Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - a moment of weakness
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Superhawk996
Hauled home this past weekend.

As if I even have time to deal with these. happy11.gif

Blue is 73’ Super Beetle. Pretty solid body and chassis. Motor spins freely but said to have had rod knock.

Yellow 74’ Super Beetle. Light collision damage in front. Significant Rust. Motor is seized. 1 tire holds air. Likely to be a donor to the 73’ and later become a chop top rat rod. I’ve never done a chop - I think this is the candidate.

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
Awesome!

Loved my '74 super beetle ...
driving.gif

IPB Image
windforfun
So when did they stop using a flat windshield?

confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif
Superhawk996
Dang - love the size of the rear tires. beerchug.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(windforfun @ Feb 20 2024, 08:42 PM) *

So when did they stop using a flat windshield?

confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif

With 73’ Super Beetle I believe. I’ve owned a couple earlier beetles but these will be my first super’s.

My knowledge of beetle details isn’t even close to 914’s. I guess I’ll be learning the hard way.
930cabman
Can I offer a congrats? I have heard rumor about this forum being a group of candidates for the looney bin. aktion035.gif
rick 918-S
Got this for the boys 79 Super. This will be their Highschool car. They are 8 & 10. The car had the pan replaced and has all new front suspension. It came with a fresh engine and aboput 20 bins of parts.

Click to view attachment
r_towle
We are all sick.
I have two in the barn
@rick 918-S yes, one was Axels high school car, restored together.

Lol
worn
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 20 2024, 04:39 PM) *

Awesome!

driving.gif

Absolutely a cool car. About to do wheelies next to a child’s swing set. Still a cool car.
nditiz1
My first car was a 72 super my dad and I restored. It and 71 are the only flat windshield super beetles. In 73 they went to the curved windshield. My profile Pic has my 60 ragtop which I still have. I also have another 72 super in yellow which was the main characters car in "once upon a time" tv show. Then, I have a 73 or 74 can't remember waiting patiently for the day to bring it back to road status. Just like you "as if I have time" hahaha.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 20 2024, 06:35 PM) *

Blue is 73’ Super Beetle. Pretty solid body and chassis. Motor spins freely but said to have had rod knock.

Yellow 74’ Super Beetle. Light collision damage in front. Significant Rust. Motor is seized. 1 tire holds air. Likely to be a donor to the 73’ and later become a chop top rat rod. I’ve never done a chop - I think this is the candidate.

Click to view attachment

love it. beerchug.gif
love those big tailight beetles. top stuff. beer.gif

my entire childhood is my mother's beetle.
how can you not love those cars.
biggrin.gif

go for it.
wonkipop
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 20 2024, 06:39 PM) *

Awesome!

driving.gif

IPB Image

fark yeah. beerchug.gif beer.gif beer3.gif
TRS63
Congratulations ! Beetles are great friends to 914s biggrin.gif
I have a 52 and a 62 sharing my time with the 914:
IPB Image

IPB Image

Bests

Antoine
930cabman
All of you guys are crazy,

maybe we could get special pricing at a rehab center cheer.gif
Garland
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Our Bahama Blau 66. Sold

Click to view attachment
majkos1
me and Henna!
Click to view attachment

'62 convertible,
Original motor, 83,000
Runs and drives,
It's my Father's
Just sold it.
he has too many vehicles. bs.gif
barefoot
I married into a 1964 in 1965 and after several years in northern Ohio salt encrusted winters, the rear bumper fell off.
I remember scraping ice off the inside of the windshield.
never wanted another one stirthepot.gif

Barefoot
930cabman
Good for you Phil, are you considering an addition to your new car shop?
jhynesrockmtn
Ha, I look at Beetle ads fairly frequently and I think I have seen that pair. My first car was a 63. I need to come visit you sometime!
brant
I fully support this decision
and also am a little bit jealous...

never had a beetle
always wanted one.
brant
burton73
My first new car was a 1972 marathon blue special addition super beetle. I want a 1973 marathon blue special addition Sports Bug with the Recaro seats.

Best Bob b

1973 Click to view attachment

1972 Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
1973 is a good year for a Bug, Super or Standard:

Superhawk996
QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 21 2024, 11:18 AM) *

Good for you Phil, are you considering an addition to your new car shop?

Yeah . . . As if finishing the shop isn’t going to pretty much occupy the next year or so. lol-2.gif winter crap weather has really slowed things down.

Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
QUOTE(jhynesrockmtn @ Feb 21 2024, 12:15 PM) *

Ha, I look at Beetle ads fairly frequently and I think I have seen that pair. My first car was a 63. I need to come visit you sometime!

Yup - damn Craigslist. East of Clark Fork, 1 mile from Montana border.

