Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
qa1142
I may just power wash this stuff, will anthing cut it?
spare time toys
lacker thinner and scotch brite pads. its how i cleaned mine.
MoveQik
I use denatured alcohol for a lot of my cleaning. It is inexpensive and easy to work with. It should cut through that no sweat.
Brando
"Carburetor Cleaner", in the large 5-gallon drums at Kragen for $60. Don't get any on you -- it's so strong it can rend the flesh from your bones.
joeav8tor
I used about 20 cans of brake cleaner....place a ton of newspaper underneath the heads or motor and tranny...the brake fluid eventually evaporates and then you can throw out the paper without making a mess of your garage floor....I bought it by the can because I did not realize that I was going to be going through so much...I would have bought it by the case if I had known...also use a small nylon brush for the stubborn areas.
now get working
Joe
macpro
I was thinking of Glass Bead Blasting mine. Any thoughts about that?
Greg Fox ar15.gif
qa1142
Local NAPA wants $130 for 5 Gal sad.gif
mihai914
It may be cheaper, less time consuming and cleaner just to have someone clean it for you in some sort of cleaning bath.

Look locally for engine or tranny rebuilders or heavy equipment stuff. Chrome places also have cleaning tanks as wheel refinishers.

Just a thought.

You can always use the dishwasher, I'm sure someone did it in the past biggrin.gif
TravisNeff
I used castrol super clean full strength and a brass bristled toothbrush. Lots of soaking, scrubbing, soaking, scrubbing. Bead blasting would be quick but what would that do to the valves and seats if you didn't dissamble first.
DNHunt
Buy stock in Berryman's then buy out the local FLAPS. Nothing made it easy but brake cleaner was best for me. I tried MEK, alcohol, and solvent. Incidentally, solvent is a very good penetrant through your skin so wear protection. Latex gloves will not work as some of the latex will be carried in with the solvent. Nasty!!

Use plenty of fresh air. It won't help the cleaning but it will save a few brain cell you can kill later with beer.gif .

Dave
qa1142
Dude

the 50+ Greatful Dead shows took care of the brain cells, biggrin.gif aktion035.gif mueba.gif barf.gif drunk.gif
Brett W
I use Purple cleaner to get rid of the grease and oil. Then come in with the bead blaster and knock all the carbon off the parts. This way you won't contaminate the media blaster.

I have also used gasoline to clean parts as well. I don't recommend it but it will do a great job.
SirAndy
QUOTE (joeav8tor @ Aug 21 2005, 10:07 AM)
brake cleaner ...

agree.gif
DNHunt
Man if you are down that many brain cells already you really have to take care of what's left.

Dave
sean_v8_914
Easy-Off oven cleaner melts it away in minutes. use gloves and DONT breath it
bd1308
I still like simple green......

i buy it by the gallon...
rhodyguy
if you can find a company that does engine building local to you, they may have one of those hot cleaning systems/machines that will remove the crap and leave it nice and clean. use caution when soaking aluminum in one of those carb cleaning solvents. call around. can after can of berryman's, the residual mess, and the stink and loss of brain cells, is pointless. sometimes it's more efficient to pay someone to perform a task.

tat2dphreak
B-12 Chemtool(best), or brake cleaner(cheaper)
qa1142
got things clean (er) huh.gif

#2 with some scuff
qa1142
#4 with scuff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.