Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dansk quality?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
87m491
I just got around to installing a set of new Dansk heat flappers that I sourced late last year. As I went to attach the cable leads and worked the flaps, I noticed one barley retracted at all. Seemed like no return spring pressure.

Upon closer inspection i noticed that hinge pin was trimmed in such a way as to obstruct its opening and closing. The cut/swaged end of the hinge rod did not exit the assembly and was wedged against the flapper body so as to impede its opening and closure.

You'd think a first day quality inspector would have found this.

There was also no "insulation" on the closed side of the flapper to limit any air bypass when closed. There was till some left on my originals that I removed!
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
mepstein
Some Dansk parts are decent, some are junk. It’s just the way reproduction parts are these days.
914Sixer
Reproduction parts are just that. They may be close or similar. Most require some massaging to make them correct. Most of the parts are not plated in the correct zinc color.
campbellcj
I've been satisfied with multiple Dansk products over the years but I did buy a sport muffler once that I had to trim (grind) a bit to properly attach to the car... as you said, should've been an obvious QA reject/rework. The most recent muffler on my car now was perfect right out of the box though.
gereed75
Several years ago I was at Hersey talking with the Stoddard guy. They had just come out with the repo header/heat exchanger for the six made by Dansk. I pointed out that it was missing the tab that bolted into the engine tin mount. He basically said “oh really”. He said he would mention it to Dansk. The next production run had the tab and also fit much better.

My point is these repo parts are a work in progress. Next ones might be better if Dansk gets the word.

Credit them for making these small market repos.

Interesting. Are those flappers powder coated or e- coated?? Either way probably better than the originals that just look like they had a quick shot of enamel.
Lucky9146
I've had very good experience with several Dansk mufflers over the years.
driving.gif white914.jpg
mepstein
The first round of Dansk 914-6 heat exchangers didn’t even fit the engine. They had to recall the whole batch. I remember getting a 911 floor pan for the shop. It was 2 inches off on all the measurements. Garbage.

I appreciate them making the part but I’m befuddled to why they don’t do final checks with knowledgeable people before they put a part into production.
windforfun
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 14 2024, 05:27 PM) *

The first round of Dansk 914-6 heat exchangers didn’t even fit the engine. They had to recall the whole batch. I remember getting a 911 floor pan for the shop. It was 2 inches off on all the measurements. Garbage.

I appreciate them making the part but I’m befuddled to why they don’t do final checks with knowledgeable people before they put a part into production.

I bought a Dansk muffler a few years ago & it was top notch.
r_towle
My $300 gas tank fit great, and the price was great.
I am happy Dansk stepped up to make these parts for our cars.
I think constructive communication, being nice about it, will only help to make things better for all of us.
Tell them, show them pics, help with the quality .

Rich
KSCarrera
Dansk had a major shakeup a few years ago, and some of the less good parts date back to earlier days and are gradually being superseded. They are one of the few companies I know who are open to input from customers. Also bear in mind that they supply Porsche...
87m491
Hard to say on the coating though I will say it held up to my make it work manipulations. I'd give them more of a pass on newer one offs but they've been supplying flapper diverters for VWs and Porsches for many years.

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Mar 14 2024, 04:13 PM) *

Several years ago I was at Hersey talking with the Stoddard guy. They had just come out with the repo header/heat exchanger for the six made by Dansk. I pointed out that it was missing the tab that bolted into the engine tin mount. He basically said “oh really”. He said he would mention it to Dansk. The next production run had the tab and also fit much better.

My point is these repo parts are a work in progress. Next ones might be better if Dansk gets the word.

Credit them for making these small market repos.

Interesting. Are those flappers powder coated or e- coated?? Either way probably better than the originals that just look like they had a quick shot of enamel.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.