Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need gauge lights and HELP!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
second wind
Hello again gang.....I replaced my speedometer cable and after closing up the job my dimmer switch would pin the temp and gas gauges to the right....some sort of snafu I guess....some wire or something loose. I did find a loose blue and black wire that looks like it belongs to one of the little lights in the speedo....I have no idea of how to re-attach the wire?? Then looking behind the tach for a loose wire I broke off another wire going to the one of the lights in the speedo....my hands are way too big for this kind of work.....now I guess I need some replacement lights unless I can repair the existing units....plus finding out why my dimmer switch is affecting the other gauges....sheesh....anyway please send me some kind advice and instructions on how not to go crazy....which may be too late at this point....speedo works nice though!!
Thank you very much,
gg
76-914
Pull your gauges out from the gauge holder. Then you will have room to replace/repair light connections. It helps if you remove the steering wheel too. You'll need to disconnect the speedo cable and trip odometer cable before you can get the speedometer pulled. If you try to pull the gauge cluster out with the gauges still mounted it will be a PITA accessing the back of the gauges. Remove and clean the 3 rubber mounting rings while you're in there. Once the rubber rings are removed from the gauges or panel you can remove the panel and the gauges will slip through the panel still connected to the wiring. Don't forget to remove the neg battery post before doing any of this. This process will give you enough slack to place the gauge upon the top of your dash still connected. beerchug.gif
second wind
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 8 2024, 07:40 PM) *

Pull your gauges out from the gauge holder. Then you will have room to replace/repair light connections. It helps if you remove the steering wheel too. You'll need to disconnect the speedo cable and trip odometer cable before you can get the speedometer pulled. If you try to pull the gauge cluster out with the gauges still mounted it will be a PITA accessing the back of the gauges. Remove and clean the 3 rubber mounting rings while you're in there. Once the rubber rings are removed from the gauges or panel you can remove the panel and the gauges will slip through the panel still connected to the wiring. Don't forget to remove the neg battery post before doing any of this. This process will give you enough slack to place the gauge upon the top of your dash still connected. beerchug.gif

Thank you so very much....great first step....nice to have a direction....I was lost so far....one step at a time...thank you so very muxh and I will report back...posting below on WTB to get some replacement gauge lights....don't want to waste time trying to repair the 50 year old light fixtures...there has to be a bunch of them out there....thank you very much!!!
gg
76-914
QUOTE(second wind @ Mar 8 2024, 08:48 PM) *

Thank you so very much....great first step....nice to have a direction....I was lost so far....one step at a time...thank you so very muxh and I will report back...posting below on WTB to get some replacement gauge lights....don't want to waste time trying to repair the 50 year old light fixtures...there has to be a bunch of them out there....thank you very much!!!
gg

I've seen 2 styles of gauge lights thus far. One has a male spade built on to it. The other is hard wired. I have a few extra if you need one. I just had mine out last week. The other 2 gauges are hanging below the one in the pic. You may need to reach in from the back to push the gauges out from the rubber seal. Mount the rubber seals back onto the gauges before you push them back onto the panel.
Click to view attachment
second wind
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 9 2024, 06:35 AM) *

QUOTE(second wind @ Mar 8 2024, 08:48 PM) *

gg

I've seen 2 styles of gauge lights thus far. One has a male spade built on to it. The other is hard wired. I have a few extra if you need one. I just had mine out last week. The other 2 gauges are hanging below the one in the pic. You may need to reach in from the back to push the gauges out from the rubber seal. Mount the rubber seals back onto the gauges before you push them back onto the panel.
Click to view attachment

Hello....my name is Greg...please PM me your telephone number so I can send you some pictures of what is going on with my dash lights...thank you very much!
Greg
secondwind
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.