Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fender to cowl seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HansJan
The car does not have these seals in place.
I’m contemplating leaving them out, as they might trap dirt and moisture, which would accelerate corrosion.
Without the seal dirt and moisture will get in easier, but also flush out and dry easier.

Or….
Am I just an idiot, and the seals are needed (after all Porsche engineers are the best in the business).

Click to view attachment
JamesM
Install them.

It looks better/ more finished and with new non dried out seals they are very easy to remove and reinstall if you wanted to clean out under them
JamesM
Just noticed you have a factory 6 there. Even more reason to install them.

Also, be sure you orient your wiper arms correctly before using those wipers! the blade should not contact the windshield trim at all. When set to run over the trim like that it will scratch and wear though the anodizing.

Replacing windshield trim is something you want to attempt to avoid at all costs.
Cairo94507
Please install them; they belong on the car. smile.gif
HansJan
Thank you all.
I will get some to install.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Install and keep the water out

QUOTE(HansJan @ Apr 1 2024, 09:48 PM) *

I’m contemplating leaving them out, as they might trap dirt and moisture, which would accelerate corrosion.
Without the seal dirt and moisture will get in easier, but also flush out and dry easier.

Or….
Am I just an idiot, and the seals are needed (after all Porsche engineers are the best in the business).

Click to view attachment

Mikey914
The good news is that we made ours out of rubber. Unlike the factory that made them from PVC. This makes them easier to remove and install. Use some soapy water (some prefer glycerine) and you can stretch and push in.

You can easily remove to clean if desired.
gnomefabtech
I've never installed these. Do they just push in?
76-914
Yep. Trim to length.
worn
QUOTE(HansJan @ Apr 1 2024, 08:48 PM) *

Or….

Click to view attachment

I am saving those seals for last in the rustoration. Along with gluing on a plastic Ivars clam. Agree. It sort of looks better without it. Sports cars of that era tended to have them though. Sometimes in leather.

Thanks for posting my birthday.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.