Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear deck lid rack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mate914
Hi all,
One of the original parts that were on Miss Murphy was a rear deck lid carrier. I would like to put that back on, but I’m missing one part. Do any of you know the make and or a source for said such part?
MattClick to view attachment
Superhawk996
If your luggage doesn’t get wet out on the rack, all those holes in the lid ought to help ensure the stuff inside the trunk gets wet too! blink.gif

I don’t have a source for you, suspect you will have to find same model rack that is used and being parted out. Maybe a needle in a haystack?

Possible to use aluminum bar stock and cut, mill, drill, polish. Won’t match chrome 100% but could pass at 10 feet? I guess you could go the last bit and plate up with chrome but even then, new chrome looks different than old chrome with patina.

Not much help, just tossing out ideas. confused24.gif
brant
Agree
Not likely to be parts available

Probably buy a complete used rack. Even different brand
Or maybe you get lucky and find one of the same brand
Shivers
Hard to see how they are constructed and from what but if it were me, and I was married to that rack, I'd first take one of those to an appropirate shop, if it is just broke sheetmetal take it to a sheetletal fabricator, if it is machined, well that is a no brainer. And for the wood a finish carpenter or furniture maker could make a close clone insert, but matching grain and color can be tough sometimes. But that is what they do.
Steve
I would replace it with the more popular amco luggage rack. You can always plug the holes.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/404446080850?_trkp...5.c101506.m1851
TJB/914
Mate914

This is my trunk rack. They don't make them anymore.
Go to a hardware type store & fabricate something that looks similar.
Tom
mate914
Thanks all,
I will look into boat accessory company's. Murphy has front oil tank and no room
for luggage. Rear trunk gets way to hot, I can keep pizzas hot.
This side show will have to wait for #597 to be road legal...
Matt
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(mate914 @ Mar 16 2024, 09:10 PM) *

Murphy has front oil tank and no room
Matt

I hear you on the rear trunk getting warm. If you have the muffler heat shield off the car, put it back in and it helps that situation greatly. I took the shield off my green car when I was younger and dumber and eventually I'll cut one off a parts car and weld it back into place on mine. Right now only heat tolerant stuff goes in the back of my 914.

Zach
r_towle
QUOTE(mate914 @ Mar 16 2024, 09:10 PM) *

Thanks all,
I will look into boat accessory company's. Murphy has front oil tank and no room
This side show will have to wait for #597 to be road legal...
Matt

I think you will need to make something.

I might suggest looking at junk boat yards...they tend to strip all the chrome and stainless to resell.

OR
It does look like a drawer slide size...might work with some hand work.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.