Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you prevent seat belt from twisting in ring?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gatornapper
Driver's seat belt often twists/flips in the chrome ring above its mount as I pull it out to put it on - almost half the time. This then jams it.

Any advice on how to prevent this from happening?

Also even though it's been used now for 7 years, it still is too stiff. Any trick to softening it up?

TIA,

GN
Gatornapper
Am I the only one with this problem? Happens in my old '96 F-150 too.......

GN
windforfun
Assuming the belt is retracted & the metal male piece is retained by a plastic piece at your shoulder, if you pull the metal male piece straight out, you should be just fine. Is the metal male piece facing out? If not, it got flipped around on the belt. Now you have to twist the belt when you buckle up.

confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif
Gatornapper
Metal male piece facing out.

Many times it is fine. Maybe more than half.......other times metal piece stays where it should, belt twists 1/2 flip inside metal piece - then jams.

QUOTE(windforfun @ Feb 17 2024, 11:09 AM) *

Assuming the belt is retracted & the metal male piece is retained by a plastic piece at your shoulder, if you pull the metal male piece straight out, you should be just fine. Is the metal male piece facing out? If not, it got flipped around on the belt. Now you have to twist the belt when you buckle up.

confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif
windforfun
Maybe then it's the belt stiffness. You might want to try Murphy's Oil Soap. I used to use it on leather saddles for horseback riding. WD 40 might work, but only temporarily.
Does the top chrome ring rotate okay? Google it.

beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
Front yard mechanic
My 50 year old belts do the same, one day I’ll source new. I’m afraid to now it would be the best thing on my car stromberg.gif
Gatornapper
Chrome ring rotates quite freely.

As I grew up riding and we used to have horses, very familiar with Murphy's Oil Soap. Sounds like a good idea.

Thanks!

GN

QUOTE(windforfun @ Feb 17 2024, 06:05 PM) *

Maybe then it's the belt stiffness. You might want to try Murphy's Oil Soap. I used to use it on leather saddles for horseback riding. WD 40 might work, but only temporarily.
Does the top chrome ring rotate okay? Google it.

beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
Gatornapper
RickB45 says he pulled his belts off, soaked them in soapy water, rinsed & dried them and they were like new.

May do that.

GN
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.