Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side Decals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mitox
I’m in the paint stage of my project, and my plans for having the side stripe painted on are crashing. I purchased the “Negative” decals from PMB and hoped to have a template made, but that didn’t turn out well.

Question, does anyone know where I can get a negative of the “Negative” stripes to use as a paint template?

Thanks for any help on this. The stripe below is the style I’m wanting.

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
I can’t imagine why anyone would want to paint these on. What wen wrong with the decals?
Mitox
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Feb 15 2024, 10:10 PM) *

I can’t imagine why anyone would want to paint these on. What wen wrong with the decals?

I’m wanting the stripes green, the same green used on the bumpers.
JeffBowlsby
Those can easily be made. Just find the right vinyl and ask one of the current side stripe suppliers to cut them for you.
Mitox
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Feb 15 2024, 10:42 PM) *

Those can easily be made. Just find the right vinyl and ask one of the current side stripe suppliers to cut them for you.

Agreed, and hoping to short cycle to search. I called PMB today, and plan to call 914Rubber in the morning
Mikey914
If you can specify the vinyl we can cut whatever you want.
Mark
Mitox
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 15 2024, 10:58 PM) *

Mark

Perfect! Thanks for your help - I’ll call in the morning
TonyA
Please post what you find out. I will be looking for some lime green stripes myself
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we have all of the neg stripe colors including green
Literati914
locust.gif grasshopper914.jpg aktion035.gif
BillJ
Nicely done, grasshopper.
Mitox
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 15 2024, 10:58 PM) *

Mark

OK, I called a few minute ago providing what I’m looking for. Hopefully it works out.

- looking for the reverse of the Negative side decal. This will be used as a template to paint the Negative graphic on the side. The material can be any color as it will be removed and thrown away after painting. I’m thinking the typical Negative can be cut, but the letters are kept and the rest is removed - or everything can remain and I’ll throw away what isn’t needed.
cgnj
@Mitox
See post 24 on @thomasotten paint thread
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...64795&st=20
Mitox
QUOTE(cgnj @ Feb 16 2024, 04:33 PM) *

This is perfect - I think. Many thanks, I give this to the painter.
Mitox
QUOTE(Mitox @ Feb 16 2024, 04:50 PM) *

QUOTE(cgnj @ Feb 16 2024, 04:33 PM) *

This is perfect - I think. Many thanks, I give this to the painter.

Greg wants to use a stencil if at all possible so that the paint step is minimized. Using the method in the referenced post, the green may take a few coats of white to cover it well leaving a larger paint step at the graphic edge. Still may need to use this method if a template can’t be sourced quickly.
mepstein
You can get the stencil made at a print shop. They can use a vinyl that is easier to remove than the standard vinyl.
Mitox
Well, two print shops further down the road. I didn’t think this would be a problem, but despite their claims, the font doesn’t match..

Still need to find someone that already makes the negative graphic to make one and not remove the typically unused portion.
PanelBilly
The font is called Porsche and anyone may access it
Mitox
Hmm - maybe the font has changed at some point?

I found the “Porsche” font online and it looks like the first pic below. The decal I purchased from 914Rubber looks like the second pic. Note that the second pic has more rounded P and R. Which is correct?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mitox
After a quick net search, yes, the font has changed. It looks like the more “blocky” font is the only one available online.
Mitox
I’m having significant difficulty conveying what I need to 914Rubber sales.

I’m sure I’m not describing it well, but is there a technical person there available to talk with?

infraredcalvin
you basically need this...

Click to view attachment
Mitox
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Feb 21 2024, 04:37 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Correct, they will need to cut a new set, and leave everything for me to remove later. For some reason they think I want scrap material. I’m trying to make contact again.
worn
QUOTE(Mitox @ Feb 21 2024, 11:56 AM) *

I’m having significant difficulty conveying what I need to 914Rubber sales.

I’m sure I’m not describing it well, but is there a technical person there available to talk with?

I seem to remember or fantasize that there were copyright complaints from Porsche about people using the font and or sharing it. Any one else remember that? Was about the time that Porsche made Pelican stop showing really useful information needed to purchase Porsche parts. They had to take down the interactive exploded diagram.
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(Mitox @ Feb 21 2024, 01:45 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Correct, they will need to cut a new set, and leave everything for me to remove later. For some reason they think I want scrap material. I’m trying to make contact again.

Ask them to cut it with an inch or two of excess vinyl on the top and bottom of each, then ask them NOT to weed it, just send as is off the cutter.
Mitox
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Feb 22 2024, 02:44 AM) *

QUOTE(Mitox @ Feb 21 2024, 01:45 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Ask them to cut it with an inch or two of excess vinyl on the top and bottom of each, then ask them NOT to weed it, just send as is off the cutter.

Agreed, thanks. - still trying to make contact again. Hopefully we get this taken care of today; my painter is needing it.

JeffBowlsby
The real font.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.