Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front sway bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Front yard mechanic
I have two front sway bars getting ready for new bushings and preparing the parts to install on my 74 my question is which drop links are the right or wrong ones? I know I need to weld on the tabs for the a arms but why are there different lengths?Click to view attachment
bdstone914
@Front yard mechanic

The shorter one is 914. The other is 911.
You can shorten the longer one by cuting out a section and inserting an 8mm rod or piece of non threaded bolt and weld it together.
bkrantz
Or you could set your car up for oval racing! piratenanner.gif
Front yard mechanic
Thanks im great at going round and round just don’t tell me to pee in the corner
Chaznaster
Funny ... I have exactly the same "setup" confused24.gif

... and plan to cut and weld.
Chaznaster
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Feb 12 2024, 09:26 PM) *

@Front yard mechanic

The shorter one is 914. The other is 911.
You can shorten the longer one by cuting out a section and inserting an 8mm rod or piece of non threaded bolt and weld it together.

Hi @bdstone914 ,

You suggest cutting and inserting. Why not just cut out the extra length and weld back together?

Thanks.
Front yard mechanic
I thinking of these instead Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Feb 15 2024, 04:45 PM) *

Who sells those ?
Front yard mechanic
I stole the picture from pmb but I’m going to build my own from Smileys racing. They sell sprint car parts. I’ll post a picture when they get here
914_teener
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 15 2024, 05:44 PM) *

Who sells those ?

Tarret makes those Jim.

I'm sure Eric at PMB can get them or find a distributor.
bdstone914

@Front yard mechanic

Hi @bdstone914 ,

You suggest cutting and inserting. Why not just cut out the extra length and weld back together?

Thanks.
[/quote]

You can do that if you have V blocks to keep it aligned. The rod keeps it straight and easier to weld than tubing.
burton73
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 15 2024, 05:44 PM) *

Who sells those ?

Look here. Tarett Engineering

Click to view attachment

Best Bob B
Chaznaster
[quote name='bdstone914' date='Feb 15 2024, 11:50 PM' post='3128976']
@Front yard mechanic

Hi @bdstone914 ,

Thanks.
[/quote]

You can do that if you have V blocks to keep it aligned. The rod keeps it straight and easier to weld than tubing.
[/quote]

@bdstone, I had an epiphany just now and your suggestion makes complete sense. To answer my own (uninformed) earlier question ... the drop links are hollow. Ya learn something every day when you cut things apart ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.