Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type 4 Oil plug gasket sizes, types, materials, best or preference?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rrr
I'm doing an oil change on the Sepia 2.0. The oil plug gasket that came off of it was an aluminum one that fit pretty well. I dressed it with a file to possibly re-use it. see pics

I was digging through my drain plug gasket stash and found 2 copper gaskets that fit the plug but I was wondering about orientation (which side up and which side down) if I install them. see pics

I ordered some new oil plug gaskets that are stamped copper, but I think they are way too big in the ID and OD.

What is the correct ID and OD for the drain plug gasket?
Preferred material and type of gasket?
Any other considerations, tips, etc.?

Thanks!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
The gasket on the left looks like it has been used (crushed already) and should be discarded.

The one in the middle looks fine.

The one on the right has been used but may be OK to reuse, not sure.

The gasket is a standard M12 crush washer. The 914 PET calls it "sealing ring C12 x 18". I think that means the ID is 12mm and the OD is 18mm, but I don't know for certain.

--DD
StarBear
Center one is good. No need to reuse crushed plug washer.
913B
I use the middle one with slit facing away from the block.
914rrr
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 12 2024, 12:43 PM) *

The gasket on the left looks like it has been used (crushed already) and should be discarded.

The one in the middle looks fine.

The one on the right has been used but may be OK to reuse, not sure.

The gasket is a standard M12 crush washer. The 914 PET calls it "sealing ring C12 x 18". I think that means the ID is 12mm and the OD is 18mm, but I don't know for certain.

--DD

The one on the left isn't crushed. It actually looks like it has some sort of threads that fit in the grooves on the oil plug. IIRC, they used gaskets like this in aircooled VW oil plug / oil change kits years ago.
914rrr
Here's a side view of the gasket on the left and the gasket that was supposed to fit and doesn't. It's a 14 x 20 x 1.5. See pic for both.

Q: is the gasket for the oil strainer plate plug the same ID as the gasket for the oil drain plug ?

Click to view attachment
michael7810
An alternative is NAPA PN 704-1077. It’s a plastic drain plug gasket that fits well. I used them for 30k miles with no problems
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(914rrr @ Mar 12 2024, 01:14 PM) *

Q: is the gasket for the oil strainer plate plug the same ID as the gasket for the oil drain plug ?

Pretty sure it's the same size.

The gasket does not have to fit tight on the bolt. It gets squeezed between the bolt head and the part that the bolt threads into (in this case, the crankcase).

--DD
technicalninja
I use AC system seal rings for drain plug gaskets all of the time.

These are similar to the aluminum crush ring, but they have a rubber "o-ring" bonded to each side. Find the right ID and they screw onto the drain plug and seal like nothing else in this world.

Never had one leak...

Your FLAPS should have a bunch of these available.

As for direction of an expanded ring (like the one in the middle), I put the flat side toward the bolt head (as long as it has a flat flange) and the curved side towards what I'm screwing the plug into. This is how all spark plugs with a compression ring work.

The compression rings I use ONCE only. The AC seal rings and the normal aluminum crush washers I'll re-use a couple of times until they get a step in them that looks like the aluminum ring in the pictures.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.