Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Source for replacement driver's rear suspension console
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vintage914racer
Five years ago I had to get the passenger rear suspension console replaced on my vintage race car. I had a local fab shop install a replacement console that I sourced from Restoration Design. From what I can see, they only make the passenger side. It appears that all other listings I see elsewhere (likely resellers of the RD part) are for the passenger side as well.

Am I overlooking something? Does anyone know of a source with a new replacement for the driver's side?

Second, does anyone have the jig I could beg, borrow, rent or steal for the install? Last go around a member loaned me his, but it doesn't appear that he's been active here for a couple of years.
bkrantz
As far as I know, the only new replacement would be a beyond rare NOS factory repair part. You best bet is cutting one out of a donor chassis. At least that side is more common without rust.
vintage914racer
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Feb 22 2024, 07:37 PM) *

As far as I know, the only new replacement would be a beyond rare NOS factory repair part. You best bet is cutting one out of a donor chassis. At least that side is more common without rust.

That's what I was afraid of.
mepstein
None available aftermarket. You need one from a cut up car.
vintage914racer
Thanks for confirming

Now the search for a good used donor console begins...
rgalla9146

Can you get by with the lowest part of the pickup ?
I'm pretty sure I have it... have to find...
friethmiller
As far as a jig, can you just create one? If you have the location of the inner bolt you can just fab in some angle iron like I did here. Plus there's a known measurement from a hole in the center of the upper firewall to the inner ear that you can use to verify.
vintage914racer
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 23 2024, 08:47 AM) *

Can you get by with the lowest part of the pickup ?
I'm pretty sure I have it... have to find...

Given the amount of metal fatigue and flex-ness, I'd prefer replacing the whole thing.

QUOTE(friethmiller @ Feb 23 2024, 09:07 AM) *

As far as a jig, can you just create one? If you have the location of the inner bolt you can just fab in some angle iron like I did here. Plus there's a known measurement from a hole in the center of the upper firewall to the inner ear that you can use to verify.

Yes, that is an option. I'll be having a fab shop do the work, as this is beyond my welding abilities.
brant
Don’t know if you have braces on the chassis to the console on each side
If not you should consider them for a race car

I ripped out a couple of consoles on my old race 914
The structure is not strong enough for race tires as stock

Put heim link adjustable braces in 25 years ago and no problem since
Added something similar to the current car when it was built in 2004 and zero problems also on that car
vintage914racer
QUOTE(brant @ Feb 23 2024, 09:45 AM) *

Don’t know if you have braces on the chassis to the console on each side
If not you should consider them for a race car

I ripped out a couple of consoles on my old race 914
The structure is not strong enough for race tires as stock

Put heim link adjustable braces in 25 years ago and no problem since
Added something similar to the current car when it was built in 2004 and zero problems also on that car

Yes, they do have inner and outer braces in there. When they were added I think the co close probably should’ve been replaced as well, versus band-aided.

The car has been a track rat since new.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we have plenty of used LEFT ones in stock, and we make the right side of course
rgalla9146

Not where I thought.
Looked plenty.
In three weeks I'll trip over it sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.