Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Monterey Historics
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
neo914-6
It's been years since I've attended but Historic Races still have the intimate exposure to the cars, owners, and drivers...

Ok, so you had to wait in line to get a few seconds with someone like Jim Hall...

Sorry for not hooking up with anyone, I was really pushed for time in the afternoon. Plus I am so out of shape walking up the hills was a challenge. laugh.gif I did manage to find Pat's campsite (I think) but no one was there. If you're missing a Pilsner...
neo914-6
featured marque, Chaparral
neo914-6
Didn't see the Altec Lansing, but the Cerwin Vega was there
neo914-6
on the track, sorry no zoom...
neo914-6
Nice Pooper...
neo914-6
history, kicked 550's ass...
neo914-6
In the Porsche corral...from NY no less
neo914-6
One from Oregon
neo914-6
Ariel Atom, registered in CA...

Owner said you bring them in unassembled (like older Elises) and he built his for ~$55k.
neo914-6
I have many more pics but mostly of overpowered, beautiful, and rust free cars which may be considered OT on this site... rolleyes.gif

truthfully, it take a lot of time to resize my pics. I need a new computer with more than Win98 ohmy.gif
redshift
Nice pics..

You need Win98... it's fine... you need to get a good graphics proggy, and learn about the batch functions..

smile.gif

Poopers are 'pool man'...

M
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Neo914-6 @ Aug 22 2005, 03:18 AM)

IIRC, same car. it was campaigned in Cerwin-Vega livery in its later years.
maf914
QUOTE (Neo914-6 @ Aug 21 2005, 11:17 PM)
featured marque, Chaparral

I saw most of the Chaparral collection at the Amelia Island Concours a couple of years ago. The 2E and 2C in the photo were there, along with a front engine Mk1, the 2D coupe, 2F coupe, the 2J fan car, and the 2K Indy winner. The 2H shown in the photo was not there. I've always been a Chaparral fan so it was great to see them. I was surprised how compact they all were, even the boxy 2J. They seemed to be smaller than today's LMP1 cars like the Audi R8, but there was no modern cars to compare them to so I can't be sure. If I ever get the chance I would like to visit Jim Hall's Chaparral Museum in Midland, Texas.

Thanks for the photos, Neo914-6!
neo914-6
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Aug 22 2005, 02:50 AM)

Rich,

Someone posted a pic of the Black Altec Lansing that was here Fri or Sat. Same car as in the ads with the blonde...

Mike,
Your welcome, I'm glad to have the opportunity to see the Chaparrals. I'm told it's unlikely they will be pulled out of the museum again.

neo914-6
One of me w/914 colors and friends...at El Toro on the Monterey Hwy. Old gas station restaurant, a must see if visiting.

My friend Mike on the left has two stored 914-6's and a '73 911S (3 of 19 personal cars). My friend Norman on the right is my old ACCD classmate, he printed the WCC05 tee shirts, designs Yamaha motorcycles, and has a fully restored BMW 2002. Bunch of car nuts! smile.gif
maf914
QUOTE (Neo914-6 @ Aug 22 2005, 06:53 AM)
I'm told it's unlikely they will be pulled out of the museum again.

That would be too bad, but at least the cars have been saved and restored and can be seen in Texas. A few years ago Jim Hall took a few Chaparrals to England for their big Goodwood Historic event and even did some laps in the 2F coupe. I remember reading about it Classics and Sportscar magazine. I guess that was appropriate since the one victory by the 2F came at Brands Hatch (I think) in 1967.
ConeDodger

Rich,

Someone posted a pic of the Black Altec Lansing that was here Fri or Sat. Same car as in the ads with the blonde...

Mike,
Your welcome, I'm glad to have the opportunity to see the Chaparrals. I'm told it's unlikely they will be pulled out of the museum again.

The pictures of the Altec-Lansing car were themselves archival. The Altec-Lansing car IS now the Cerwin-vega car. Nice guy, a little aloof perhaps but we spent a few minutes talking to him. Car is an original six which has been a race car since arrival on these shores.
The guy wants to buy one of Martin's gas caps. He is not on 914Club, didn't even know it existed. Very nicely prepared car.

