Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT flares w/only 205's on 7" rims, funky looking?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Andy came over again today with his GT flared 914 and it got to me thinking about throwing some 'glass flares on my car since I need to repaint the car and fix the rear qtr panel....only problem is that I have new rims and tires that might look "odd" under the flares, even with spacers to move them out I'm thinking they might be too skinny.

Anyone in the SF Bay Area have GT flares and 4-lug suspension that'll let me throw my rims and tires on for test fitting??? biggrin.gif

these are the rims in question:
user posted image
Aaron Cox
have em widened smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Aug 21 2005, 09:57 PM)
have em widened smile.gif

agree.gif yeah, make 'em 8" and 9" and get some outer "lip" on them. that would look cool!

of course, they probably can only widem them on the inside ...
wink.gif Andy
Trekkor
mount 225's and use spacers clap.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (trekkor @ Aug 21 2005, 10:13 PM)

tires have less than 100 miles on them, don't want to take a total bath on 'em.....

I'd "have" to use spacers for sure, I know in the front they wouldn't look too bad, it's just the rear of the car might look odd with such skinny tires.....

too bad they don't have .5 GT flares, you know, so that they only come out half as much as normal, that might be the trick, hahahaha

Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 21 2005, 10:26 PM)
QUOTE (trekkor @ Aug 21 2005, 10:13 PM)

tires have less than 100 miles on them, don't want to take a total bath on 'em.....

I'd "have" to use spacers for sure, I know in the front they wouldn't look too bad, it's just the rear of the car might look odd with such skinny tires.....

too bad they don't have .5 GT flares, you know, so that they only come out half as much as normal, that might be the trick, hahahaha

start sectioning some fiberglass.... biggrin.gif
Trekkor
What tires are on the rims now? idea.gif

I like the metal SC flares.

KT
Mueller
QUOTE (trekkor @ Aug 21 2005, 10:44 PM)
What tires are on the rims now? idea.gif

I like the metal SC flares.

KT

Yokohama AVS ES100's...205-40's

for the SC flares, I'd have to see a car done "correctly", as in the fronts done as well, I think stock front fenders and SC and GT flared rear fenders look goofy wacko.gif
Trekkor
I think stock front fenders and SC and GT flared rear fenders look goofy

Shhhh... Gwen might be listening unsure.gif

KT
Mueller
well....I just squezzed the trigger for a set of 4 flares, eBay specials.....delivered to my door for less than $50 each smile.gif

at that price, no need to ask what material, hahahahaha

Mark D, going to help me install these wacko.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 21 2005, 11:57 PM)
Mark D, going to help me install these wacko.gif

i'd say pop-rivets should do the trick for now ...

smash.gif Andy
redshift
They won't fit, besides, you won't have them 10 minutes, when you decide you have a way to make them better...

wink.gif

M
jonwatts
Mike, for you, in all seriousness, I have to say don't do it. A paint job is a lot of work, you already have 1 fender that needs work, no need adding 3 more. And I didn't think the GT flares did much for you. Isn't this the look you love?

user posted image

Don't turn your car into something you don't like. And will it be ready for the 2006 WCC?
Mueller
I'll have to learn how to park in the garage a little better, that's about an inch of clearance between the 2 cars smile.gif

good speach Jon...almost worked lol2.gif

I did work on my 914 today, did you????
redshift
hijacked.gif

Mike, did you have any success with the Unilite mod?

BTORSBS

smile.gif

M
jonwatts
QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 22 2005, 12:13 AM)
I did work on my 914 today, did you????

Sorta. I moved a huge pile of parts from one side of the garage to the other. Some parts from the green car, some parts from the blue car, some subaru parts. It was a mixed bag kind of day.

And now I'm working on a schedule to see if there's any way I can make the 2006 WCC.

For the record, I'm not trying to talk you into or out of anything; I just want to help you build the car you really want. Remember the roll cage?

Call me this week, we'll do lunch chowtime.gif

Andyrew
Um... mike....

I thought you had a 3+ car garage...

