Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dash instruments
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
slotty008
I finally found a solution to make the instruments look like new again. The bezels looked awful but I couldn't find the right size. The one I found for the tachometer now is not ideal because it"s a VDO Viewline bezel for boat instruments . It's thicker and I had to paint it semigloss black because it's plastic. But I think it will look good once installed . I'm just waiting for a piece of plexi that I ordered to change the lens, because it was damaged also. One of the PO's didn't do a very good job .
Click to view attachment

The other two bezels will be better because I found the right size and shape in Hungary.(on eB) They are VDO but advertised for a Wartburg but they are exactly the same as the 914's.
Click to view attachment
slotty008
This is what the bezel looked liked before.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Montreal914
Maybe place a WTB add for the tach bezel?

Why use plastic instead of glass for the gauges? confused24.gif
slotty008
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Mar 24 2024, 04:34 PM) *

Maybe place a WTB add for the tach bezel?

Why use plastic instead of glass for the gauges? confused24.gif

The lens inside was also plastic ,probably put in by one of the PO's, but when I took the the left gauge apart I saw it was glass. Offcourse glass is stronger but when it's cold and damp outside, the glass get's fogged from the inside. Don't ask me how it's possible because the left gauge has never been taken apart before.
slotty008
But then I don't live in Calfornia, but in Belgium, and it has been raining here almost every day for the last six months.
Shivers
QUOTE(slotty008 @ Mar 24 2024, 08:51 AM) *

But then I don't live in Calfornia, but in Belgium, and it has been raining here almost every day for the last six months.

I live in California and I could not find just a bezel. So how does N. Hollywood speedo and places like that get them?
Chris914n6
^^ they have the bezels made for them.
Plastic was used in 75-76 instead of glass cuz cheaper.
Pelican used to sell the glass for a nice markup. Glass places can cut you one if you bring the original in for measuring.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.