Rob
ppickerell
Neo,
Sorry I missed you at camp and we did notice the missing beer! I will post pix later, but was a great 3 days.
olav
QUOTE (Neo914-6 @ Aug 22 2005, 06:59 AM)
One of me w/914 colors and friends...at El Toro on the Monterey Hwy. Old gas station restaurant, a must see if visiting.

My friend Mike on the left has two stored 914-6's and a '73 911S (3 of 19 personal cars). My friend Norman on the right is my old ACCD classmate, he printed the WCC05 tee shirts, designs Yamaha motorcycles, and has a fully restored BMW 2002. Bunch of car nuts! smile.gif

Too bad I missed you.

That's cool about the Yamaha's. I have a 81 RD350 that I ride once in a while. It's liquid cooled and pretty fun.

Would have been fun to chat and show you my car.

I saw the same car in the corral. Nice guy that owns it. Used to be his uncles now he has it and is in process or restoring it. I think he knows about this site but I forgot his login id.

richardL
QUOTE (Neo914-6 @ Aug 22 2005, 07:53 AM)
Someone posted a pic of the Black Altec Lansing that was here Fri or Sat.

Sorry for the confusion - I posted that archive shot. I said, 'this car was there, but painted in the Cerwin-Vega! colors, which is how it last raced in 1979'

I didn't take a camera this year, so I thought am archive shot would avoid the dreaded 'This thread is worthless...' smiley!

Richard
Quilmes
QUOTE (Rotten Robby @ Aug 22 2005, 07:39 AM)

Rich,

Mike,

The pictures of the Altec-Lansing car were themselves archival. The Altec-Lansing car IS now the Cerwin-vega car. Nice guy, a little aloof perhaps but we spent a few minutes talking to him. Car is an original six which has been a race car since arrival on these shores.
The guy wants to buy one of Martin's gas caps. He is not on 914Club, didn't even know it existed. Very nicely prepared car.

Rob

Here is a photo of that 914 racing, I also have the list that was sent to me by the owner when it was for sale.

It is a great car with lot's of History.

Quilmes

HISTORIC PORSCHE 914-6 RACE CAR FOR SALE 1974-1979 IMSA /CAMEL GT

Raced by Jim Cook, John Thomas, Miles Gupton, Rich Mandella

Professionally built by Roger Kyle, Troutman and Barnes; George Britting and Andial.
Stripped to bare chassis and jig built from the ground up as a GT Race Car.
4130 chromemoly rollcage and chassis reinforcement, TIG welded, all chassis/body
joints and seams TIG welded. Lightweight, ultra-strong and easy to drive fast.

ANDIAL 2.4 liter, long stroke, 300+ horsepower, 9000 RPM, twin plug heads, mechanical fuel
injection

Fully adjustable, coilover suspension. Bilstein struts with raised spindles, raised, reinforced strut
towers, adjustable camber. Bilstein rear shocks.
Hurst/Airheart front calipers, 911 fronts on the rear with vented rotors. 911 axles,911 c/v
joints, 911 hubs. Simple, strong, easy to set up.

32 gallon Fuel Safe cell with Kaiser drybreak fuel and overflow valves

Joengbloed wheels, 2-15x15 rear, 2-12x15 front, Centerline wheels 2-15x15 rear,
2-13x15 rear, 2-11x15 front.

In storage, on jackstands since last IMSA race, The Los Angeles Times Grand Prix,
at Riverside Raceway, in 1979.

Refresh as is, or, restore it to Altec colors for Historic events, Porsche Club, SCCA or ?

Complete race and promotion documentation, lap charts, track info, entry lists, results lists,
IMSA yearbooks, advertisements featuring car in People Magazine, Car and Driver, Autoweek, Race
Programs, press coverage, original bill of sale, many work and parts receipts, and much more.
mikeyb33
here's some great photo-editing FREEWARE I found & have been using for years:
IrfanView
Full download is under 1MB.

I used it on my Win'95 machine, and now use it on XP (at home) and Win2K (at work). So presumably it will also work on your Win'98 machine.