Move that junk over!!! Give the teener some room..

go for the flares... 150 for 4 flares is great. I love that auction that keeps coming up... guess the guy makes them himself.

Dont "widen" the rims. (unless your going to throw some more hp in that car... then theres no need...) besides, I bet it would be expensive.

Just get spacers,
and put 225's on the back, keep the tires for spares.

THats what I would do...

Then in a month, I would buy another set of wheels cus I wanted it wider. (Betcha mine will be for sale if I find a set of 10's and 11's 17 in... biggrin.gif )
Jeroen
my flared 914 came with 7J Fuchs front and rear (205 and 225 tires resp)
fronts had 21mm spacer, rears 35mm

test fit the f/g flares, sand 'em, paint 'em (contrasting color?) and poprivet 'em on to that puppy!
McMark
MIKE! I just went out to work on the SIX and it hit me... It's got GT flares. And it's got 4 lug suspension on it (for now, nobody jump my case). Let me know when you're coming to test your wheels. wink.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (McMark @ Aug 22 2005, 10:56 AM)
MIKE! I just went out to work on the SIX and it hit me... It's got GT flares. And it's got 4 lug suspension on it (for now, nobody jump my case). Let me know when you're coming to test your wheels. wink.gif

cool....I'll try for next week...if I remember, I'll bring the suspension for the /6......time to PM Mike P about the epoxy...
Eric_Shea
Mike... in 2015 there will be a new style anywhoooo so just wait w00t.gif
Mueller
That was quick...got these today...quality seem good, nice and light as well....

Jeroen
where'd you get 'em?
and whats up with your avatar?
Mueller
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Aug 25 2005, 06:32 PM)
where'd you get 'em?
and whats up with your avatar?

eBay...guy is in So-Cal, looks like he makes other 'glass products as well, mostly for American cars looking at his other sales.... $198 shipped to my door

as the avatar,
cleaning up my hard drive today and found it, hoped B would see it and get the darn site back up, mostly for the fabrication and race car ideas smile.gif
jonwatts
$200 for one fiberglass flare? You got screwed!

bjorn jacobson
Can 8 by 15 inch fuchs be widened? If so who can do it? I have a pair that I want to use for the rear of my car but would like 9" instead of 8". Can't really justify spending two grand on a set of real ones.

Thanks guys,

BJ

P.S. Would like them widened on the outside by the way.
Jeroen
Bjorn,

Don't widen a set of 8J Fuchs
8J's are not that common (although not as rare as 9's) so it would be a shame to have them widened
Have a set of 6's or 7's (more common) widened instead

All IMHO...
jonwatts
As long as we're hijacking mueller's thread...

How much to widen fuchs (ballpark). Can't be cheap or more people would be doing it and real 9's wouldn't cost $2k.

Mueller
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Aug 25 2005, 07:02 PM)
$200 for one fiberglass flare? You got screwed!

are stupid or just retarded...I said I paid $198, not $200 screwy.gif biggrin.gif

for Fuchs..

15" widened only on the inside unless you went 3-piece (know idea who does 15" rims in 3-piece for Fuchs)

16" and 17" Fuchs available from Lindsey Racing...bring cash, they "start" at $564 each
jonwatts
eye em not wee todd it

(going to hell for that one, I'm sure)
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE (bjorn jacobson @ Aug 25 2005, 06:59 PM)
Can 8 by 15 inch fuchs be widened? If so who can do it?
Thanks guys,

BJ

P.S. Would like them widened on the outside by the way.

Kelley's Custom Wheel Service
1725 N. Report Ave
Stockton, Ca 95205

Ph: 209.547.9246
Fx: 209.547.9245
andys
QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 25 2005, 05:43 PM)

eBay...guy is in So-Cal, looks like he makes other 'glass products as well, mostly for American cars looking at his other sales.... $198 shipped to my door

This "guy" apparently has all the MITCOM molds. He gave me a catalog of parts. Guess what I got? The same MITCOM catalog I had back in the '70's! I've done business with him before; he's a very nice fellow.

Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.