Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT battery cut off in cabin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
morehills
I note that 914-6 GTs have battery cutoff switches mounted on the cowl and some were mounted inside on the tunnel behind the shift lever. Were they in both spots?

I'd like to move mine from the frunk to inside the cabin. Currently, there's a positive lead running from the funk mounted battery to the starter--trough the inside and along the door side of the passenger seat. I'd like to reroute it to the tunnel and install a cutoff switch.

Or maybe I just move the battery back to where it was? But that's an entirely different discussion. Not sure why it was moved forward.

Thanks, John
brant
Moving forward often done for weight distribution
Not necessary on a street car

But that little 1 percent improvement on a track car where weight management comes into play

We did it
Our 6 weighs 1815 wet and we wanted to balance it a bit
Retroracer
So yes, the Factory GTs had cut offs in two position - on the cowl and between the seats. Bosch part, wired in series.

As you say, the battery relocation is another conversation / set of preferences.

- Tony

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
fasthonda
Did mine GT style and like it.

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
The outside cutoff is for rescue workers, the inside is for the driver.
shades.gif

PS: Also worth noting, a simple battery cutoff won't always immediately stop the engine from running and might damage your alternator if used when the engine is running.
Kill switches come with alternator surge protection and guarantee that the engine will shut off immediately without harming the alternator.
Retroracer
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 20 2024, 10:02 AM) *

The outside cutoff is for rescue workers, the inside is for the driver.
shades.gif

PS: Also worth noting, a simple battery cutoff won't always immediately stop the engine from running and might damage your alternator if used when the engine is running.
Kill switches come with alternator surge protection and guarantee that the engine will shut off immediately without harming the alternator.

Excellent PSA!

- Tony
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.