Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1971 Porsche 914 - Porsche Color Code 7210 - Signal Yellow
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
Blown59

I purchased this car to be used as a parts car, but after some research (and some still pending), everything is leading to this being an original car. Chassis/engine/trans and custom Signal Yellow paint. Not sure of official numbers yet, but hoping this is a one of one car....

I buy my car to build and modify to my liking. I purchased a numbers matching '69 912 back in 2016, which I restored, but I dont like feeling like I have to keep it all original. I want to customize and do to the car what suits me. That being said, I completely respect and feel some cars should be saved and built as originals, and this is one of them.

This car has front end damage to the passenger front and it affected the headlight bucket, front portion of the wheel well (shock tower seems to be okay). Hell hole is in surprisingly good shape. The longs have not been exposed as they still retain the original sill plates and rocker covers with original plastic rivets which I dont want to remove. The next caretaker can do that.

Feel free to message for additional photos or information...

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
BillJ
You should take the rockers off to show condition. And a pic of the hell hole.

And forum requires a price. Looks.like a worthy car to restore
Blown59
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

As soon as I get the rest of my images resized, I will add them to this thread.
JeffBowlsby
Thanks for your role in saving this one.
Blown59
QUOTE(BillJ @ Feb 29 2024, 04:36 PM) *

I have pics of the hell hole, just have to get them resized and uploaded. I have about 20 more pics. If anyone is interested, it might be easier to email them in full resolution??
fiacra
QUOTE(Blown59 @ Feb 29 2024, 02:40 PM) *

QUOTE(BillJ @ Feb 29 2024, 04:36 PM) *

I have pics of the hell hole, just have to get them resized and uploaded. I have about 20 more pics. If anyone is interested, it might be easier to email them in full resolution??

Pretty easy to get a free dropbox account, put all the photos in a folder, then create a clickable link to access the folder. Easy to do and it lets you share literally hundreds of photos if you wish.
Blown59
Is there something Im missing? What is preventing this seemingly rare and unique car from selling? Please, enlighten me...

I would really like to clear up the garage space and recoup funds to advance my other project.
sixaddict
Don’t kill the messenger but I would say price is your basic indicator.
I don’t see the color as being that much of a value builder plus based on collision damage this is a major project.
Obviously this is my opinion which could be off base ……..if you don’t get action either something isn’t that much in demand OR the price is off or both.
burton73
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Mar 14 2024, 08:13 AM) *

Don’t kill the messenger but I would say price is your basic indicator.
I don’t see the color as being that much of a value builder plus based on collision damage this is a major project.
Obviously this is my opinion which could be off base ……..if you don’t get action either something isn’t that much in demand OR the price is off or both.

I agree with @SIXADDICT Color on this car means nothing. Now if it was a very cool paint to match color you may have had something but the yellow is IMHO not as good as the cannery yellow stock yellow. It is all about condition and this car need a full restoration

You need more pictures, and the price needs to be much lower. Try $2,000 or $3,000. OBO And see if you can get a buyer. It looks like the hell hole is good but you need pictures of the bottom of car in the to see if the right long area are comprised. Remove the right rocker cover and get good pictures.

The amount of body work needed to restore this car just for the passenger side front put this out of reach to anyone that wants to restore it and be made whole in the deal. You have a second car shown so you know a bit abought these cars.

The truth is this car does not pencell out.

You asked,

Best Bob B

targa72e
I second. Based on the condition of the rest of the car there is no reason not to remove the rockers as that can be on of the most expensive areas to fix. This is a total restoration and the more of the ugly you share the more likely someone it to decide to restore it as they can identify how much work needs to be done. More pics are always good and price is probably too high based on condition.

john
Blown59
I can appreciate each one of those replies.

Yes, I know a fair bit about these cars. I am not an expert by any means. I do know this is a rare-ish and extremely unique car/color combo and the color badging is also quite unique. My struggle is with valuation. I would presume this combo would provide a premium of some degree. I figure if on a concours level, maybe 10-15% over a "common" car. But again, this is just my speculation.

I'm not looking to flip this for any sort of grand slam deal. Because I struggle with valuation and had to provide a price, I provided one... $12,345 or best offer. I hoped interested parties could read through the price and just make me an offer. Fair deals are always the ones where a buyer and seller both walk away happy and pleased.

I bought this for a parts car, but uncovering the uniqueness, I cannot in good conscience part this out. I agree with the sediments of a lot of commenters this should be saved. I want to see it saved. But it's not my type of project.

All this being said, I figured interested parties would contact me and make some offers. I'll see if I can get down to the garage later today or tomorrow and pop the passenger rocker cover for some pics.

