Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Old gas
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
willieg
I am just about finished doing a five lug conversion, with roll bar, with custom door handles, blah, blah blah. As a result, the car has been off the road for about a year. I drained the gas tank and have replaced with fresh gas. But I was wondering how long some of you have left gas in the tank of a fuel injected car and not had any problems when you restarted the car. Just wondering if I was too hasty.
Joe Bob
I wouldn't worry but you can dump a cab of Stabil if you feel like it.....
peteinjp
I’ve had gas in my a fuel injected car on stands for years and it starts and runs great. Carbs are another story as gas in the jets can dry and clog. Stabil etc. help with that.
StarBear
For me, the issue was water condensation in the tank. Keep the tank full and add Stabil. Simple. Cheap. No problems. biggrin.gif
jhynesrockmtn
with ethanol, about a week
brant
I agree
Pump gas does not last long
Measured in weeks if it didn’t have stabil since initially parked
It could run still
Lots of water
More likely to vapor lock

dr914@autoatlanta.com
if it smells like shellac it is bad, if hi test with gas stabilizer and a dry dehumidified environment, we have seen it last two years

QUOTE(willieg @ Feb 16 2024, 09:54 PM) *

I am just about finished doing a five lug conversion, with roll bar, with custom door handles, blah, blah blah. As a result, the car has been off the road for about a year. I drained the gas tank and have replaced with fresh gas. But I was wondering how long some of you have left gas in the tank of a fuel injected car and not had any problems when you restarted the car. Just wondering if I was too hasty.

technicalninja
I prefer to have E15 that is less than 12 months old.
If the tank is already nasty inside less than 6 months.
Modern plastic tank cars can last 1 year in optimal conditions. (inside a garage).

Nobody close to me will take bad gas.

When I have a customer car with bad gas I slowly feed it to my 300k 97 Chevy 3/4 ton van.

5 gallons bad with 15 gallons fresh doesn't seem to affect it at all.

I'm NOT a greenie but I DON"T dump that crap into the ground.

I feed it to the "Zepplin" slowly...

Non-ethanol gas will last a decade.

I have a customer that feeds his stable of old school hot rods 100 octane low-lead (av gas) and his fuel is OVER 6 years old.

Works fine!
windforfun
I pour two pints of tequila (CH3CH2OH) into my tank every couple of months followed by a pint of nitromethane (CH3NO2). When I hit the accelerator I have all I can do to keep my hands on the steering wheel. If you try this, I strongly suggest you go to the bathroom beforehand. Oh, & take your hat off too. And, the fuel mixture never goes south.

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
technicalninja
If that makes your 914 so fast you're having trouble holding the steering wheel, then you're pouring the CH3CH2OH into your mouth, not the gas tank...

beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif

As a child I found out that if you pour a line of Nitro RC fuel across a street at night and light it, it burns with a truly weird purple/red/blue flame much to the terror of anyone driving a car down the same street!

The flames were approximately 18" high.

Like driving through the gates of HELL...

windforfun
QUOTE(technicalninja @ Feb 18 2024, 09:58 AM) *

If that makes your 914 so fast you're having trouble holding the steering wheel, then you're pouring the CH3CH2OH into your mouth, not the gas tank...

As a child I found out that if you pour a line of Nitro RC fuel across a street at night and light it, it burns with a truly weird purple/red/blue flame much to the terror of anyone driving a car down the same street!

The flames were approximately 18" high.

Like driving through the gates of HELL...

You're the best man!!! Enjoy your evening!!! Why do I do everything in threes?

confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif
Chris914n6
My experience has been for pure gas about 5 years before it turned to varnish.
The e10 we have now not even 6 months. Because it separates it needs to be mixed every week or 2. The ethanol will eat thru non-ethanol rated hoses where it concentrates in low spots. The hose gets soft on the inside then will suddenly crack and spray.
The fuel pump may or may not have ethanol safe seals/orings.
Fuel rails/injectors seem to do ok as there is no air that far into the system. Might get sticky but fresh gas will clean it, it usually runs fine after 1/2 hour of idling.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.