Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Many 914s Were Made?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
windforfun
Just curious. I would like to know this before I sell mine. How many do you suggest are still on the road?

shades.gif shades.gif shades.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(windforfun @ Feb 10 2024, 06:56 PM) *

Just curious. I would like to know this before I sell mine. How many do you suggest are still on the road?

http://www.914world.com/specs/productionnumbers.php
popcorn[1].gif
fixer34
Not that I'm questioning this, but I swear I've seen numerous articles that said there were over 300,000 made in total??

As for how many are still on the road (not on permanent jackstands..), I'm thinking 10% would be generous.
Van B
You should consider sources...

But, your other question is one I've thought about too.
mb911
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Feb 11 2024, 06:48 AM) *

Not that I'm questioning this, but I swear I've seen numerous articles that said there were over 300,000 made in total??

As for how many are still on the road (not on permanent jackstands..), I'm thinking 10% would be generous.

300,000 914-6s umm no
brant
I’ve only seen the slightly over 100k number
But consistently I’ve seen this number since the 1980s
mepstein
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Feb 11 2024, 09:48 AM) *

I’ve only ever seen ~ 120k made.
sixaddict
3300 sixes number goes something like 2700 1970/ majority of remainder 71 and a few. 72
Forget exact but will look up and correct
Here it is
2668/443/240 (3351) per The Porsche Book Lothar Boschen/Juergen Barth
sixaddict
Standard 4 115,597
Six 3318
Special factory 12
According to Brian Long book
As you see numbers vary
Superhawk996
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Feb 11 2024, 10:48 AM) *

Porsche likes to claim a very high percentage (like 70%) of cars still on the road. I think they exaggerate but I’m sure they count cars registered, in storage, etc. I’m sure this is also an average that is highly skewed by the large number of 924, 944, 911, 928, Boxters, etc.

Click to view attachment

I do think the number is higher than 10% though. I base that off the number of registered users here on World (yeah not all are still alive) and the activity in Faceplant, Bird Forum, other Porsche sites and the random sampling I see on the road.

A 914 /4 certainly isn’t rare to the extent they would be if only 10,000 (the 10% number) or so were still on the road world wide.
fixer34
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 11 2024, 09:33 AM) *

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Feb 11 2024, 09:48 AM) *

I’ve only ever seen ~ 120k made.

Ok, the brain cell retrieval isn't what it used to be...
Being that I have a factory -6, I did remember that number was in the 3330 to 3350 range.

How many are drivable/registered/on the road could be up for discussion.

Answering the OP's comment about selling, "condition, condition, condition"
bkrantz
My guess is that 10% (for cars still on the road) is too low, but 70% is too high--unless "on the road" means anything with at least 3 wheels and not crushed.
wonkipop
far as i am concerned they never made enough.

------------

i think there would not be 70% of 914s existing. let alone on road.
i seriously doubt that claim for the other models as well.
porsche just say it.
proper academics would cite the sources.
ie current international road registration figures.

verdict a wild claim i think.

i reckon be lucky if 25% of 914s survive in anything remotely resembling driveable condition.

i do remember i saw them nearly every second/third day in chicago in 88-91.
bet its not like that now.

you never see them in australia of course. never.
not unless i get mine out on sunday mornings.
mb911
Well I think as I have personally parted at least 10 myself and owned 3 I would guess 30% are still road worthy
flipb
I'm a believer in "chainsaw math"

There are 14,861 cars in the 914World VIN registry. 1,034 of them are notated as dead/crushed/parted. That gets you to 13,827 remaining.

I'm going to assume at least 10% (my gut would be more like 20%) of those are either parted out since their VIN listing, or will otherwise never see daylight again. Based on that, we're at around 12,400.

I'd generously venture that at least half the surviving 914s are in the registry here. So that would suggest around 25,000 still existing. That would be a bit over 20% of the original production. That feels like a reasonable ballpark to me.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
thanks to the current popularity of the 914 the percentage is gaining. I know that around 50 percent remain just looking at our current 914 customer files
windforfun
60K customers? Wow.

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
gereed75
Interesting thoughts in this thread and I am sure that George’s numbers have some validity. It would take a more in-depth look at that data though to say that AA’s 60,000 name customer base represents 50% of the VINs produced. I would venture a guess that a few of those customers worked on more than one car and also that in many cases any one car had more than one customer work on it.

I have never really thought of the number of 914’s total, but I have given some thought on the number of sixes that might be left. Here is a thread that has some numbers in it based on some limited research for sixes.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...300107&st=0

I think estimates in that thread have some basis and might be pretty close.
windforfun
agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

Intelligent people here. Thank you.
davehg
All I know is that I rarely see 914s where I live in the PNW. Most younger folks have little idea what it is. Seems like Gex X and older know them. At Porsche event you see maybe 2-3 for every 25 911s
infraredcalvin
I keep asking myself what am i seeing wrong here, I’m tired, if I’m stupid, so be it, but wtf:

Click to view attachment

Ok so 13,311 numerical 1.7s for 1970, right???