Seller is moving so at least he was motivated to negotiate. Has a couple early Mustangs too. idea.gif

No . . Must control myself chair.gif No! headbang.gif

When I get the shop finished and actually have some interesting projects underway - we’ll have to get you over here.
Superhawk996
I never knew there were so many bug fans here.

Sure there is crossover (VW, air cooled, etc) but never suspected so many others here shared the same deviancy.
mb911
You all with a second or 3rd ride are lucky folks. That would not fly in my household. The 928 project was pushing the limits and it was always for sale lol
dr914@autoatlanta.com
you have begun to save them! Congratulations

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 20 2024, 05:35 PM) *

Click to view attachment

jhynesrockmtn
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 21 2024, 12:51 PM) *

I never knew there were so many bug fans here.

Sure there is crossover (VW, air cooled, etc) but never suspected so many others here shared the same deviancy.

My first car, 63 Bug. This pic was roughly 1979. It didn't actually have any FV options, except for the sticker.

Click to view attachment

My first race car. Zink C-4 Formula Vee

Click to view attachment
Front yard mechanic
All I can say is I’m glad it’s you and not me. Something about Vws really bug me it’s hard to get lucky in the back of a bug plus they smell like hose hair
wonkipop
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Feb 21 2024, 08:03 PM) *

All I can say is I’m glad it’s you and not me. Something about Vws really bug me it’s hard to get lucky in the back of a bug plus they smell like hose hair

type 3 variant with foam cushion and the back seat folded flat solved problem back in ye olde surfing days. horse hair smell clicked with chicks. they loved their ponies.

look up winkipop on the web. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
fiacra
@superhawk996 You'll get no sympathy from me biggrin.gif . On Sunday I'm picking up the 1962 ragtop Beetle that I bought from the California Auto Museum. A beautiful older restoration. I've had a number of Beetles over the years, all of them fun and none of them reliable. Of course, that was part of the charm. I got a 1959 ragtop when I was 19, and 39 years later I still have it. It hasn't been on the road for years and I've always called it my retirement project. Unfortunately the 1962 will probably be replacing it and I'll be looking to find the right home for it. Picture of it below, along with the "new" Beetle. @TRS63 , looks like we have twin cars....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
930cabman
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 21 2024, 02:34 PM) *

QUOTE(jhynesrockmtn @ Feb 21 2024, 12:15 PM) *

Yup - damn Craigslist. East of Clark Fork, 1 mile from Montana border.

Seller is moving so at least he was motivated to negotiate. Has a couple early Mustangs too. idea.gif

No . . Must control myself chair.gif No! headbang.gif

When I get the shop finished and actually have some interesting projects underway - we’ll have to get you over here.

Damn Craigslist, especially East of Clark Fork, wherever the hell that is lol-2.gif
racer914
After my first car was wrecked, a '56 VW Bug, I bought this '62 for $30. It had started on fire due to an electrical short which primarily burned the interior. I took parts from the 56 and repaired the 62 which became my daily driver. The wife and I started dating in that car some 50+ years ago. I've had probably 15 different VW's over the years and still have some fond (and not so fond) memories of them.Click to view attachment
majkos1
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Feb 22 2024, 12:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Feb 21 2024, 08:03 PM) *

type 3 variant with foam cushion and the back seat folded flat solved problem back in ye olde surfing days. horse hair smell clicked with chicks. they loved their ponies.

look up winkipop on the web. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Type III Squareback, back seat fold down, foam cushion, Wood panel sides,covers window, "Passion Wagon" aktion035.gif
Daily driver Colorado Ski Racing days. (High school -'85) Got a 914.
best part was, Had a Steward/Warner Gas heater.
Root_Werks
Doesn't surprise me at all many 914 folks are VW folks as well. My first Bug bought for $7.50 back in 1983 or 1984, can't remember. It was a basket case. I spent a year fixing it up and when I turned 16, got my license and drove the Bug to school.

This picture is from 1985 or 1986:

Superhawk996
Nice looking oval window!

Cars were just a lot more interesting back then. Vega in background? Type 3 over on left?

Of the 3 in that photo, none look alike.

Contrast that to today’s modern stromberg.gif. Generic jelly bean CUV/SUV/Full size truck dominate the roads. The CUV/SUV segment largely powered by some ubiquitous 2.0L turbo and a slush box. barf.gif

I guess that is at the heart of why I bought the bugs. Tired of generics.

