Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sold - 914 2.0 73/74 Leistritz "Factory 914/6 Style Sport Muffler"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
dsmeyer
Sold - 914 2.0 73/74 "Factory 914/6 Style Sport Muffler"

- Based on a 06 - 85 Dated Leistritz 914 2.0 73/74 Muffler.
- Modified by Alan Johnson Racing in San Diego about 35 years ago.
- Fits Great with a Standard '73 and later Rear Valance.

Back in the day, if you wanted a "Factory Style Sport Muffler" for your 911 or 914/6, you had to have someone Modify a Stock Muffler for you. Alan Johnson Racing in San Diego was one of shops that was offering those. They were the only one that I knew of that was offering this Sport Muffler for a 2.0 914/4.
They had it shown in their catalog and it was not inexpensive, so I don't think that they sold very many of them.
To Modify them, they would start with a New Leistritz Muffler. Then they would cut out the holes for the two new Tailpipes with a Torch. They would also cut a hole into one of the internal baffles, before welding the New Tailpipes on. Lastly they would cut off and cap the Stock Tailpipe, and then paint it all Gray.

In the interest of full disclosure, Alan Johnson did not get the angle of the new Tailpipes right. So I had to get them cut and rewelded on the the car using a homemade fixture.
They look Great from the top side, but the welder had to add a small half-moon piece to the bottom on one side. We also added gussets to the top to prevent the welds from ever cracking. It has also been kept painted with High Heat Paint to keep it from rusting.

My 914 got hit, and totaled over 15 years ago. I parted out the entire car, but this is one of the last pieces that I have left. This one of a kind and very rare Muffler Looked and Sounded so good, that I kept it just in case I got another 914. I never did so now it is for sale.

$600 plus actual shipping cost.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
flyer86d
I’ve never seen one for a four cylinder but I ran an Alan Johnson twin pipe on my 73 911. With a stock muffler, it would fall on its face at 6600 rpm. The same car (a 911E) with the twin pipe would pull strong to 7300. It would howl on acceleration and had the most ungodly snarl when you backed off. Shouldn’t have sold that car!!!

Charlie
rgalla9146

Now I need a car to put it on.
Beautiful.
shlurton
Very cool! PM sent.
dsmeyer
QUOTE(shlurton @ Feb 23 2024, 10:17 AM) *

Very cool! PM sent.

Sold... and going to a good home!
aturboman
I second that!

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 22 2024, 07:34 PM) *

Now I need a car to put it on.
Beautiful.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.