger seat.  Oh well.The car was pretty solid though.  The frame (which looked a little sketchy in the photos) was actually good and looked good throughout.  The engine and hood are all nice, he has the chrome bit for the driver side over the seam.  Rotoflex in the rear, doors fit nicely but they are obviously from a spitfire or something.  Floor is rotten but he has a new pan for both sides sitting in the shop.  I detected a little bondo low on the rear quarter where they rust but nothing in the rockers which looked pretty good.   The paint is terrible but functional, apparently it was red from the factory.  Wood replaced on the dash (not the wood I would have chosen).  Apparently the lights and such all work.  Ed, the guy selling it, was very nice.  Something of a hobbiest rebuilder.  Said he mostly did MGAs and Bs.  

Anyway, if you know somebody looking, I think it may be worth a visit if somebody is looking to do some floor repair and painting. The sills on the roof and trunk looked good too. Searched the car with my magnet and the only bondo was the 'coverup' of the lic. plate light and that spot on the lower front of the rear quarter.

Click to view attachment
https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/754302760071552/

no relationship with the seller yadda yadda.
emerygt350
front sill
Click to view attachment
technicalninja
My wife drove a Fiat X-19 (before children) and the car always was a tiny bit tight to me.

It was fine to drive just tight.

Right up till I had to drive it, from Denver to Ft. Worth, in December with a non-functioning heater...

Found out how important heated socks and underwear really are!

Couldn't walk for a day due to the fact I need 1.5 inches more leg room than it could provide...

If it felt tight just sitting in it, I'd pass too.
Tdskip
I’ve had more Triumphs, and I would care to publicly admit to.

In general, you buy these and body condition, rather than mechanical because it mechanical stuff is all easy to sort out and well supplied and it expensive.

Once a body is in good shape, you then look at mechanical condition with interior being the last consideration, because here again, all that is readily available and inexpensive.

I have found my British cars to be quite reliable, once sorted out, if you follow the wiring diagrams and connect everything as it came from the factory, he won’t have issues with the electrical system. Make sure the grounds are good, consider upgrading to a higher output, alternator and electronic ignition in the car will be reliable enough to be a daily driver.

These can get warm in the summer.

mrholland2
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Feb 10 2024, 11:12 AM) *

Okay, I am never going to complain about getting into my 914 again.
  Rotoflex in the rear, doors fit nicely but they are obviously from a spitfire or something. 

Click to view attachment
https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/754302760071552/

no relationship with the seller yadda yadda.

There are likely a bunch of parts that fit the GT6 and the Spitfire as they have a lot of the same parts. LOL
live free & drive
Maybe this could scratch the itch:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/4..._type=top_picks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.