Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To Rotisserie or Not
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bigdamdork
Ok, it's been a while and I wasn't sure if this was the best place or maybe the FB group. This feels a bit more appropriate so here goes. I have basically broken my '74 down to wiring, steering and suspension. Pretty much gutted everything else. When I originally asked my question back in July (project start) some of you directed to me to build a cart based on Jeff Hails build vs doing it on a Rotisserie. (see pic) I purchased and cut all the steel to build the cart but the more I researched the more I kept seeing restorations being done on a Rotisserie. I have all the materials to build either, I just don't know if that is the best way to go about this. A few things. 1) The measurements from front pillar to rear is good (25 1/8 52 5/8). So no sagging or twisting yet. 2) The pictures show the condition of the passenger Long, it's in pretty rough shape and assume I'll be replacing most of it. 3) The floor has some small holes so I figure I'll just replace the entire floor. 4) Obviously, the jack point is completely gone. 5) Inside the engine compartment isn't horrific, but isn't great. 6) Inner firewall where it meets the floor pan has some issues that I think I can patch versus replacing the entire inner firewall. 7) Trunk/Frunk will both be replaced. Out side of that the rest of the car is decently solid surprisingly. Including under the fender on the passenger side where the long extends up.

With all this said (and shown) what is the recommended approach? I just turned 55 (this week! Woo-hoo) so the idea of working on the long/floor on a Rotisserie is WAY more appealing that crawling my fat tired arse underneath and trying to weld up when it's on a cart.

With this said if anyone thinks trying to do these repairs on a rotisserie is going to likely cause sagging/twisting it's obviously a better choice. So before I start building either just wanted to get the group's expert opinions. Given no sag/twist has occured yet will the door braces be enough to keep everything in place if I go Rotisserie route? (I can always add more bracing for floors, etc.) Or is not worth taking the chance?

Appreciate any and all input. Thanks!! Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=902
189]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid
=902188]
mepstein
I would do the longs on a cart. Even if you leave out some hard to get to welds and then get them later on the rotisserie, I think you will be ahead, knowing you have a straight and true chassis.

What about bolting the chassis to the cart and then putting the cart and the chassis on a rotisserie. Keep the chassis true but have more maneuverability.
930cabman
popcorn[1].gif
Cairo94507
Happy Birthday birthday3.gif I like your approach. Personally, I think a rotisserie is the way to work on one of these given all the cutting and welding needed. So long as you have the chassis well braced so it does not sag and you remove/replace 1 panel/repair area at a time, for instance, do the passenger long and when that is done move on to the firewall, etc.

I guess ideally, if you had the cart and a rotisserie..... beerchug.gif
Dlee6205
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 15 2024, 03:08 PM) *

I would do the longs on a cart. Even if you leave out some hard to get to welds and then get them later on the rotisserie, I think you will be ahead, knowing you have a straight and true chassis.

agree.gif That's how I typically do it. I put the car on a "dolly" and get the car structurally sound in the longs, then put the car on the rotisserie for the floorpans. I refuse to do floorpans on the floor anymore. Not only the time it takes is drastically reduced, but the quality of work is improved as well.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Ishley
When I did my 72... I did the longs and firewall and hell hole repairs with the Tub on jack stands and leveling jacks (and backup supports in case it fell). A cart like you show would have worked too. Yes... at 65 years old I laid on the garage floor and did a lot of cutting, welding and grinding. I also added more cross braces (adjustable) and welded braces and welded braces across the longs to help tie it all together. Once I had that all handled... I stripped all the suspension components out and I built a tip over jig and did the floors, "gashole" repairs and everything else under the car. I measured a lot to keep things straight and took my time welding and cooling. With the floor out you can weld in support for the clutch tube, get all the shifter bushings in etc.

I know some use a rotisserie and do the longs... but I was worried about getting the car out of shape. The longs are the frame and it needs to be straight and solid before you start flipping the tub around... at least that was my theory. I'm sure others will have different opinions...but it worked for me.

With the car on its side... I welded in a new floor.... I cleaned up the bottom of the car and painted the bottom and laid down truck bed liner. I couldn't do the wheel wells completely and did most of that work with the car upright and me on my back. A rotisserie would have helped there. It was a lot of work....but the car is solid now and true.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&a...mp;opi=89978449

Alain V.
I built a cart, then added extensions onto the ends so I could mount all of it on a rotisserie. best of both worlds. I'm 56 and find that the rotisserie is worth every penny, in being able to work comfortably without having to lay on my back. Click to view attachment
808 WRX
My plan is to make a cart, then bolt on a couple of hoops with extra bracing (similar to the restoration design rotisserie hoops). drunk.gif
930cabman
QUOTE(Alain V. @ Feb 15 2024, 08:28 PM) *

I built a cart, then added extensions onto the ends so I could mount all of it on a rotisserie. best of both worlds. I'm 56 and find that the rotisserie is worth every penny, in being able to work comfortably without having to lay on my back. Click to view attachment

My vote goes to Mr Alain, looks like the best of both worlds

mlindner
I built a cart, can adjust and brake down when not in use.Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
majkos1
thank you Sir!

Your Cart is perfect.
simple,
Breaks down, Bonus!

with a rotisserie in future, great base. welder.gif
mlindner
I have all the dimensions if needed. With only a center beam, the longs are easily accessible . Mark
VaccaRabite
Stay to the plan.
Use the cart to get the car stable. Then when its sound move it to a rotisserie to do the floors, etc. Its SO MUCH EASIER to not have to to weld, scrape or paint the bottom of the car while laying on your back. But you cna't do major structural welding on a rot. without significant bracing to reinforce the longs.

Zach
friethmiller
agree.gif

I used wooden wheel cribs to raise my "braced car" high enough to get the passenger long, trunk, crossmember, and tunnel repaired (a cart would have been better). After I felt the car was strong enough, I then built and mounted it on a rotisserie. First order of business was finishing up on the bottom welds on the longitudinal. By the way, I just turned 55, as well. beerchug.gif
mlindner
Here are the dimensions. The front and rear are different. MarkClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=902
759]Click to view attachment
Bigdamdork
Thanks again for the great advice. I think I'm going to do the cart (pieces are already cut and measured) and do the longs. Then when done use the same streel to build a rudimentary rotisserie to do the floor pans. Great advice as usual, really appreciate it.
930cabman
QUOTE(Bigdamdork @ Feb 22 2024, 04:42 PM) *

Thanks again for the great advice. I think I'm going to do the cart (pieces are already cut and measured) and do the longs. Then when done use the same streel to build a rudimentary rotisserie to do the floor pans. Great advice as usual, really appreciate it.

Can you patch the floor from the top? or is it beyond repair
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Bigdamdork @ Feb 22 2024, 05:42 PM) *

agree.gif

You won’t regret using the cart given the level of work you need to do. Keep it straight before it goes on the rotisserie.
mate914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 22 2024, 06:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Bigdamdork @ Feb 22 2024, 05:42 PM) *

agree.gif

You won’t regret using the cart given the level of work you need to do. Keep it straight before it goes on the rotisserie.

Yes, always strengthen the cassis before you cook on the rotisserie.
Matt flag.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.