Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Damaged strut holder?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chaznaster
Hi All.

I was installing struts in the holders to put back on after a full front suspension rebuild when I had a surprise. The new Bilstein B6s fit perfectly in the right housing but not in the other, where they both stopped 2 inches short of the bottom.

When I pulled the old struts the car had one Boge (black) and one KYB (silver). At that time, I figured it was a cheap PO who got free parts or was saving money and replaced only one. I have a different theory now.

The KYB diameter is a few millimeters different than the Boge and the new Bilsteins. It is the only one that fits in the left side holder. Looking down the tube with a flashlight, I see a very slight bulge on one side. I confirmed it by dragging a piece of rod over it and could feel the transition.

My conclusion is that the left holder was hit and bent. The PO (or their mechanic) slapped in the KYB as they could not get the Boge to fit it either, and the extra few mm made the difference.

If I am right about the bend, I just cannot figure out how to bend it back without damaging the tube. I assume I will need a new left holder/knuckle - UGH.

So, is this theory plausible? If so, any recommendations on where to source a replacement? This is a rescue car so does not need to be pristine - just mechanically intact and functional.

EDIT: I am also looking for advice on how to stop the strut from spinning when I put the nut on the top.

Thanks for your thoughts ...
mepstein
Yes, they can get bent from hitting a curb, pothole, etc. Replacement, nor repair is the proper fix. An impact gun will get the nut tight.
bkrantz
When you install the strut in the car, the big dished "washer" that goes on top of the bushing has a tab that fits into a groove in the strut shaft. You can hold the washer so the shaft does not spin while you tighten the nut.
bdstone914
@Chaznaster

What struts? If they are stock 914 it is easier to replace the strut.
Chaznaster
Thanks @mepstein and @bkranz for the info.

And a follow-on question to @bdstone914 (if I understood your comment correctly): Is there an alternative that would fit the bent tube and be on par with the Bilstein B6's? I bought them months ago when starting this project and already installed one. I'd hate to have to eat that cost!
mepstein
A bent strut might be hard to align.
Chaznaster
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 25 2024, 04:25 PM) *

That explains why I could never quite get the camber on that side to land where I wanted ...
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Chaznaster @ Mar 25 2024, 04:17 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 25 2024, 04:25 PM) *

That explains why I could never quite get the camber on that side to land where I wanted ...

Do you need a left or a right? I have plenty. You can have one for the cost of shipping.

Clay
bdstone914
@Chaznaster

What you are calling the strut holder is the strut.
What goes insude is the sturt insert.
My question was if the struts were 914 or if they were changed to 911.
If you have 914 struts what year is the car?
They change mid year 72. You would be best to take up Clay for a free strut but be sure to get the correct type.

ClayPerrine
I don't have 911 struts. Only 914-4 struts.

But I have both early and late. If you have to change both of them, I recommend that you get the later struts that use the wedge pin ball joints. They are much safer.

Chaznaster
Thanks @bdstone914 , for clarifying strut and strut holder. And for the guidance. I have a 74 with 914 struts, so it is the late strut with the tapered bolt for securing the ball joint.

@ClayPerrine - great! I'll DM you.

This forum is really excellent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.