Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dash lights are out?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
steuspeed
All of my lights are working on the car except my dash lights. I didn't notice until it started getting dark last night. Checked all the fuses and wiggled them all. I wiggled the dash light dimmer a bunch of times. I'm thinking it's the dimmer switch since they are all out. Any ideas???
emerygt350
I had that dimmer go on mine. Although mine misbehaved for a little while before it gave out. I just bypassed the dimmer. That switch is a poorly over engineered POS.
steuspeed
A few turns and it always came back. This time it is not working at all.
76-914
Look at the rear of the ignition switch. There is a coiled spring wire that controls the ohms in that circuit. If it is broken you need to replace the switch or wire them up directly. I suspect that you could install a separate variable resistor to control that circuit if you changed to LED's but I'd check with an EE 1st.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Apr 2 2024, 07:12 AM) *

That switch is a poorly over engineered POS.

50 year old part fails - POS lol-2.gif

Wait till all these”modern” cars are 50 years old and the silicon and PCBs are failing av-943.gif

The dimmer is just a rheostat - if dirty or corroded, DeOxit will work wonders. The switch can be opened up and repaired if you are careful and patient. If the actual rheostat slider has mechanically worn out and won’t stay in contact with the wire wound element, time for a new (used) switch.

Here’s link to disassembly / internals.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...lamp_switch.htm
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Clean the rheostat wire spring and contact finger

QUOTE(steuspeed @ Apr 1 2024, 08:15 PM) *

All of my lights are working on the car except my dash lights. I didn't notice until it started getting dark last night. Checked all the fuses and wiggled them all. I wiggled the dash light dimmer a bunch of times. I'm thinking it's the dimmer switch since they are all out. Any ideas???

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.