Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ltex
Okay, who thought this was a good idea?

I went to replace my starter. Done it lots of times with Fords and Chevs, now on my 72 914.

Bottom nut is not a problem. 17mm socket .. ya-hoo ..

Top bolt .. what the heck??

What's with the two burms on the starter to prevent getting a socket on the bolt???

And I can't get a spanner on it far enough to turn it. Just far enough to flex the span and risk stripping the bolt head.

So how much of the car do I have to disassemble to replace the starter?

This car IS fun to drive, but with the frustration it has generated .. it's just not THAT fun ..

Lonny
mihai914
Try the nut in the engine compartment by the rear firewall instead.

It's times like these you wish you had a Haynes manual or at least read it before wink.gif
McMark
The two protrusions are to keep the bolt from spinning. wink.gif

Go into the engine bay and you'll find the other end of the bolt and a nut.

If it's a 1.7 it'll be trying to hid behind the throttle body. If it's a 2.0 it'll be right behind the cold start injector. Same place on both engines, but the FI changed, so it looks different. I'll go take a picture if I can.
bd1308
headbang.gif i had this one....
McMark
Can't get my camera in there. Sorry.
rhodyguy
like mark said. the bolt head is "captured".

k
black73
Just about had it with this car...

Congratulations! You are now an official 914 owner. I say that every time I work on mine.
bd1308
lol2.gif agree.gif
markb
QUOTE (mihai914 @ Aug 21 2005, 02:22 PM)

It's times like these you wish you had a Haynes manual or at least read it before wink.gif

agree.gif

It's one of those "must have" items. Like AAA. biggrin.gif
wilchek
maybe this will help, this is with the engine out of the car. If you can't get to the bolt take off the engine lid which is very easy to do. Remove aircleaner noteing where the hoses go and the bolt should be obvious on the firwall/enginetin on the transmission side.
wilchek
pic of the bolt on the starter that will not spin and a pic of the wiring to the starter. Remember that the right main wiring nut (on back of solinoide) does not have a connection to it. Two main wires to left nut and one yellow to top spade connection.
SirAndy
QUOTE (mihai914 @ Aug 21 2005, 02:22 PM)
It's times like these you wish you had a Haynes manual or at least read it before

we need a RTFM smily ...

biggrin.gif Andy
ltex
Thanks ..

Dang this car is aggrevating ..
jonwatts
This is part of what defines what type of car guy you are. If you're a Ford guy then the way Chevys are put together doesn't make sense. If you were raised on VW's then Porsche's make sense.
Joe Ricard
Righty tighty Lefty Loosey From the engine compartment side whilst holding the 17mm wrench with finger tips blind cause you probably can't get both your arm and head in there at the same time. Standing on your left foot only holding the engine lid up with your shoulder.
laugh.gif beer.gif
Cap'n Krusty
That above mentioned 17mm nut might just be a 15mm nut, because that's how it came from the factory. The Cap'n
Mueller
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Aug 21 2005, 02:22 PM)
headbang.gif i had this one....

You only have to be 5 percent smarter than the problem to solve it ...   wacko.gif  

that is one smart bolt, hahahaha
McMark
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Aug 22 2005, 01:46 PM)
That above mentioned 17mm nut might just be a 15mm nut, because that's how it came from the factory. The Cap'n

I didn't want to confuse him. wink.gif Are both the nuts in the engine bay supposed to be 15 mm wrench?
SLITS
QUOTE (McMark @ Aug 22 2005, 03:36 PM)
That above mentioned 17mm nut might just be a 15mm nut, because that's how it came from the factory.  The Cap'n

I didn't want to confuse him. wink.gif Are both the nuts in the engine bay supposed to be 15 mm wrench?

The size of the nut was determined by the last nut that threaded the nut on that he found on the floor or in the nut can. cool_shades.gif

Oh, I forgot

user posted image

Read the book
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (McMark @ Aug 22 2005, 02:36 PM)
That above mentioned 17mm nut might just be a 15mm nut, because that's how it came from the factory.  The Cap'n

Yes, and they're substantially thinner than a cylinder head nut. See the picture from "wilchek", which appears to show a head nut instead of the real thing. The Cap'n
Joe Ricard
Sorry Capt BUT MY NUTS ARE BIGGER THAN YOURS. clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif owned.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.