Root_Werks
Yup, was a buddies T3 Fastback, 1971 Vega my Dad bought new and my 1965 "Oval". Note it has big side windows and no vent below the rear window. When I was 15, I didn't have the skills to keep the vents intact. I remember being so excited to get the rear decklid back after having all the louvers stamped. Thought it was such a cool look.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Feb 21 2024, 10:03 PM) *

To me, getting lucky in the back seat of a Bug means that I found that missing 10mm socket. laugh.gif

And if the rear seat cushion wasn’t made out of horse hair, how would it catch on fire so easily when your fat friend sits or it, shorting out the seat springs to the battery terminals below. Been there done that. av-943.gif
Chris H.
Yep my first car was a '72 Sportbug, then a '72 SB, '64, '67....been jonesing for another one lately actually.

Hey Dan those side windows look a little too big for an oval...was an oval window back-dated into it or is it just the pic angle? Love the stance and the louvered decklid.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Feb 22 2024, 09:27 AM) *

Yep my first car was a '72 Sportbug, then a '72 SB, '64, '67....been jonesing for another one lately actually.

Hey Dan those side windows look a little too big for an oval...was an oval window back-dated into it or is it just the pic angle? Love the stance and the louvered decklid.

Good eye, yes, grafted in oval section. Old school Oxy-Actyl even.

welder.gif
mepstein
I remember being carted around in the back seat of many bugs owned by my friends parents. Hot and uncomfortable in the summer. Not much better in the winter.
Nostalgically, they look cute but I was never a fan.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 22 2024, 01:53 PM) *

I remember being carted around in the back seat of many bugs owned by my friends parents. Hot and uncomfortable in the summer. Not much better in the winter.
Nostalgically, they look cute but I was never a fan.

Blue 73 has AC. Undecided about that but thinking I may revive. We don’t have Midwest & East Coast humidity here so might be unnecessary. Would definitely get modern compressor that has less parasitic load if I go that route and keep AC. Like 914 AC, it’s a cobble job how they were installed.
burton73
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Feb 22 2024, 08:01 AM) *

Doesn't surprise me at all many 914 folks are VW folks as well. My first Bug bought for $7.50 back in 1983 or 1984, can't remember. It was a basket case. I spent a year fixing it up and when I turned 16, got my license and drove the Bug to school.

This picture is from 1985 or 1986:

I bought my 1st car a 58 VW sunroof bug from a Pharmacy in Beverly Hills for $75. (it was there delivery vehicle). That was in 1969, it got its paint job at the Beverly Hills Earl Shibe for $39.95 because it was a metallic silver.

It was a beater, but I fixed it all up.

Bob B
MikeK
Here's my 66 Okrasa. This was purchased from the original owner about 25 years ago. It was bought new then immediately sent to Oettinger/Okrasa for tuning. Every part of this car is modified; disk brakes, Koni coilovers, Carerra style oil lines running to a front mounted cooler, Bosch emergency vehicle tone generator running to several horns, Abarth steering wheel, etc...

The owner said he wanted a sleeper that was faster than the Porsches on the Autobahn. He said it was.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
930cabman
Very cool example Mike
VaccaRabite
Oh man, you have stepped in it now.

Pretty soon you are going to have a Bus mid restoration, a Rabbit on the lift, and a rusted out dune buggy waiting for its chance for a new life.

Its not an easy path you are choosing to walk!
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

I'm telling you, they start to multiply if you leave them alone. Damn Rabbits!

Zach
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Feb 23 2024, 06:46 AM) *

Oh man, you have stepped in it now.

Pretty soon you are going to have a Bus mid restoration, a Rabbit on the lift, and a rusted out dune buggy waiting for its chance for a new life.

Its not an easy path you are choosing to walk!

I'm telling you, they start to multiply if you leave them alone. Damn Rabbits!

Zach

I have the very first Rabbit factory AC unit to come down the line at VWoA manufacturing in Fort Worth. It hung on the wall of the factory for years, until VW closed the plant. My father got it because he designed the unit.

Brand new, never been installed in a car.
wonkipop
QUOTE(MikeK @ Feb 22 2024, 01:06 PM) *

Here's my 66 Okrasa. This was purchased from the original owner about 25 years ago. It was bought new then immediately sent to Oettinger/Okrasa for tuning. Every part of this car is modified; disk brakes, Koni coilovers, Carerra style oil lines running to a front mounted cooler, Bosch emergency vehicle tone generator running to several horns, Abarth steering wheel, etc...

The owner said he wanted a sleeper that was faster than the Porsches on the Autobahn. He said it was.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif first.gif

------------------

i was offered one of these back in the late 80s..................price. $0.00

i was leaving for the USA for grad studies and dear old dad refused to stash if for me down the back of his yard. biggrin.gif dad was smart. he figured i was never coming back. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

country buggies are worth unbelievable sums of money now.
couldn't even give em away back then.
i drove it on a test drive. fantastic. rode higher than a mini moke.
made you feel 10% safer if you imagined getting t-boned.
no back seat. total minimalism beyond anything even the germans could come up with.
930cabman
THE BUSH FOREVER
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.