Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opening a locked trunk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Arkady
I've been lurking on this sight for months without anything of any real value to contribute except maybe a few comments. Today, I think I may have something of worth to post...

I was given a 914 over a year ago and have been looking it over in my spare time to see if it is salvageable. A problem arose with the trunk. I had no idea how to open it. In the place of the standard lockable push button release was a reflector that spanned the distance between the tail lights.

I was given a few suggestions by some local folks that involved busting out a tail light or cutting a hole in various locations. None of these solutions appealed to me as I'm on a chump change budget and don't want to replace parts unnecessarily.

While reading posts here, I learned that a dealer option often was installed on these cars and an electric solenoid operated the trunk release by a dash mounted momentary toggle switch.

My first attempt was to put jumper cables on the battery and try the switch. Nothing happened.

Next, I put some weight on the trunk just above the latch to reduce any friction at the latch/catch interface. Again, nothing.

Then, I pulled the toggle switch and tried to power it separately. The wire I imagined went to the solenoid got warm, but still, nothing.

Then, I thought I'd try something mechanical and looked to disconnect the trunk hinges. Any fasteners securing the hinges looked inaccessible. And after looking at the torsion mechanism that assisted raising the trunk lid, I imagined that the amount of stored energy in them may be dangerous if they got away from me. I've gotten used to having teeth and have grown quite fond of them...

After looking at a gazillion photos of member's trunk interiors, I thought maybe the two pieces just behind the shock towers might be removable and provide a better entryway. They were plastic and looked to be removed by pulling them into the engine compartment.

On a relatively warm day a month or so ago, I pulled them out without any damage. Things were looking up...

Spoiler alert! I did get it open and I'll post photos and a explanation of how I did it...

If this helps just one member here...

Click to view attachment
partwerks
I think I used about a 5/16" rod, and come in from the PS back corner, and jabbed it open.

After that, I drilled a small hole from underneath, and used a fishing line leader to go up to the latch, in case the solenoid ever takes a dive.
Arkady
My next step was to look into the trunk through the holes left by removing the plastic plugs. First problem was that I couldn't find a way to get my head into position to where I could effectively see in. I remembered that something called bore scopes existed in the 80's and were used to look into areas not readily viewable by normal means. These were for inspection of welds in things where it was critical among other things. As I recall, they were enormously expensive. But time marches on and they are known as endoscopes these days. I found ones that pair with smart phones for 20 bucks on Amazon.com, so I ordered one. (I see these as useful for inspecting furnace combustion chambers & heat exchangers.)

While trying to insert this camera on a bendable stock into the trunk, I saw that it was full of old clothes. This presented a problem as the stock wasn't stiff enough to push past or through the clothes that were in the way. I tried hugging the underside of the trunk lid but that wasn't workable as even if I pushed the camera to the back of the trunk, I was unable to move it side to side to get a view of the trunk release. I walked away to hope for a revelation. Grrrr...

The next day, I thought about using a length of PEX tubing to make a formed and flexible guide to provide a path for the endoscope camera. I chose ½" PEX as it was large enough to allow easy passage of the camera, small enough to be easily formed and stiff enough to push past the pile of clothes. Since I do some plumbing work, I had some lying around...

This photo is of the latching mechanism as seen through the endoscope and at my smart phone.

So Far, So Good!

Click to view attachment
Arkady
The next step was to assemble a number of socket extensions that would reach through the firewall hole and to the trunk release latch. I put some duct tape around the extensions where they connected to each other to keep them from accidentally coming apart. Because the firewall holes were in an outboard location, the 10 millimeter socket would need to be mounted on something to provide for this angular misalignment. First, I tried a 'wobbly' extension, but this didn't allow enough of an angle to properly engage the bolt head. Next, I tried a universal joint, but this didn't work either as it was too easily displaced to the side and not able to readily correct itself.

Another issue was the view on my phone was backwards and upside down. Down was up and right was left at the socket end. This motion was difficult to master (Luck beats talent, seven days a week). Add to that, the lack of depth perception on the phone's screen and the only way I could judge the socket's position was by gently touching the bolt head. The only motion that was as it looked was the 'In and Out'. I was lying on the trunk lid with my head & hands in the engine compartment working the extensions, and with my feet hanging off of the back end and my phone in the battery tray while hoping for a miracle...

Years ago, someone much wiser than myself told me that universal joints can be made more self-centering and a bit stiffer by wrapping a rubber band a number of times around its pivoting section. This definitely made an improvement and I was able to wiggle the socket over one of the bolt heads. I turned the ratchet and felt the bolt break loose! I backed it out probably many times more than necessary to get it out because I didn't want to have to try to get the socket back on the bolt head.

