Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weber cleaning problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
red911
Hello fellow listers:

I am rebuilding a 1966 Porsche 911 coupe with two triple throat Weber carbs. These have been sitting around, gathering dust and worse yet internal dried (white dust and corrosion) gasoline debris for 26 years!

I used Eagle One Etching Mag Cleaner “for rough cast alloy wheels” to clean the internal passageways. They are now clean and will function well, but I am left with a greyer, dirty carb body that will not clean up well. What suggestions do you have to brighten up the carbs and bring them back to the original bright aluminum look?

The bottom carb top and the top carb body are the ones cleaned with Eagle One, the middle carb top is not touched by the Eagle One yet. How do I get the top and bottom to look like the middle??

Thanks in advance, Tom
Joe Bob
Before you go to all the clean up...how are the throttle bushings?
Joe Bob
Alcohol and scotch brite pads work.... wink.gif
J P Stein
The plating appears to be gone and you're left with pot metal.
The inside is the important part. Lots of carb cleaner & air for that....not enviro friendly (nasty, it fact), but it works. Like Mike said, scotch brite & elbow grease fot the white stuff.
Jeroen
been working on the same thing...
is it possible to glass-blast the housings?
I was thinking of blasting them (carefully) with all the hardware attached and capping off the top and bottom of the carbs, so no glass-beads could get into the pasages etc.

then I planned on replacing/replating all the bolt on stuff

good idea or totally screwy.gif
red911
Update, I placed the carb top and base into Napa's carb cleaner and low and behold, the shine came back!! It is just as shiney as the unetched carb, apparently, the very grey staining was removed by the carb cleaner, as I had a thin layer of not brake dust, but kinda the same thing as I could wipe my finger across the carb and it would be dark grey.

So my next question is, how do I make it brighter? I would like someone to recommend a wheel brightner that will peak the shine and a sealer that I can spray on that will keep the shine for a few months at a time.

Thanks, Tom
SirAndy
QUOTE (red911 @ Aug 21 2005, 02:01 PM)
So my next question is, how do I make it brighter?

have it blasted with something soft, like baking soda. then, put a acrylic clear coat on it to keep it shiny ...

smash.gif Andy
red911
Hi Andy, I have a "spot blaster" that I can fill with baking soda, but I don't know about acrylic clear. Can you direct me in the correct direction!!

Thanks, Tom
sixnotfour
I have wondered what this would look like confused24.gif
http://www.eastwood.com/shopping/product/d...temType=PRODUCT
SirAndy
acrylic clear paint can be found at your local FLAPS store ...

that stuff from eastwood looks like it would do the job as well ...
cool.gif Andy
red911
I have ordered the Eastwood product. I'll let you know what it looks like. Thanks, Tom
Gint
I vaguely remember seeing a similar Eastwood product in silver rather than a gold/cad color.

Found it.

Eastwood silver carb spray

I may try some soda blasting on a small spot on one of my carb bodies to see what it looks like. I think that may work. Especially if you don't get too carried away with the pressure.
sixnotfour
the Ialian made weber's had a bronze tint and the Spaiinsh ones are raw or silver color.
These carbs New.
red911
Hi Jeff,

Do both Webers say "Made in Italy"?

Mine were silver (as Weber manual says "Aluminum die cast"), and not bronze colored and say Made in Italy.

Thanks, Tom
sixnotfour
the silver weber's do not say made in spain it is blanked out ,tha itailian webers were finished nicer and have the bronze green corrosion preventitive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.