Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trying to Drop Motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
I am attempting to drop the engine and when I tried removing one of the bolts on the engine mount bar it broke. The bolt broke approximately 1-2 cm just inside the bar and the engine will not drop? Could the bolt be seized inside the bar and preventing the engine from dropping? ANy ideas on how I can free up the bar? I tried beating on it with a sledge and no luck? How about heat? HELP
bd1308
hit it with tons of heat....

i used MAPP torch....propane just doesnt work.

use some BP blaster too....i love that stuff.

i had both next to me when i dropped my engine...didn't end up needing it though.
URY914
Are you talking about the bolts at the end of the mounting bar? or at the engine?
ChrisFoley
If the bolt is stuck in the bar you should still be able to remove the nut from above. If the nut was on the bottom you're gonna have a hell of a time. Heat might do it. Worst case, cut off the end of the bar and replace it. You might be able to cut up the bracket that the bar bolts to instead and then remove the broken bolt once you have it off the engine.
Joe Bob
A sawzall can be your friend here....engine bars and bolts can be replaced.
vesnyder
I am referring to the bolts at the end of the mounting bar that bolt up into the frame. I cannot believe the bolt welded itself to the bar enough to support the weight of the engine but I have no other explanation?
machina
Mine were frozen too, sheared the bolt heads off and she still wouldn't budge.

Ended up banging it loose with a sledge hammer from above. Just use a 2x4 to line up the shots to the crossbar. And if its not your "parts car" be careful:)
tdgray
Same thing happened to me.

Cut the freakin bar... I already bought another one. You want to change the motor mounts anyway biggrin.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (vesnyder @ Aug 21 2005, 01:03 PM)
I cannot believe the bolt welded itself to the bar enough to support the weight of the engine but I have no other explanation?

It's not that unusual if the bar has been in place for many years. The tolaerance between the bolt and hole isn't that big and rust builds up between them.
The head of the bolt really should be on the bottom. That way you can unscrew the nut and even if the bolt is stuck the bar will drop.
Use a sawzall on the bracket in front of and behind the bar, or on the bar itself, as suggested above.
mack914
Also happened to me, just cut into the shaft of the mounting bar and the engine drop. I wasn't going to resue the engine support bar. sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
Joe Ricard
So we are waiting to hear what came of the bolt.
I back up what everybody else said.
bolt head on top: Beat the SOB up till you get enough room for sazall blade cut bolt.
Bolt head on bottom just get better leverage on nut at the top it will break you you put enough ass behind it.

Always grease your bolt before use.
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Aug 21 2005, 06:04 PM)

Always grease your bolt before use.

agree.gif

My bolts gunna' get greased tonight. wink.gif laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.