I was able to remove one bolt, so I was confident I could get the other one out as well. The second one wasn't any easier but it too came out!

This photo shows the socket on the second bolt head.

Click to view attachment
Arkady
There were many false starts and dead ends in this process.

I first routed the endoscope camera through the same firewall hole as the extensions. This didn't work as any extension movement that jostled the endoscope camera often knocked it out of position.

The driver side firewall hole didn't work for the extensions because of less room there to operate.

I found that ½ inch PEX was definitely the way to go with stably positioning the endoscope camera. I allowed the camera to just protrude out of the PEX by about a couple of inches or so. This allows enough light to show what you want to see.

I'll say again, I found it counter-intuitive operating the extension movement, but with a bit of patience, it's doable...

And, I didn't have to break anything!!!

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Arkady
QUOTE(partwerks @ Feb 9 2024, 11:12 PM) *

I think I used about a 5/16" rod, and come in from the PS back corner, and jabbed it open.

After that, I drilled a small hole from underneath, and used a fishing line leader to go up to the latch, in case the solenoid ever takes a dive.

Thank you for this thought. I hadn't considered a back-up method to use in case a future solenoid fails.

This site is full of people that have been there & done that and are willing to share their hard-earned knowledge. Probably a lesson here for society in general...
Superhawk996
Glad you got it open and didn’t find a dead body in there laugh.gif
StarBear
Impressive!! Very tenacious effort. Glad it worked. Any vintage clothing? Might be worth something. biggrin.gif
rgalla9146
It's got GT flares and a period paint scheme !
Excellent effort.
Do I see a Molson beer towel too ?
windforfun
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 10 2024, 07:23 AM) *

It's got GT flares and a period paint scheme !
Excellent effort.
Do I see a Molson beer towel too ?

Rolling Rock. They were 25 cents a bottle when I was in college.

beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
Spoke
Nice job. You obviously put a lot of thought into the project and it worked out well.

I had a 914 with the solenoid opener. There was a steel wire connected to the latch pin that went through a hole in the trunk floor with a washer attached to provide a mechanical pull.
Arkady
Thanks for the comments! I'm glad to finally contribute something to this forum. By reading the many postings here, I've learned so much about these cars. I never would've been able to pull this off without the information contained here. You all really provide an education.

About the stuff in the trunk:

I found three dead bodies, (two snake skeletons and one that I believe was a field mouse).

There was a Rolling Rock T-shirt, size XL. (It looks like it was exposed to battery acid at some time on it's left shoulder.)
A Peace Sign T-shirt in a stars & stripes motif, size M.
A Pittsburgh Skydivers T-shirt, size XL
Lots of sweat socks.
Lots of towels, (bath,hand,tea sizes).
Some underwear (men's & women's).
One pair of women's leather gloves.

I washed this stuff and it's hanging to dry. I'll return this to the car's previous owner. The contents were dry and odorless.

Underneath all of this was the trunk carpet (pretty good shape). And what looks to be a closed cell pad that was formed to fit the trunk floor. There was some deterioration on this piece as can be seen as crumbled residue on the second photo. They look to be standard equipment but one never knows...

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
@Arkady xlnt use of the endoscope camera ! I don't know how many 914 friends I've made over the decades just opening their Mitcom' brand rear reflector & Stuck solenoid assist; 5 minute job 3/32" drill bit & 3/32" drift punch into the middle of the letter "S"
marty914.jpg
rhodyguy
With the black band running around the reflector, and looking consistent, what are the odds it’s a one FOR a 914 and not a 911 one cut down? Piano wire, a SS washer and a small drilled hole for a safety release.
Arkady
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 10 2024, 07:28 PM) *

With the black band running around the reflector, and looking consistent, what are the odds it’s a one FOR a 914 and not a 911 one cut down? Piano wire, a SS washer and a small drilled hole for a safety release.

If I learned anything from this exercise, it's always have a back-up!
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Arkady @ Feb 10 2024, 04:10 PM) *

There was a Rolling Rock T-shirt, size XL. (It looks like it was exposed to battery acid at some time on it's left shoulder.)
A Peace Sign T-shirt in a stars & stripes motif, size M.
A Pittsburgh Skydivers T-shirt, size XL
Lots of sweat socks.
Lots of towels, (bath,hand,tea sizes).
Some underwear (men's & women's).
One pair of women's leather gloves.

It’s been a long time since I partied like that huh.gif

Maybe used to belong to Hunter Thompson?
bkrantz
The molded foam pad is stock.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.