Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Emergency Road Kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
I spoke with several guys at the WCC2005 about putting together a 914 Emergency road kit. One attendee lost his accelerator cable and was stranded, but for another guy who had an extra cable...but what if a cable was not available? Like what FLAPS carries some of the special parts we need to keep on the road? So I came up with a few things I consider critical to carry that will hopefully keep me roadworthy especially when on long trips.

This is not intended to cover every possible breakdown condition, somethings just cannot be avoided, but hopefully this covers at least the easy stuff. I don't want to include common things that are available from most anywhere/anytime...batteries-tires-oil...but what else should I add? What should be differnet for the 914/6 and engine swap guys - Porscharu-914V8...post your lists here

*Throttle cable
*Clutch cable
*Alternator belt
*Valve cover gaskets
*2 round relays
*Alternator dash light bulb
*8A, 16A and a 25A fuses (several)
*Lugbolt socket/breaker bar
*Latex gloves and rag
*MPS
*4 flares
*Keyring LED flashlight
*Halon fire extinguisher
*Metric allen wrenches
*Adjustable wrench
*Screwdrivers-flat and phillips
*Small mirror (for center tunnel cables)
*Canvas carry bag
bd1308
if i may man add something:

I believe the 10mm, 13mm and 8mm wrenches are pretty critical too....

I also carry around an extra set of points, a parts dizzy and a condensor...
echocanyons
Looks good Jeff

I dunno what else maybe a fuel filter?
scotty914
i carry a small butune powered soldering iron, some wire, solder and heat shrink. i have used the soldering iron raod side 3 times, granted only one was a break down/ non running
SirAndy
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Aug 21 2005, 09:54 PM)
I also carry around an extra set of points, a parts dizzy and a condensor...

agree.gif i too carry a complete dizzy with me. plus all the tools one could possibly need (and a few more) ...

some more schtuff:

- AAA card
- brads cell number
- can of fix-a-flat
- a few different size hoses + clamps
- a roll of electrical wire & tape, crimp-tool and connectors
- volt-meter
- first-aid kit
- disposable camera (in case you need to take pics of an accident etc.)

beerchug.gif Andy

PS: scott, i tought for sure you'd have a portable welder on your list! biggrin.gif
scotty914
i almost carried my portable oxy rig to the wcc, but then i figured there was a HD or Lowes pretty much anywhere... just ask doug
type47
the jam nuts on my valve adjust screws are 14mm. how about adding a stubby 14mm open end/box end wrench?
JohnB
Nice list, Jeff!
rhodyguy
a small selection of zip ties and some side cutters. al and i both discovered that that 2 part epoxy putty comes in handy. for guys with carbs, a can of compressed air works better than blowing debris out of the jets with your mouth.

k
bd1308
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Aug 21 2005, 11:35 PM)
i carry a small butune powered soldering iron, some wire, solder and heat shrink. i have used the soldering iron raod side 3 times, granted only one was a break down/ non running

i'm sorry for the hi-jack.....

do you like the butane iron....does it work?

I wanted one and nobody knows about them...
Eric_Shea
What should be differnet for the 914/6 and engine swap guys - Porscharu-914V8...post your lists here

*Throttle cable
*Clutch cable
*Alternator belt (may be the same?)
*Valve cover gaskets
*2 round relays
*Alternator dash light bulb
*8A, 16A and a 25A fuses (several)
*Lugbolt socket/breaker bar
*Latex gloves and rag
* Bosch Dizzy when the Marelli finally gives up.
*4 flares
*Keyring LED flashlight
*Halon fire extinguisher
*Metric allen wrenches
*Adjustable wrench
*Screwdrivers-flat and phillips
*Small mirror (for center tunnel cables)
*Canvas carry bag

Are you going to put these together so people can purchase them?
Aaron Cox
can of carb/brake cleaner...
AeroKroil penetrating lube...
anthony
I would add a set of mechanic's coveralls in case you have to crawl on the ground on the side of the road, a set of metric open ended wrenches, and a set of metric sockets.
SGB
spark plug wrench
URY914
I remember back in an old VW&Porsche mag articale they had a list of stuff a guy took on a trip to Africa. He took a cylinder head with him. ohmy.gif

Paul
scotty914
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Aug 22 2005, 08:30 AM)
do you like the butane iron....does it work?

I wanted one and nobody knows about them...

britt it works great as long as you do a few things, one use a good one, and use electronics grade silver solder.

this is the bestone you can really get, get the professional. it will cost about 80 bucks, but it comes with a bunch of different tip sizes and can be turned up and down for needed heat level. it also comes with things like a torch nozzle, and a hot knife
736conver
The plastic ignition switch.
I was replacing my turn signal switch and figured while I was in there I would replace my ignition switch. Pulled it out and it was already cracked. It was just a matter of time before it failed completely.
My buddy got stranded once because of a broken switch.
olav

I carry an ohm meter. Just a small one to check electrical issues.

My crack fire sensor gave up and I used an ohm meter to trouble shoot the problem. I carry extra sensors too.

I also carry a socket set thats pretty small that fits on my spare tire plus a small tool kit with all the various spares mentioned above and more. (I guess I can trim it down)

I have a mirror which is pretty handy.

I also carry a spare key that is hidden and accessible in case the doors some how lock with my main key in the ignition. smile.gif
bd1308
concerning the key issue, i use the coat-hanger trick.....

works everytime, and i keep a coat-hanger in my rear trunk...

also good for chasing bolts and grabbing pesky washers.
Brando
Best kit so far:

- $20 2-ton jack, pair of jack stands and creeper combo
- set of Points
- Accelerator and clutch cable.
- 4 quarts of oil
- 150pc tool kit
- breaker bar and 17mm socket with 2" extension
- 1 bottle of brake fluid.
- can of engine degreaser
- cant of carb cleaner or brake cleaner

last but most important:

- AAA card.

IMHO If it's something you can't fix with your jack and tool kit, it's time to have to towed home. Nobody wants to do 5-hour repairs on the side of the road, and nobody wants one trunk completely full of "just in case" tools and parts.
Jamie
Y'all forgot the most important item of all- a valid credit card!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.