Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much oil are these things supposed to leak?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
meares
seems like my 2L leaks A LOT of oil, to me....3-5 drops on the garage floor everyday
jasons
If it wasn't leaking, I'd be worried. Sounds pretty minimal to me.
bd1308
i get about maybe 13 drops a day on my driveway....

pretty much they *ALL* leak some....

i agree with jasons, if it didnt leak oil, i'd get worried.
meares
yeah...i guess that means it's got oil in it, biggrin.gif right!
jr91472
check your Haynes manual, but IIRC somewhere around 4 quarts (without filter change)

lol2.gif lol2.gif

Joe Ricard
NOT SUPPOSED TO LEAK NONE!
Mine does a little bit from front seal. nary enough to make a drop on the floor.
drive the piss out of it and it might sit in one spot for 3-4 days. no spots.

Just fix them Geesh
BMartin914
I'm in Britt's camp right now. Trying to fix (among other things) as we speak.
bd1308
for your sake, i will tell you that being in my group is NOT a good thing....

b
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Aug 22 2005, 10:08 AM)
for your sake, i will tell you that being in my group is NOT a good thing....

b

agree.gif

I'm in Joe's group... and that's where you want to be... engines should NOT leak!!

that said 3-4 drops isn't going to kill you... but check it daily...
Joe Bob
Worry when it stops leaking.... wink.gif
jasons
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Aug 22 2005, 06:29 AM)
NOT SUPPOSED TO LEAK NONE!

"How much water is a submarine supposed to leak?", Obviously none.
Allan
Mine does'nt leak a drop.

For now...
scotty914
QUOTE (jasons @ Aug 22 2005, 11:00 AM)

well i have some really bad news for ya they do and its a lot more then 3-4 drops a day. at the kind off pressures they see, if it does not have a double seal it pretty much leaks. the escape trunks, which have 2 doors, after about a month there is probably around 20 gallons between the doors
bd1308
yeah...i was thinking the same thing.

have you ever seen U-571?

tap, tap , tap, crunch....pour pour...

they leak alot...
nebreitling
shit, 90% of T-4s leak oil. only if it was bad would i consider fixing it (as i'm doing in mine sad.gif ). consider it 'marking your territory'.
meares
thanks....i do check it daily, and i wouldn't mind getting the leaks fixed, but every time i turn around i'm spending $1500 on the car and it's getting old....and really it's not enough to worry about..OH>>>>>>> besides the oil and brake fluid...what other fluids do i need to check regularly???? where are they and how to check them!!!! is the tranny fliud easily checked? beerchug.gif
maf914
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Aug 22 2005, 09:05 AM)

well i have some really bad news for ya they do and its a lot more then 3-4 drops a day. at the kind off pressures they see, if it does not have a double seal it pretty much leaks. the escape trunks, which have 2 doors, after about a month there is probably around 20 gallons between the doors

That's why they have bildge pumps, like surface ships.

Another thing that leaks real well, but you would assume they didn't, are hydroelectric damns. Depending on the quality of the concrete the internal galleries and drains may weep or may run freely with water passing into the structure. Interesting
jasons
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Aug 22 2005, 09:05 AM)

Thanks, but that was kind of the point. Man nothing gets by you guys. biggrin.gif
bd1308
QUOTE (meares @ Aug 22 2005, 12:03 PM)
thanks....i do check it daily, and i wouldn't mind getting the leaks fixed, but every time i turn around i'm spending $1500 on the car and it's getting old....and really it's not enough to worry about..OH>>>>>>> besides the oil and brake fluid...what other fluids do i need to check regularly???? where are they and how to check them!!!! is the tranny fliud easily checked? beerchug.gif

blinker relay fluid....

http://www.kalecoauto.com/fluids.htm

get some there...

meares
that's the biggest load of horse stromberg.gif i've ever heard!!! just for the hell of it...where is the filler cap?
bd1308
dang, ya got me.....

sigh...
stock93
Make sure to check your throttle fluid. If its low you might not be getting full throttle.

John
tat2dphreak
antifreeze? no, we don't use that
power steering fluid? nope none of that either

I always keep beer on hand... that helps keep the car running
scotty914
yes sub leak water and here is the scary part... they dont even consider it flooding unless its over 440 gpm, because thats what the drain pump pumps. i would say that a 688 class sub, ( i was on ssn 704 uss baltimore RIP ) leaks about 100-200 gallons per day, thru out the ship, which is 363 feet long.
jasons
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Aug 22 2005, 12:42 PM)
i was on ssn 704 uss baltimore RIP

You have my respect. Submariners are a different breed.

Katmanken
Welllll Scott........

That explains a lot....

Now we know why you really like SUB-ie motors

Thats not pronounced Sooobie but Sub-ie..

So, how much water does a Subie motor leak? Whats the max rate of the drain pumps?

Enquiring minds wanna know???? happy11.gif

Ken
scotty914
QUOTE (kwales @ Aug 22 2005, 05:05 PM)
Welllll Scott........

That explains a lot....

Now we know why you really like SUB-ie motors

Thats not pronounced Sooobie but Sub-ie..

So, how much water does a Subie motor leak? Whats the max rate of the drain pumps?

Enquiring minds wanna know???? happy11.gif

Ken

i have not added water in about 5000 miles, hows that flipa.gif and oil in about 4500.

the reason for the oil is it is syn and 3/4 of it is cross country
but it is time to change it
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.