Click to view attachment

So how do you get 20,241 1.7 in 1970??? WTF.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Feb 13 2024, 01:08 AM) *

I keep asking myself what am i seeing wrong here, I’m tired, if I’m stupid, so be it, but wtf:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

calendar year v model year.

you guys invented the concept of model year. get your head around it, not hard.
model year = financial year for instance in australia.
july of one year to june of next year.
but you guys do a tax year jan to dec. right?

the different numbers you have come across are down to this simple measurement.
thats all.
no big mystery. beerchug.gif biggrin.gif beer.gif
mepstein
Personally, I’d be very surprised if there are 10,000 still on the road.
StarBear
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 13 2024, 06:20 AM) *

Personally, I’d be very surprised if there are 10,000 still on the road.

agree.gif
Superhawk996
You wouldn’t have the aftermarket parts support that we do for 10,000 units.
gereed75
Wonder what Pete at Resto Design would say. They have made a pretty big commitment to the 914 market. He must have pretty good insight as to market size.
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Feb 12 2024, 11:46 PM) *

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Feb 13 2024, 01:08 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

calendar year v model year.

you guys invented the concept of model year. get your head around it, not hard.
model year = financial year for instance in australia.
july of one year to june of next year.
but you guys do a tax year jan to dec. right?

the different numbers you have come across are down to this simple measurement.
thats all.
no big mystery. beerchug.gif biggrin.gif beer.gif

Ok makes sense, but one would have to assume they would have skipped large numbers between consecutive build numbers. For example;

Calling the VIN ranges for all -4s you get 139075 total unit numbers, production numbers total 115646, leaving 23429 unit numbers skipped.

Similar to 6s but much less at 3368 total VIN range units at 3333 production units, leaving 35 extra slots….

Just wrapping my head around it… thanks!
mepstein
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 13 2024, 09:12 AM) *

You wouldn’t have the aftermarket parts support that we do for 10,000 units.

Well I would say the support is there because so many are off the road but I’m just spit balling here.
I would be interested to hear from Pete at RD.
930cabman
What percentage of their business is 914? they also make a complete Speedster as well as many 356 items, 911 items.

+1 to RD, they are a great supplier and are making a great go of it. The American dream lives
gereed75
QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 13 2024, 02:46 PM) *

What percentage of their business is 914? they also make a complete Speedster as well as many 356 items, 911 items.

+1 to RD, they are a great supplier and are making a great go of it. The American dream lives

Yea but I would think he had some idea of what the potential 914 market was before he committed to tooling for parts. 914 Rubber Mikey may also have done some homework
sixaddict
Has anyone actually read these numbers…….there are real although another reference says number of sixes was 3351.
quote name='sixaddict' date='Feb 11 2024, 10:01 AM' post='3128257']
Standard -4 115,597 units
Six 3318
Special factory 12
According to Brian Long book
As you see numbers vary
Be curious as to a way to calculate how many are left…….
wonkipop
i can tell you absolutely which production 914 was the rarest and its not a six.
its the 75 euro spec 1.8

precisely 100 of them.
you can work it out off the engine numbers.
the 75 AN twin carb 1.8 went in no other car in 75 other than a 914 ROW.
and the engine numbers run as follows.
starts after 008 798 and ends at 008 899.

and........i don't think too many would be left lurking around in europe.
though one was for sale in belgium a couple of years ago.
what maybe 25-50 at most? biggrin.gif

although........there is that one (1) aberrant 1976 or 75 whichever 914/6 the factory did officially make to a special customer order a few years after it was all over.
rjames
QUOTE(davehg @ Feb 12 2024, 10:47 PM) *

All I know is that I rarely see 914s where I live in the PNW. Most younger folks have little idea what it is. Seems like Gex X and older know them. At Porsche event you see maybe 2-3 for every 25 911s

There’s quite a few in the area. Most of them probably don’t get out too much though given the abundance of crappy weather.
mepstein
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Feb 13 2024, 08:19 PM) *

i can tell you absolutely which production 914 was the rarest and its not a six.
its the 75 euro spec 1.8

precisely 100 of them.

although........there is that one (1) aberrant 1976 or 75 whichever 914/6 the factory did officially make to a special customer order a few years after it was all over.

Green right? Late bumpers.
wonkipop
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 13 2024, 09:50 PM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Feb 13 2024, 08:19 PM) *

its the 75 euro spec 1.8

precisely 100 of them.

Green right? Late bumpers.

dunno what color it was.
but had late bumpers.
just seen one black and white photo of it parked in the internal courtyard of porsche factory/studio. someone who had a bit of pull with the factory managed to get it made somehow? probably someone here knows the story. i forget where i read about it or where i saw the photo published. a few years back in time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.