Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mysterious engine code?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
larss
Just got this photo from a friend, the engine has no sheet metal and the engine code is as in pic below, no other info available.
Cant find "RE" as an engine code anywhere...what type of engine could this be? confused24.gif

/Lars S

IPB Image
brant
Odd codes are usually to signify Remanufacture
Probably what the R means
And the stamp is not straight as if added
larss
QUOTE(brant @ Apr 3 2024, 06:11 PM) *

Odd codes are usually to signify Remanufacture
Probably what the R means
And the stamp is not straight as if added

Yea, my first wild guess was:
Remanufactured (or Replacement) Engine dated 8th of November -92.

Lars S
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yup a restamp from a rebuilder

QUOTE(larss @ Apr 3 2024, 05:16 AM) *

Just got this photo from a friend, the engine has no sheet metal and the engine code is as in pic below, no other info available.
Cant find "RE" as an engine code anywhere...what type of engine could this be? confused24.gif

/Lars S

IPB Image

914Sixer
Bigger question is WHO was the rebuilder? I remember something about US engines being sent to Canada during that time period for factory rebuild.
SirAndy
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 3 2024, 11:15 AM) *
Bigger question is WHO was the rebuilder? I remember something about US engines being sent to Canada during that time period for factory rebuild.

Doesn't look like a factory rebuild code ...
popcorn[1].gif
r_towle
Could it be a VW engine? I bet those had a different rebuilder circuit
Dave_Darling
It has the 914-type dipstick tube. Though that is not completely diagnostic, because some VW applications also used this type. Most, though, used a dipstick and filler that attached down below the alternator.

--DD
doug_b_928
VW factory rebuild had a unique logo stamped beside the engine number with two arrows (kind of like a recycling symbol).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.