Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wtb: aluminum 911 case
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
BillJ
Hey everyone. Looking for a nice clean aluminum 911 case to build a hot engine. Targeting a 2.5 engine so 3.0 or under case. No junk and will go to Ollies for preparation so can need some reconditioning within reason.
burton73
QUOTE(BillJ @ Feb 12 2024, 11:11 AM) *

Hey everyone. Looking for a nice clean aluminum 911 case to build a hot engine. Targeting a 2.5 engine so 3.0 or under case. No junk and will go to Ollies

I have chain cases only from the 69s eng that was in by 6 when I bought it. It was an aluminum case that I did a part trade with on my 3.0 . They do not fit my factory 6 case 1969

Note the picture where the chain was scraping at one point. They have early casting numbers like 65 and 66 and are not sure what they where in. That eng that came in my 6 when I got it was set up to 2.5 SS

Bob B

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
BillJ
So these would fit only which case?
brant
Can you use a 3.0 aluminum case?

I have a 66 complete motor with aluminum case. 67s heads, cams , etc
It has the original small spigots so not drilled out yet
But way way way cheaper to find a common sc case if that works for your needs

The early (65- 67) cases are worth a fortune
mepstein
QUOTE(brant @ Feb 12 2024, 06:05 PM) *

I have a 66 complete motor with aluminum case. 67s heads, cams , etc
It has the original small spigots so not drilled out yet
But way way way cheaper to find a common sc case if that works for your needs

The early (65- 67) cases are worth a fortune

I bought three of them (early alum cases) last year for ~ $4500-6000. The one for $6k was a short block. They were all for customers but they weren’t that hard to find. Pelican, early911sreg, eBay, asking around, etc.
bahnzai
Hello Bill,
I sent you a PM. I have a 67 aluminum case long block if you are interested.
Thanks,
Danny
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(brant @ Feb 12 2024, 05:05 PM) *

Only if you want a 3.0. The crank journals are bigger on a 3.0L case and won't take a 65mm stroke crank.

The only exception is the 76 930 case. It is an aluminum 3.0L case with the small journals. With it you can build a 2.5 short stroke motor using 904 cams that is good to 10 grand. But at low RPMs, it won't pull a sick whore off a piss pot. It has nothing below 3 grand, so it is really only suitable for a race motor.

I used to have a 76 930 engine. I did all the research on it. Then I found someone that wanted a high revving motor for a race engine and traded them for a 73 911S engine.

mepstein
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 13 2024, 09:16 AM) *

Only if you want a 3.0. The crank journals are bigger on a 3.0L case and won't take a 65mm stroke crank.

The only exception is the 76 930 case. It is an aluminum 3.0L case with the small journals. With it you can build a 2.5 short stroke motor using 904 cams that is good to 10 grand. But at low RPMs, it won't pull a sick whore off a piss pot. It has nothing below 3 grand, so it is really only suitable for a race motor.

I used to have a 76 930 engine. I did all the research on it. Then I found someone that wanted a high revving motor for a race engine and traded them for a 73 911S engine.

Or the 76 euro Carrera engine ( 3.0 turbo without the turbo). I have sold a couple of them and have one in peices, waiting on a rebuild. Henry Schmidt has a case for sale on pelican.
BillJ
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 13 2024, 09:41 AM) *

Or the 76 euro Carrera engine ( 3.0 turbo without the turbo). I have sold a couple of them and have one in peices, waiting on a rebuild. Henry Schmidt has a case for sale on pelican.

Well this would be a race application so that may work. I have a 66mm crank ready to go.
dug
The 65-67 sand cast aluminum cases have a different chain box bolt pattern. Those chain boxes would be necessary or you'll have to pay a little more at Ollie's to convert to late style chain box.
They also use a different intermediate shaft and cover. Ollies can convert this too.
Lots of little adders, but they look so cool with the cast fins on the bottom of the case:)
Cheers,
Dug
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(BillJ @ Feb 13 2024, 08:46 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 13 2024, 09:41 AM) *

Well this would be a race application so that may work. I have a 66mm crank ready to go.

Make sure it is a counterweighted crank. The 911T used a 66mm crank without counterweights, and that limits the RPM range.

BillJ
Mark - thanks for pointing me to that case. It sure is purdy

Dug - yes for sure Ollies has so many ways to add on. To fully race prep a case for a case that needs a line bore it is running right around $4800 these days. Fun fun!

Clay - definitely important that counterweighted is part of the mix
brant
Bill

Ask your engine builder about the cw crank

Race engines are often built on non counter weighted cranks to rev faster

My builder tried hard to talk me out of a cw crank for that reason
I went with a 4 lb flywheel and 5.5 inch multi disc clutch to make up for the heavier crank

The dual valve springs can be made to rev to 10k either way
Non weighted cranks are probably more common in race motors than not
But decide with your builder
BillJ
Thanks Brant! I did not know that and will definitely ask.
sixnotfour
Early 1968 cases are Aluminum, and use late chain housings...

My Bonus find from a 914-6 I bought.. 2.7, twin plug,,66 Alum.case,,Had 4 broken rings and a Very loose flywheel...
brant
Spigots bored already
Good
burton73
Hi @Brant

If you noted my pictures of my extra chain cases, one has a 65 on it and the second side has a 66 on it. Trying to figure what to do with these boys as I will never have a use for them. The picture of the Engen case that Scott Kinder took in part trade for the 3.0 Engen with 3.2 heads he built for me that is in my car now.

This was part of the info on the Ebay ad in 2006 on my 6 Picture of the eng as it came to me

Engine 2.5 L 20k Miles Aluminum case 2.2. Rods EMPI, 88 mm pistons and cylinders, Ported heads and manifolds 40 IDS Weber Carbs, CD ignition, 911S Distributor 67 911S Cams Front 914/6-GT oil cooler with GT ducting,

Best Bob B
Click to view attachment
BillJ
Interesting that you note the 88mm cylinders. I have a set of those as well with the machinist. Are you not using that engine?

@Brant you are just teasing me now....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.