Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replace CVs/Axles with the stubs still mounted ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
I have a set of trailing arms pulled for clean up & refresh (for a future build) that has decent feeling bearings and bushings - basically I saw no reason to rebuild them. So I left the bearings, hubs and stub axles in place, taped off everything, scuffed and painted them. Good to go now... except that I'll need to install the CV/axles (and had planned to do that BEFORE installing these arms as complete units onto the car).

I probably should have just pulled the stub axles and made CV/Axle rebuild/replace simpler but didn't. I still could remove them obviously but since the trailing arms are loose units it makes loosening the axle nuts more difficult. Then it's to tap the stub out (I worry about damaging a good bearing) and retorque them down afterwards, etc. Basically I'd rather not remove the stubs if not necessary.

I think I remember doing a CV joint replacement on my first 914 without removing the stub axle, I kind of remember thinking I should have (de ja Vu dry.gif ). The only problem I can see is setting the paper gaskets... but I could have the units on a vertical plane so the may help there. How doable is, or isn't it ?

914e
You don't need to pull the stubs. I didn't pull the stubs when my daughter rebuilt the CV joints. The roll pins keep the gaskets in place.
Literati914
@914e , thanks for the confirmation on that beerchug.gif

brant
I never pull the studs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.