Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 7.5mm fuel hose ethanol compatible
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chaznaster
I put in new fuel hoses from the gas tank to the fuel pump and pump to line in the tunnel about 6 years ago. I have the tank out and noticed that the first 3 inches of the hose coming from the tank is completely rigid and nearly crumbled in my hand. The inside is all crazed and cracked. It was probably ready to let go on its own ... which would have been messy at best.

The odd thing is that the hose is as flexible as new past the trouble spot and for the rest of the run.

It was Cohline 7.5mm hose that I bought from Pelican. The fit was pretty much perfect across all the different fittings on the car.

First questions: could this be ethanol incompatibility? Why would only the first 3 inches be impacted?

I am shopping for some new hose, assuming the Cohline stuff has compatibility issues. Everything I can find that claims EtOH compatibility is in inch measures. 5/8" (8mm) seems just a hair too big and the 1/4" (6mm) is too small.

Next question: can someone point me in the direction of a 7.5mm fuel hose that will stand up to today's US gas formulations? I am running carbs so low pressure hose will do.

Finally, if I have to go with 5/8, would there be any concern over leaking? It may be fine with a clamp on it ...

Note: I am not able to find ethanol free gas where I am in MA.

Many thanks!
live free & drive
Take a five gallon gas can to the Sterling MA airport on a Saturday morning - you can get real gas there. Do not drive up to the pump - go inside and ask if you can fill your can. Extra points if you drive your 914 there as the guy is a 914 fan.

Buy your hose and fittings from Belmetric in Tyngsboro - not far from you either:

https://belmetric.com/hose/gasoline/

r_towle
Agree!

Also Northern Foreign Autoparts in Nashua stocks the right hose.

Can’t recall the places near you…it’s been 25 or more years since I lived down there…..
Maybe Maynard, or Acton has a decent autoparts place still??

Bell metric is for sure a place to know, and shop.

What I learned.
With carbs, it’s better (easier) to have a fuel shutoff before the carbs.
Park car, turn off shutoff, let idle till it dies.
This removes the fuel from the carbs and you won’t need to clean them as often.
Turn on, wait till fuel pump tone changes, the carb bowls are full.
Then crank.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(Chaznaster @ Feb 26 2024, 04:55 PM) *

The odd thing is that the hose is as flexible as new past the trouble spot and for the rest of the run.

First questions: could this be ethanol incompatibility? Why would only the first 3 inches be impacted?

I am shopping for some new hose, assuming the Cohline stuff has compatibility issues. Everything I can find that claims EtOH compatibility is in inch measures. 5/8" (8mm) seems just a hair too big and the 1/4" (6mm) is too small.

Next question: can someone point me in the direction of a 7.5mm fuel hose that will stand up to today's US gas formulations? I am running carbs so low pressure hose will do.

Likey. Ethanol will separate from the gas on it's own and sink to the bottom, which in our case is the fuel hoses.

Gates Barricade seems to be the best stuff out now. 5/16 = 8mm fits my car just fine.

It helps to cycle the fuel pump every week to keep the gas mixed. 100% ethanol isn't good to anything.
Geezer914
I second the Gates Barricade fuel line.
VaccaRabite
5/16th hose works fine. Use fuel injection clamps, not worm drive clamps.
And use SAE j30r9 fuel hose. Yes, its high pressure hose. But that SAE rating means that its proof against the effects of ethanol. I do not believe that there is a low pressure fuel hose that with an SAE rating that is ethanol proof.

I would not use ANY of the metric cloth covered hoses. Even the ones that say they are ethanol resistant. The cloth hides cracks and splits in the hose, and you don't know there is an issue until the engine bay is on fire.

Zach
Artfrombama
I replaced all the pressure hose with the Gates Barricade hose after I recovered from the price of $.99 an inch
Low pressure return hose got the standard stuff, and yes I have a fire extinguisher.

EDIT-On my other car I used the Barricade hose as well along with the correct hose clamps, I have an occasional leak and have to re-tighten the clamps. Note to self, always position clamps where they can be easily tightened.
Geezer914
I did a post a while back about making fuel injector elbows using Barricade fuel line. Take a 6" piece and bend it 180°, dip in a pot of boiling water for 3 minutes. Rince under cool water and the hose will hold an almost 90° bend. Trim to fit.
Chaznaster
QUOTE(live free & drive @ Feb 26 2024, 09:22 PM) *

Take a five gallon gas can to the Sterling MA airport on a Saturday morning - you can get real gas there. Do not drive up to the pump - go inside and ask if you can fill your can. Extra points if you drive your 914 there as the guy is a 914 fan.

