Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission leak Side Shifter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mihai914
Hi to all,

So I have this leak from the transmission right under the plastic cover.

I didn't remove the cover yet, but I'm sure it's full of gear oil. It doesn't seem to be coming from above the cover so I think it's the seal underneath the ball joint lever as shown in the picture.

Anybody went through this, was it a pain to change with the tranny in the car? I'm mostly concerned about the retaining pin, I never had luck with those when reinstalling and always screwed them up.

Any BTDT or pointers?

Thanks
Allan
I did it when I had the tranny out during the motor rebuild. IIRR, it's not that big of a deal to replace. Just gotta put the car in neutral and pull the assmbly out. I used a hammer and punch to get the pin out and a work bench vise to put it back in.
goose2
Yes, BTDT and it was a pain. Transmission was in the car but I had a lift. I had to cut the metal seal housing very carefully with a tiny cold chisel to get the seal to come out. My assortment of hooks, picks, and seal removal tools were little help until I cut through one edge of the seal with the chisel. You may be luckier than I was and just pluck it out with a hooked pick of some sort, but if you have to use more drastic methods, be careful you dont scratch the sealing surface on the shift rod or put a groove in the trans seal housing. Drain the oil first. Good luck!
Porsche Rescue
You need seal #8 and roll pin which holds 6 & 7 together. I also think there is an O ring which seals the shift console to the case.
I have done it twice, both times with tranny in car. A lift makes the job a lot easier. Put tranny in neutral and drain it. Remove the plastic cover, disconnect shift rod at firewall and remove. Remove the two 13mm nuts holding console to case and pull out shift assembley. I used a vise with a deep socket and bolt to press out the pin. Note orientation of 6 & 10 so you don't reassemble 180 degrees out and have to do it again. Remove shaft from console, then remove/replace seal. Put it all back together with new O ring and pin. I got the pieces from Porsche, about $17.
mihai914
I have on order the seal, o-ring and two pins just in case I screw one up like when I rebuilt the pedal assembly.

So once the 13mm nuts are removed the whole thing can be taken out? It would be simpler than I thought then.

Thanks to all who responded I hope everything will go well in my case, I've seen a friend fight with the imput shaft seal and it wasn't pretty.
Red-Beard
I reuse the roll pins all the time.

You need a vise.

Once you have the shift console out, clamp firmly, but not enough to distort the housing.

PRAY you have a plastic seal. They pop right out.

For the metal seals, I use a screwdrive and you have to sort of pound the screw driver under the lip into the side of the seal. The metal protects the sealing surface from this abuse. Pound, then attempt to pop, move 1/8 around the circle. Repeat until the seal pops out.

Installation is a breeze.

I woud also order plastic washers/bushings, as most are missing. It is not listed in the diagram, but they sit on the the shift lever shaft between the housing and the Ball Joint lever and the shift fingers. There is one at each end.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.