Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing speedo cable....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
second wind
Hello out there in wonderful 914 land....so my speedo cable broke in the back and I bought a beautiful new one, Gemo brand, for $34.10 from RM European in Littleton, Colorado vs. $79 flaps....removing old one no problem...installing new one problem!! I thought I could fish-tape the new one through the firewall opening but no luck...there has to be a trick/method/technique to get the new cable through the little itty bitty firewall hole into the cabin...please tell me what the trick is?? Thank you very much!!!!!
All the best,
gg
windforfun
Something is fishy. No pun intended. Dumb ? perhaps, but are the new cable connectors the same size as the old ones?

confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif
mlindner
You tie a string on the small end before pulling the old one out. Then just pull the new one through. I forget which end is the small one...I think on the speedo. Best, Mark
913B
I had a problem with the new replacement cable I purchased online, it looked like the same diameter, but when I tried pushing through the opening in the firewall it would stop after 1-2 feet. If I pushed in my original cable it wasn't a problem. I eventually purchased a new old stock from another member and that one slid in all the way no problem.
Luckily I was able to return the cable.
Maybe the seller put my cable back into his inventory?

Oh the boots on the new cable were not exactly the same as well.

beerchug.gif
second wind
Hey guys and thank you for the replies.....I think the cable is correct and I am thinking that I need to get exactly in front of the bulkhead opening and push the tightening nut through precisely through the hole without any tilt or angle.....otherwise it will not go through.....just was hoping there is a trick to learn about how to do it.....lying on the ground trying to install the cable doesn't help getting it in the hole straight....a lift sure would be nice!!!
All the best,
gg
second wind
I double checked and the diameter of the threaded part of the cable tightening nut is identical to the original one so that is not the issue....I think it is that I am not getting a straight flat approach to the bulkhead hole....I will keep trying and still welcome any ideas that someone may have.....thank you very much!!
gg
bkrantz
QUOTE(second wind @ Feb 19 2024, 05:26 PM) *

I double checked and the diameter of the threaded part of the cable tightening nut is identical to the original one so that is not the issue....I think it is that I am not getting a straight flat approach to the bulkhead hole....I will keep trying and still welcome any ideas that someone may have.....thank you very much!!
gg

Sorry, misread your post.
windforfun
Open up the tunnel from the interior above & see what's going on. Pull out all the crap in between the seats & take a look. Yes?

beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
second wind
QUOTE(windforfun @ Feb 19 2024, 07:33 PM) *

Open up the tunnel from the interior above & see what's going on. Pull out all the crap in between the seats & take a look. Yes?

beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif

Yes....the basics.....as soon as it stops raining here in Los Angeles I think I got this !!! After 14 years of working on this car can anything really stop me?? I don't think so....I sure wish I had a lift!!! My car would be so much nicer!!! And my back!!!!
All the best and thank you !!
gg
BK911
I just did this last weekend and couldn't believe how easy it was.
Open up all the access ports along the tunnel.
Mine slid right in but I had to grab it near the fire wall to clear some stuff.
Other than that it was super easy.
friethmiller
Not that you'll have this issue but my only problem was that the speedo cable nut that screws on the the transmission was left-hand threaded. Crazy I know but apparently there was a run of Gemo cables made that way. My solution was to remove the nut and install the original (right-handed) nut from the old cable. Worked like a charm! I don't remember having too much of an issue installing the cable but it must have been enough to warrant me doing this. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
some of the gemo cables are not made in germany and the heads are too big to fit through the firewall hole

QUOTE(second wind @ Feb 18 2024, 07:54 PM) *

Hello out there in wonderful 914 land....so my speedo cable broke in the back and I bought a beautiful new one, Gemo brand, for $34.10 from RM European in Littleton, Colorado vs. $79 flaps....removing old one no problem...installing new one problem!! I thought I could fish-tape the new one through the firewall opening but no luck...there has to be a trick/method/technique to get the new cable through the little itty bitty firewall hole into the cabin...please tell me what the trick is?? Thank you very much!!!!!
All the best,
gg

second wind
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 20 2024, 07:52 AM) *

some of the gemo cables are not made in germany and the heads are too big to fit through the firewall hole

I double checked with the old cable and the heads are a perfect match.....I think I need to clean/clear the path in the tunnel and get a nice straight shot at it.....
Thank you,
gg

QUOTE(second wind @ Feb 18 2024, 07:54 PM) *

All the best,
gg

targa72e
My last cable was also from RM euro (I live about a mile away from them) purchased in 2021. I also could not get the nut thru the hole. Ended up squishing the nut a little to get it thru and then squishing back to correct shape. Cable has sense been burned on exhaust manifold and I need to replace again. Hoping this time is easier.

john
second wind
QUOTE(targa72e @ Feb 20 2024, 08:44 PM) *

My last cable was also from RM euro (I live about a mile away from them) purchased in 2021. I also could not get the nut thru the hole. Ended up squishing the nut a little to get it thru and then squishing back to correct shape. Cable has sense been burned on exhaust manifold and I need to replace again. Hoping this time is easier.

john

Now that is very interesting....I put the old and the new next to each other and they looked identical.....it has finally stopped raining here in Los Angeles so I will give it a go i a day or so and report back. What does RM Euro look like? Thank you very much!
gg
targa72e
What does RM Euro look like?

I guess I should say RM offices are near me. They have a suite in a office building. 30 x 60 room with 2-3 guys on computers, shelves for local pickups and returns. I used to have the option to pick up at that location for no shipping charges so I was stopping by all the time. Now flat $7 shipping to my house, not bad shipping cost and there prices are very good.

john
second wind
Ok....new speedo cable in and working great....thank you all for your kind advice. I did grind off the ribs on the tightening nut on the speedo end of the cable and that helped me weave the cable through the tunnel and other wires and such. HOWEVER....my temperature gauge and fuel gauge both go pinned right when I turn the dimmer switch to maximum....and back off when I turn down a bit but temp gauge climbs to past maximum within a couple of minutes or so of running. Car is not running hot at all (good thing I have a cylinder head temp gauge) so I pretty much know I jiggled some wires up around the actual speedo and have caused an electrical snafu....I am all ears on what I should do or be looking for?? Thank you very much for your help once again!!
gg
Geezer914
Temp gauge in the dash with the fuel gauge? I would pull the dash with the gauges installed just to check the wires attached to the back of the gauges.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.