Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: turbo tie rod upgrade
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TINKERGINEERING
I got some turbo tie rods from 914Rubber and I was looking at my steering rack and I was wondering if the previous stock end pieces just need to be screwed off or hammered or what? How do I get these off? Is a special tool needed?
Thanks for your help everybody!
Luke M
The inner tie rod needs to be removed. Get a large wrench to hold the rack and a large prybar/screw driver. Stick prybar or screw driver through inner rod hole and unscrew. Then install new tie rods. Don't forget the thick washers between the inner rod and rack. There is a special wrench to install the new turbo rods but you can also use a thin bike wrench to tighten as well. I do not recall the size but just measure the inner rods square section and buy a wrench from a bike shop that fits.
mepstein
QUOTE(Luke M @ Mar 9 2024, 09:32 PM) *

The inner tie rod needs to be removed. Get a large wrench to hold the rack and a large prybar/screw driver. Stick prybar or screw driver through inner rod hole and unscrew. Then install new tie rods. Don't forget the thick washers between the inner rod and rack. There is a special wrench to install the new turbo rods but you can also use a thin bike wrench to tighten as well. I do not recall the size but just measure the inner rods square section and buy a wrench from a bike shop that fits.

I’m pretty sure it’s 32mm. You can buy from a bike shop or Amazon, eBay, etc.
The eye bolt on the old tie rod will probably take a bit of muscle to remove. A pipe wrench will also fork for removal. The existing brass washer gets tossed and the thick washer used instead.
Mikey914
How long til you need it?
We can do a rebuild and provide with the ends removed biggrin.gif
Mikey914
How long til you need it?
We can do a rebuild and provide with the ends removed biggrin.gif
TINKERGINEERING
Ohh glad to hear this is fairly simple. I didn't want to break anything. We will try this tomorrow morning.
Dad and I Ordered the 32 thin wrench from Amazon. Arrivers tomorrow I hope.
Thnaks for telling us how to do this!
Craigers17
Courtesy of Ian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnuYLbZ89y8...GllIHJvZA%3D%3D
NARP74
Good that you took the rack out. I was doing this same job under the car with very little clearance to work. Had to step away a time or two...
slapshot
I started doing mine yesterday. I used the method in the video to remove the original tie rods off leaving the rack and pinion install and working under the car. It was on real tight and it took some time to break it loose.

The part of the video you want starts at 3:00.

https://www.google.com/search?q=porsche+914...-fWZpXzz38,st:0
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.