Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door Spring Mechanism
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mmascari
I assume these are designed to hold the door open. Neither of my doors stay open, for example on a driveway with a small incline. Are these easy to rebuild or should I find some used ones? I see them on Auto Atlanta for $100 each plus $100 core charge
Mikey914
We make the kits

https://914rubber.com/door-stay-rebuild-kit-for-porsche-914

mmascari
Great, didnt think to look on your site. Are you out of stock? I tried to Add to Cart.
windforfun
I would just lube the shit out of what you have & then exercise the doors. Repeat this for several days. It's sort of similar to getting the shutter curtains to work in my Nikon F camera collection. Has the mounting plate lost its screws? That might be the basic problem. Maybe not.

beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
mmascari
QUOTE(windforfun @ Feb 25 2024, 04:24 PM) *

I would just lube the shit out of what you have & then exercise the doors. Repeat this for several days. It's sort of similar to getting the shutter curtains to work in my Nikon F camera collection. Has the mounting plate lost its screws? That might be the basic problem. Maybe not.

Everything is there; the screws the pin etc. I just took it apart, cleaned the heck out of it and reinstalled it. There is just no pressure on the arm at all. Is it possible to install it backwards? See my pic.
windforfun
Are there lots of miles on the car? Maybe the springs are shot. Do the "indents" in the flat pieces make a clicking sound? If not, they might be worn out. Do the springs help with keeping the door open or closing it?

idea.gif idea.gif idea.gif
87m491

"lubing" won't work as the problem described is actually a lack of friction if you will. Either the camel humps in the door stay have flattened out or the rollers have worn and flat sided, either of which problems will be exacerbated by additional lubrication. You can see the flat spot on the plastic roller. The factory stays are knurled as you can see to make sure they turn the rollers instead of riding over them, Over time the lube on the roller spindle(s) dries out (if there ever was any) and the knurling just saws at the plastic. In doing so it wears down the resistance of the roller to the stay and voila the door no longer has its opening detents or resistance.

IPB Image
87m491
QUOTE(windforfun @ Feb 25 2024, 05:43 PM) *

Are there lots of miles on the car? Maybe the springs are shot. Do the "indents" in the flat pieces make a clicking sound? If not, they might be worn out. Do the springs help with keeping the door open or closing it?

idea.gif idea.gif idea.gif

When all is working well there should be no "clicking sounds. There will be a loud click/clunk/squeek when opening closing if the retaining pin on the front fender has ovaled out the holes and the door lurches under pressure causing the pin to drive into the stay.

928s and 911s make a very similar version of this disconcerting sound when their stays wear.
87m491
QUOTE(mmascari @ Feb 25 2024, 04:31 PM) *

Everything is there; the screws the pin etc. I just took it apart, cleaned the heck out of it and reinstalled it. There is just no pressure on the arm at all. Is it possible to install it backwards? See my pic.

Can't tell from that pic if the reassy was correct, but likely OK if you took a picture and matched it. More likely the stay, and or the rolers are worn out or flat spotted and need replacing.
rick 918-S
Those kits work great.
Puebloswatcop
The rebuild kits from 914 Rubber are awesome. Also make sure the retaining pins that hold the arm to the frame of the car are there.
Puebloswatcop
The rebuild kits from 914 Rubber are awesome. Also make sure the retaining pins that hold the arm to the frame of the car are there.
Mikey914
I'm working on seeing what is wrong with the listing. Should have it resolved Thursday.
-Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.