Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 chassis replacement for rusted out cars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DonnyT
I saw this 914 on FB marketplace in Stockton CA $500. Looked pretty solid from the outside (glass intact, minimal body damage or rust visible. but the seller sent a pic of the underneath side of the car and the bottom is all rotted out. What a shame.
It was stripped of all electrical and drivetrain, seats, etc. ......basically been parted out.
The idea occurred to me, that it would be cool if there was a way to mount the upper body onto a complete new pan / frame.
Like the kit cars that you buy the body and it goes onto the VW bug chassis.
That would be a great way to save some of these cars.
I see posts online around the world of guys re welding all kinds of sections that blow my mind, how much labor of love is going into a P O S car.
my $0.02

Donny T.
DonnyT
more pic
DonnyT
pic
Jack Standz
Looks, Ike original paint? What's the paint code?

I like it.
SirAndy
QUOTE(DonnyT @ Mar 29 2024, 09:23 PM) *

I saw this 914 on FB marketplace in Stockton CA $500. Looked pretty solid from the outside (glass intact, minimal body damage or rust visible. but the seller sent a pic of the underneath side of the car and the bottom is all rotted out. What a shame.
It was stripped of all electrical and drivetrain, seats, etc. ......basically been parted out.
The idea occurred to me, that it would be cool if there was a way to mount the upper body onto a complete new pan / frame.
Like the kit cars that you buy the body and it goes onto the VW bug chassis.
That would be a great way to save some of these cars.
I see posts online around the world of guys re welding all kinds of sections that blow my mind, how much labor of love is going into a P O S car.
my $0.02

Donny T.

The 914 has a uni-body.

There is no pan or frame to separate like you have on a beetle.
shades.gif
mepstein
That car is in rough shape. Anything can be fixed but that one would cost many times more than just going out and buying a nice running example.
rick 918-S
Ravenna. One of the best colors. Someone should do it. I have been placed on a moratorium. No more cars until something leaves.
Jack Standz
OK, thought ravenna green was .much more yellow and pale looking. Could just be the photo and color rendition on the monitor/screen.

VW parts (beetle pan) in/on a Porsche 914? Insanity! Who would do such a thing? (except maybe Porsche?)

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.