Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I Need An Electrical Guru!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenshapiro2002
I have a 1976 Porscharu that I’ve only owned a few months. I noticed immediately that whenever I used the turn signals, the red brake light would also glow. I knew right away that this was indicative of some gremlin, but it really didn’t bother me so I’ve ignored it. Today when I went to drive her, I have no turn signals and I’ve also lost every function in the tech gauge and the left gauge ( fuel, temp. Etc. ). I’m a moron when it comes to electrical but I think I’ve figured out that there aren’t any fuses involved here… maybe a relay? And no sense talking to Check out the voltage anywhere as it’s not going to happen, lol. So hopefully it’s an obvious relay somebody can point me to that I can swap out. Help?
mepstein
I’m no guru or even knowledgeable but checking grounds is always a go-to at our shop.
VaccaRabite
Grounds and probably a fuse. Look at the fuse panel and see if anything has popped.

Zach
windforfun
Hmmm...

Check the connections at the battery & also the chassis ground connections. How do the fuses look? They're under the steering wheel.
kenshapiro2002
QUOTE(windforfun @ Mar 7 2024, 04:34 PM) *

Hmmm...

Check the connections at the battery & also the chassis ground connections. How do the fuses look? They're under the steering wheel.

I looked at a diagram of the fuse box, and it didn’t seem like anything in there with affect the instruments, but let me go check… There’s no telling with somebody did in the past 48 years, right?
technicalninja
It's possible to have a crossed filament in a bulb.

I'd pull the multi-filament bulbs before I did a bunch of diag.

Multifilament bulbs have 2 terminals on the bottom.

Drove me batshit crazy one time...

kenshapiro2002
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Mar 7 2024, 04:38 PM) *

Hmmm...

I looked at a diagram of the fuse box, and it didn’t seem like anything in there with affect the instruments, but let me go check… There’s no telling with somebody did in the past 48 years, right?

Head hung down.. fourth fuse in from the right side, an eight amp, was blown. None of the local FLAPS had any of those torpedo fuses, but Jeff Bezos is sending me an assortment. That’ll be here tomorrow. I slapped a 16 amp in there just to see if that was the problem… It was. Thanks guys. Diagram says that fuse is for the right side low beam!😂
dr914@autoatlanta.com
make sure that the alternator is charging the battery, replace the turn signal relay, and as stated previously clean and reattach the red wires on the positive post of the battery

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Mar 7 2024, 01:24 PM) *

I have a 1976 Porscharu that I’ve only owned a few months. I noticed immediately that whenever I used the turn signals, the red brake light would also glow. I knew right away that this was indicative of some gremlin, but it really didn’t bother me so I’ve ignored it. Today when I went to drive her, I have no turn signals and I’ve also lost every function in the tech gauge and the left gauge ( fuel, temp. Etc. ). I’m a moron when it comes to electrical but I think I’ve figured out that there aren’t any fuses involved here… maybe a relay? And no sense talking to Check out the voltage anywhere as it’s not going to happen, lol. So hopefully it’s an obvious relay somebody can point me to that I can swap out. Help?

Cairo94507
Cleaning the light bulb sockets sure couldn't hurt. beerchug.gif
mate914
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Mar 7 2024, 05:11 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Mar 7 2024, 04:38 PM) *

Hmmm...

Head hung down.. fourth fuse in from the right side, an eight amp, was blown. None of the local FLAPS had any of those torpedo fuses, but Jeff Bezos is sending me an assortment. That’ll be here tomorrow. I slapped a 16 amp in there just to see if that was the problem… It was. Thanks guys. Diagram says that fuse is for the right side low beam!������

Buy a cheap volt meter and learn two things Ohms and DC voltage. Also try not to kick the fuses out while getting into car...like me...
Matt flag.gif
Geezer914
Glad it was something simple. Electric problems in old cars can be a nightmare.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.