So as for the price, I'm not greedy... I want to be fair, but don't really know what fair is.
Front yard mechanic
Drop the one
Craigers17
I think it's just that your asking price is a little confusing. I'm not a buyer, but I think others might be confused as to whether your "12345" price is your initial "ask", as in roughly $12.5K? Or.....are you merely using those numbers as a place holder like when someone puts 999,999 in the odometer reading slot when the mileage is unknown, and then waiting for offers?
Blown59
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Mar 15 2024, 04:35 PM) *

I think it's just that your asking price is a little confusing. I'm not a buyer, but I think others might be confused as to whether your "12345" price is your initial "ask", as in roughly $12.5K? Or.....are you merely using those numbers as a place holder like when someone puts 999,999 in the odometer reading slot when the mileage is unknown, and then waiting for offers?

Let's call it the placeholder as you put it. I'm not asking 12k and change. I assumed people would understand that with the conservative number sequence. I was merely trying to meet a price requirement without really specifying a price in hopes of "offers" helping me value the car.
BillJ
It needs a lot of work. What is your bottom number.
Blown59
QUOTE(BillJ @ Mar 15 2024, 09:52 PM) *

5k tops. It needs a lot of work.

I'm glad you threw that number out... Now that you broke the ice, I was thinking $6k, was about where I wanted to be. I now don't feel like I was ridiculously high or low.

Blown59
Okie dokie fellas, heres the skinny on the passenger long and jack point

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Blown59
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

I was pleasantly surprised to see things in this condition. Things didnt look too bad upon my inital inspection with the cover in place, but look way better than I imagined upon removal
FourBlades

It is a neat car in not too bad condition as these go.

Someone who is willing to spend the time and $$$ on the resto will want it eventually.

John
rick 918-S
I am not allowed to purchase anymore cars. screwy.gif slap.gif If you want an idea how much work it is to fix that damage your looking at about 10k to square it up, repair the wheelhouse, find and purchase a early front panel and section it in. No other repairs or paint work. Add in a Repop fender that is supposed to be available now for something like 2k.
budk
It needs $30k of restoration to become a $20k car.
T.Rick6
I'm not a buyer but I spot fiberglass over the hell hole confused24.gif
Blown59
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 18 2024, 09:21 PM) *

I am not allowed to purchase anymore cars. screwy.gif slap.gif If you want an idea how much work it is to fix that damage your looking at about 10k to square it up, repair the wheelhouse, find and purchase a early front panel and section it in. No other repairs or paint work. Add in a Repop fender that is supposed to be available now for something like 2k.

QUOTE(budk @ Mar 19 2024, 06:20 AM) *

I have to disagree with both comments on repair value and worth. This may be in your experience, but when a parts/donor car can be had, costs are significantly reduced. Costs would only be that high if your "hire" someone to do it. Most of us here who would restore this, will probably do 70-100% of the work ourselves and reduce those costs substancially.

And done correctly, this is every bit of a $40-60k car depending on market, location, love for signal yellow and maybe a little alcohol involvement.
Blown59
QUOTE(T.Rick6 @ Mar 19 2024, 09:34 AM) *

Can you point out what youre seeing? Might I need to get my eyes examined or look further?
T.Rick6
Sure, look at pic #22, second pic of the hell hole, just to the right of the forward fuel line you'll see a horz line of the fiberglass sheet. Bet if you took a magnet to it, no sticky. Not trying to dog your add, just something I noticed. My 02C, you have a nice parts car. 10-15 k on the front end fix to do it correct, another 5-10k to fix the rust you can't see (it's there, comes from the factory that way) To me the front end damage makes it BER.

beerchug.gif Todd
Dlee6205
It does appear to have some fiberglass in the hell hole area. You can see the cross-hatching of the fiberglass mat.

Still a great car to restore though. If I was any closer I would be very tempted.

Click to view attachment

QUOTE(Blown59 @ Mar 19 2024, 01:16 PM) *

QUOTE(T.Rick6 @ Mar 19 2024, 09:34 AM) *

Can you point out what youre seeing? Might I need to get my eyes examined or look further?

mikea100
Zoomed inClick to view attachment
Blown59
QUOTE(mikea100 @ Mar 19 2024, 02:37 PM) *

That does appear to be glasses in... I just vacuumed all the pine needles and acorns out and took pics. Initial appearance presented itself well and I didn't thought it looked solid and original. After taking a look this morning, I was able to confirm that has in fact been repaired with fiberglass.

Due to this discovery, I will adjust the cars price.

$4500 OBO
Blown59
New Price

$3200 OBO

nivekdodge
QUOTE(Blown59 @ Apr 3 2024, 04:21 PM) *

New Price

$3200 OBO

Is that a side shift or tail?
Kevin
mepstein
QUOTE(budk @ Mar 19 2024, 07:20 AM) *

And that's doing all the work (including paint) yourself.
Cairo94507
@nivekdodge - If stock, it would be a tail-shifter transaxle. beerchug.gif
Blown59
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Apr 13 2024, 08:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Blown59 @ Apr 3 2024, 04:21 PM) *

New Price

$3200 OBO

Is that a side shift or tail?
Kevin

Tail
Blown59
Now $2500 OBO

If this doesn't sell at this price in the next week, I will be dismantling and scavenging what I want from this car. If it was worth saving as many stated and believed, they would have acquired it for that purpose.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.