Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlights stopped popping up all of a sudden
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CoronaMike
Hi all!

Thise seems like it must be something easy that I'm missing. So my headlights stopped popping up all of a sudden and I also noticed that the hazard lights also stopped working when I pull the switch. The right and left blinkers work, but that's it. I checked the fuses and they all seem to be good. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Mike
windforfun
Check the headlight switch & it's connections. I would then check the wiring to the lights. Is there a mouse or two living in your car?

idea.gif idea.gif idea.gif
emerygt350
I bet it's the switch, since a mess up there would also cause the fogs to not turn on. That headlight switch is an overly complicated weak point if you ask me.
CoronaMike
Ok I'll check the switch. Is there a way to test it once I get it out?
76-914
I just had this happen a while back. IIRC, it was a fuse. 4th one from the right side maybe?
CoronaMike
Update:

So I called @dr914 to ask if he thought it might be the switch or the relay - he said - before you check any of that - go and make sure all the wires to the positive battery terminal are good.

And sure enough this wire had pulled off of its connector ring.

Genius.
Thanks doc!

M
Click to view attachment
emerygt350
crazy. Well that was easy.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(CoronaMike @ Mar 4 2024, 12:14 PM) *

Update:

So I called @dr914 to ask if he thought it might be the switch or the relay - he said - before you check any of that - go and make sure all the wires to the positive battery terminal are good.

And sure enough this wire had pulled off of its connector ring.

Genius.
Thanks doc!

M
Click to view attachment

those connections loosen and also get coroded , I recently cleaned those up , i bought a new crimper and cut off those old bad worn wires and put new connectors on. i will post a picture later. Those are unfused and go straight up front to the board. Some people have opted to add a fused connection in back so that if the load or a short happens up front you can help prevent a full melt down or fire. IMHO they should have fused this. I followed the lead of others and did this as well. those dont look well done and are not factory for sure, someone else has been there before you..... but glad you figured it out with the help of the good dr914.

Phil
windforfun
Those connectors should be replaced. Crimp first & then flow solder into them. Add shrink tubing. This is how Mercedes does it. And don't cut any strands!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.