Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT filler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914werke
For those of you who have installed one, did you bother with refitting the Evap tank?
Im getting that you need the early tank (fittings) if so as the late plastic unit is a one piece setup. confused24.gif
VaccaRabite
I won't say I've seen them all.
But on the cars I have seen it replaces the Evap tank.

I'm sure you could mod the evap tank to accept the hood filler.

PS, it took a minute to figure out what you were asking. I'm assuming you mean changing the tank to accept a fuel door through the hood. Or just having the fuel cap come up through the front hood. Either way, its custom all around.

Zach
Geezer914
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Expansion tank kept in place, 75 914.
914werke
Nice execution @Geezer
I assume that is FG? I see that that you "filler door assy" is recessed into the hood

To clarify, Im doing a replica GT filler installation into a stock steel hood.
SM sells a pretty nice kit with the essential pieces.
Once installed it provides for rain catch & drain but to continue to use the charcoal evap system & tank you need to ditch the early filler neck "catch" but it looks like you could still fit the tank?
The late plastic evap tank you cannot use.
And somewhat importantly, you need to start with the early tank which has different mounting tabs.
Geezer914
Wow, $387 for the kit?
jim_hoyland
Gotta use the early set up. I wired my fuel door to a small light that activated by a small tilt switch; great for filling up at night in poor light.
jim_hoyland
And here’s a pic of the best fuel door installation I’ve seen. It’s simple and removable
View is from inside of trunk lid…
mepstein
I personally hate - through the hood fuel fillers. I don’t like dripping fuel on a painted hood or being super careful not to. They are sort of like 5 point seat belts. Look cool but not great in real world use.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 26 2024, 12:52 PM) *

I personally hate - through the hood fuel fillers. I don’t like dripping fuel on a painted hood or being super careful not to. They are sort of like 5 point seat belts. Look cool but not great in real world use.

agree.gif

And I don't have to buy a locking gas cap to keep the idiots from siphoning the gas out.

mb911
I did not use the evap. I like my through hood setup but my car rarely sits outside alone.
Steve
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 26 2024, 03:29 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 26 2024, 12:52 PM) *

agree.gif

And I don't have to buy a locking gas cap to keep the idiots from siphoning the gas out.

IMHO
Not a fan either unless your looking to make your car a true GT look car without a cover over it. Most I have seen look like a silver sewer cover. Painted body color looks much better like Jim's if your going to do it.
Larmo63
‘Sewer cover’

Lol
mepstein
I wanted a clean look to my 67 so I shaved the filler door and put the GT filler under the hood. The gas attendants in NJ won’t have a clue. biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
75-76 plastic expansion tank with screw on filler neck cut out early filler neck trimed to fit, worked great for drain feature..
slowrodent
I wanted a clean look to my 67 so I shaved the filler door and put the GT filler under the hood. The gas attendants in NJ won’t have a clue.

Wait just a second ... there are gas attendants in New Jersey?! laugh.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(slowrodent @ Feb 27 2024, 01:17 PM) *

I wanted a clean look to my 67 so I shaved the filler door and put the GT filler under the hood. The gas attendants in NJ won’t have a clue.

Wait just a second ... there are gas attendants in New Jersey?! laugh.gif

Mandatory. No diy.

Not that I would let them actually touch one of my classic cars.
914werke
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
There You go .. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.