You may need to poke around a bit in the menus. Among all the various useful goodies there's a pretty easy-to-use batch processing function in there.

Hope this helps!
mike
p.s. will attach some of my own MHAR photos here, a little later - gotta get back to work now..! type.gif
mikeyb33
OK here's some more pics - a mix from sat. & sun.
Sorry for all the NON 914 content, but I caught some rare stuff including, as mentioned above, some cars that might never come out of their museum again - let alone be driven!

have fun kids -
mikeyb33
..dammit where'd my picture GO?! trying again..
here's a Cadillac raced at Le Mans (in 50's I think) - under the body work it's a Cadillac chassis & engine; it was entered with another, fully stock, yet straaangely this one got massive scrutiny by the LM officials whereas the other didn't -
mikeyb33
The Chaparral "Fan" car (I call it "the vacuum cleaner car") - front view:
mikeyb33
"Fan" car, rear view:
mikeyb33
and how's this, for WAAAYYYYY Off Topic:
mikeyb33
A pair of 911 RSRs - I have to include these because a friend of them got me into the races for FREE:

(heeeeeere, kittykittykitty...)

mikeyb33
aaaaaand last but not least, a photo of a <gasp!> 914!!
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (mikeyb33 @ Aug 23 2005, 01:47 PM)
here's a Cadillac raced at Le Mans (in 50's I think) - under the body work it's a Cadillac chassis & engine...

yup -- that's the Briggs Cunningham car. i last saw it at his museum in (i think it was) Costa Mesa. IIRC they placed very well in that car...
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Aug 23 2005, 10:44 AM)
here's a Cadillac raced at Le Mans (in 50's I think) - under the body work it's a Cadillac chassis & engine...

yup -- that's the Briggs Cunningham car. i last saw it at his museum in (i think it was) Costa Mesa. IIRC they placed very well in that car...

"Le Monstre", I believe. The Cap'n
smg914
QUOTE (mikeyb33 @ Aug 23 2005, 09:54 AM)
A pair of 911 RSRs - I have to include these because a friend of them got me into the races for FREE:

(heeeeeere, kittykittykitty...)

Cool comparison....The IMSA color 914-4 and the IMSA color 911.
URY914
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Aug 23 2005, 10:44 AM)

The Cunningham Museum was in Costa Mesa but was sold to Miles Collier in the late '80's. What is left of the orignal collection is in Naples, Fla. I use to work there (sorta).
maf914
QUOTE (mikeyb33 @ Aug 23 2005, 09:50 AM)
"Fan" car, rear view:

For its first race or two the 2J ran without the shroud on the fan drive belt mechanism. They added the bra latter to improve the sucker fans' performance. I think the fans were driven by a snomobile engine. The fan system gave tremendous downforce which wasn't dependent on car speed, unlike todays ground effects designs. But the fan system was also its weakness and failed in several races. I think the drivers were Jackie Stewart and Vic Elfort.
neo914-6
QUOTE (mikeyb33 @ Aug 22 2005, 11:31 AM)
here's some great photo-editing FREEWARE I found & have been using for years:
IrfanView
Full download is under 1MB.

I used it on my Win'95 machine, and now use it on XP (at home) and Win2K (at work). So presumably it will also work on your Win'98 machine.

You may need to poke around a bit in the menus. Among all the various useful goodies there's a pretty easy-to-use batch processing function in there.

Hope this helps!
mike
p.s. will attach some of my own MHAR photos here, a little later - gotta get back to work now..! type.gif

Thanks Mike, I couldn't find a command for batch resizing but it seems faster than my current program...
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Neo914-6 @ Aug 23 2005, 06:22 PM)
...I couldn't find a command for batch resizing

File | Batch Conversions
check "use advanced Options"
click "Advanced Options"

you'll see the resize parameters there.
neo914-6
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Aug 23 2005, 02:26 PM)
QUOTE (Neo914-6 @ Aug 23 2005, 06:22 PM)
...I couldn't find a command for batch resizing

File | Batch Conversions
check "use advanced Options"
click "Advanced Options"

you'll see the resize parameters there.

figures, the only button I didn't check. screwy.gif I will resize copies to ~7" width...

Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.