Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint Overspray Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flyer86d
So I had the 914-6 tub repainted after 42 years of ownership and I am going thru the boxes of parts. As I look at a lot of the aluminum trim for the body, a lot of it has overspray from the first attempt of a repaint by one of the previous owners. Even the door sill plates have a yellow fog on them. What is the best way to remove the overspray without damaging the anodizing or scratching the surface? I’m sure someone has been down this road before.

Charlie
Superhawk996
Lacquer Thinner usually removes dried overspray. Wont work if overspray is urethane / epoxy

Should go without saying - don’t try to use on painted surfaces.
930cabman
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 15 2024, 11:02 AM) *

Lacquer Thinner usually removes dried overspray. Wont work if overspray is urethane / epoxy

Not sure with the Lacquer Thinner of today. I have used it since the early '70's for general cleaning but recently our EPA has lessened the impact it has. Probably a good thing for the planet, not so good for cutting.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 15 2024, 10:08 AM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 15 2024, 11:02 AM) *

Not sure with the Lacquer Thinner of today. I have used it since the early '70's for general cleaning but recently our EPA has lessened the impact it has. Probably a good thing for the planet, not so good for cutting.

Thinner only on aluminum trim not painted parts. Clay bar works very well on painted surfaces.
flyer86d
Thanks, I’ll try lacquer thinner and report back.

Charlie
Rufus
I had a Honda Prelude I purchased new in 1984. A couple years later it was heavily vandalized with rattle can spray paint, among other more serious things.

The body shop was able to restore the finish by just buffing carefully … the 1st time.

The second time it happened, the car required a repaint.

The rest of the story’s probably OT … biggrin.gif

I’ve also had good luck in similar situations with Meguire’s #7 and Simichrome polish.
nivekdodge
QUOTE(Rufus @ Feb 15 2024, 04:10 PM) *

I had a Honda Prelude I purchased new in 1984. A couple years later it was heavily vandalized with rattle can spray paint, among other more serious things.

The body shop was able to restore the finish by just buffing carefully … the 1st time.

The second time it happened, the car required a repaint.

The rest of the story’s probably OT … biggrin.gif

I’ve also had good luck in similar situations with Meguire’s #7 and Simichrome polish.

I hope you stayed away from her after the second time

Kevin
Rufus
“I hope you stayed away from her after the second time”

Kevin

ROFL!

Was strategically able to avoid any recurrence. Odd thing was that while she & I were both single, he was married confused24.gif
930cabman
QUOTE(Rufus @ Feb 15 2024, 09:03 PM) *

“I hope you stayed away from her after the second time”

Kevin

ROFL!

Was strategically able to avoid any recurrence. Odd thing was that while she & I were both single, he was married confused24.gif

+1, at least you lived through it. beer.gif
DennisV
QUOTE(flyer86d @ Feb 15 2024, 07:40 AM) *

So I had the 914-6 tub repainted after 42 years of ownership and I am going thru the boxes of parts. As I look at a lot of the aluminum trim for the body, a lot of it has overspray from the first attempt of a repaint by one of the previous owners. Even the door sill plates have a yellow fog on them. What is the best way to remove the overspray without damaging the anodizing or scratching the surface? I’m sure someone has been down this road before.

Charlie

We were able to remove years-old overspray from many elements of our car using acetone and a rag. These included non-painted plastics and metals.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.