Buy your hose and fittings from Belmetric in Tyngsboro - not far from you either:

https://belmetric.com/hose/gasoline/

Thanks - I'll have to check that out when the salt is off the roads ... I use Belmetric for hardware. Did not know they carry fuel hose.
Geezer914
Bellmetric is Cohline hose, the same hose he had issues with. Gates Barricade at NAPA.
Chaznaster
This is super helpful. Thanks to all.

Had no idea that the EtOH sinks to the bottom. The damage was at the lowest point so that makes sense. I might need to reinstate the return line to keep things mixed.

I'll try the 5/16" R9 But $0.99 per inch for the Barricade stuff?? Ouch. That said, not bursting into flames has been a longtime goal of mine ...

This site already schooled me on not using the worm drive clamps. They came out on the first round.

Had not thought of running the carbs dry. I do that with my garden machines every winter to avoid varnish buildup. Might be good practice when the car is to sit for a while.

Oh, and I carry an extinguisher at all times, too. Have heard too many horror stories.
Chaznaster
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Feb 27 2024, 12:16 PM) *

I did a post a while back about making fuel injector elbows using Barricade fuel line. Take a 6" piece and bend it 180°, dip in a pot of boiling water for 3 minutes. Rince under cool water and the hose will hold an almost 90° bend. Trim to fit.

That's cool.
worn
QUOTE(Artfrombama @ Feb 27 2024, 08:33 AM) *

I replaced all the pressure hose with the Gates Barricade hose after I recovered from the price of $.99 an inch
Low pressure return hose got the standard stuff, and yes I have a fire extinguisher.

EDIT-On my other car I used the Barricade hose as well along with the correct hose clamps, I have an occasional leak and have to re-tighten the clamps. Note to self, always position clamps where they can be easily tightened.

An er, uhhhm, a gasp, per Inch?! Oh my goodness gracious.
technicalninja
This might be a more frugal way to buy it.

https://www.amazon.com/Gates-27349-Barricad...customerReviews

I believe that is a 15' long piece.
33 cents per inch this way.
Chaznaster
Update:

I looked around and found that Gates Barricade has a low pressure line with the same SAE 30R14 rating as their high pressure. It's listed with the same EtOH resistance, as well. Part number L27314.

The options are $20+ for 2 feet (ugh) or $44 for 25 feet (Amazon). I just cannot bring myself to get the 2 footer.

Thinking about getting the 25ft and either reselling half of it or passing it out to any local teeners who are interested ...
Chris914n6
$4.50 ft at oreillys for the 50 psi. Plus it's not as stiff as the 225 psi.
ChrisFoley
I sell Gates Barricade in 5 and 10 ft lengths. Not as cheap as from bulk sources but convenient to get along with the ss hard lines I make.
Geezer914
Barricade may be expensive, but you have peace of mind your 914 won't go up in flames. Besides, it's not like you are changing your fuel lines every year.
76-914
I've been running Gates Barricade for several years and yes you need to go back and re-tighten the hose clamps every 2-4 years. Good stuff/won't kink. Goodyear makes/made a good product also but it is very susceptible to kinking when bent. beerchug.gif
Chaznaster
I am definitely going with the Gates Barricade low pressure. My fuel pump and filter are in the frunk so need more than 5'. Still cannot bring myself to buy 10 feet for the same price as 25 so going bulk on principle wacko.gif . I have a few cars here that can use it and some friends who don't know yet that they need it.

@ChrisFoley - I do use your stainless for the tunnel. Great product!
Chris914n6
You might want to consider plastic fuel line if you need that much. Dorman sells it. I'll have to look up part# later. You can get fittings that are designed for it. It made sense for me because of the motor swap, and even though being a 75 it came with the better tunnel lines, it's still old and I'd feel better with new.
MikeM
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 26 2024, 07:39 PM) *

Agree!

Also Northern Foreign Autoparts in Nashua stocks the right hose.

Can’t recall the places near you…it’s been 25 or more years since I lived down there…..
Maybe Maynard, or Acton has a decent autoparts place still??

Bell metric is for sure a place to know, and shop.

What I learned.
With carbs, it’s better (easier) to have a fuel shutoff before the carbs.
Park car, turn off shutoff, let idle till it dies.
This removes the fuel from the carbs and you won’t need to clean them as often.
Turn on, wait till fuel pump tone changes, the carb bowls are full.
Then crank.

Hello...I like this idea of a fuel shutoff valve. This might stop my percolating problem on hot days!! I wonder how long it would take to drain the carbs at idle?
Thanks.
Artfrombama
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Feb 27 2024, 11:49 PM) *

$4.50 ft at oreillys for the 50 psi. Plus it's not as stiff as the 225 psi.

I looked at the “premium” fuel hose at auto zone, labeled power steering cooler hose on the box. Uh,no thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.