Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: If the House is a Rockin'
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Spoke
Just felt some tremors here in Allentown. They said it was centered in NJ. Reported to be 4.8. Anyone else feel it?
mepstein
We did in SE PA. My wife felt it in Middletown DE. Haven’t heard from my daughter in Brooklyn but I’m sure it didn’t go unnoticed.
AvalonFal
Yep, in South Jersey.
jd74914
Apparently felt into eastern CT too. I didn't notice anything at my house, but some coworkers only a few miles away did.
flipb
I didn't notice it but neighbors apparently did here in Northern Virginia.
fiacra
Just a 4.8? We here in California are unimpressed biggrin.gif Seriously though, I'm glad initial reports are of no major damage and no injuries. Hope that remains true.
Cairo94507
Right? I really don't start to pay attention until they are about 5.0 and up. In fact we had 2 small ones at 6:30 PM yesterday.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 5 2024, 01:03 PM) *

Right? I really don't start to pay attention until they are about 5.0 and up. In fact we had 2 small ones at 6:30 PM yesterday.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
yeah

we usually just get the 3 to 4 tremblers here. bit of a gentle sway.
but about three years ago during the lockdown we copped a 5.9
i sat up and took notice of that one.
the dogs started barking well before it hit.
started with a weird high frequency rattle that had my photocopier paper trays buzzing.
then bam. at least three good sideways sways. i was out the door by the third sway.
didn't last long fortunately. but still did a fair bit of damage to older buildings here in melbourne. nothing of course compared to cali or japan.
rgolia
Yeppers, it was a good one by east coast standards. Got a little chandelier swing and everything.
mb911
Being in the Midwest we don’t speak earthquakes just the following- snow, hailstorms, ice storms, salty roads, rusted cars, 95 in the summer with 90% humidity and winters with -10/20.

Glad everything seems ok for everyone out east
StarBear
Just some rumbling here in northern NJ. Barely noticed it. Rotted tree down a few blocks away, but lots of rain lately so would have gone down soon anyway.
r_towle
Rain, sleet, hail, snow, sunshine, earthquakes, eclipse.
Another week in the springtime of New England
Front yard mechanic
A good bean burrito and I can blow a 4.8 ar15.gif
rgalla9146

Didn't know about the early one today but sure felt the aftershock that happened
late sfternoon.
My first earthquake ! A low rumble and vibration under foot. WTF.gif
StarBear
I was in San Diego during the Northridge quake. About 4am. Really felt that one!!!
wonkipop
QUOTE(StarBear @ Apr 5 2024, 08:06 PM) *

I was in San Diego during the Northridge quake. About 4am. Really felt that one!!!

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

a friend of mine was in tokyo when the big one that fried fukushima decided to happen.
she was sitting on the toilet.
said it was a wild ride.
i think that one was the mother of all quakes.

a bit hectic getting out - threat of meltdown etc.

i still remember sitting down in chicago to watch the world series baseball game going down in SF and the television broadcast went blank.

glad i live in australia. beer.gif

fiacra
[/quote]
[/quote]

Says the man from the country with more deadly snakes than any other country in the world. And lets not mention the jellyfish, sharks, spiders, and other venomous insects. Do they call it the land down under because there are so many ways to put you 6' down under? Sign me up for a little California "land surfing" any day beerchug.gif
wonkipop
[quote name='fiacra' date='Apr 5 2024, 11:01 PM' post='3138090']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Says the man from the country with more deadly snakes than any other country in the world. And lets not mention the jellyfish, sharks, spiders, and other venomous insects. Do they call it the land down under because there are so many ways to put you 6' down under? Sign me up for a little California "land surfing" any day beerchug.gif
[/quote]

don't believe what you read.

we don't have bears. cougars. wild cats. rattlesnakes. tarartulas.
let me think.
oh yeah. squirrels with rabies. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
your country is deadly mate. i know i have lived there.
the squirrels are fricken scary. i got chased down a street in chicago by one. biggrin.gif

but being serious for a moment.
yeah the sharks are serious.
and lately they have been biting.
i think they are hungry.
i blame it on chinese floating fishing factories sitting just outside our territorial waters south of the great australian bight. the sharks have got no food.
been a lot of shark attacks lately and its a little outside the ordinary.

there is actually only one serious snake in australia that comes after you.
thats the tiapan up north in queensland.
those things are psycho.
but the rest of the snakes, deadly as they are run away from you when they hear you coming. you just don't want to corner one if its hiding out somewhere.
i grew up in the country. seen heaps of big tiger snakes and brown snakes.
they back off if you back off.

the wildlife is seriously tame down here.

bkrantz
QUOTE(fiacra @ Apr 5 2024, 11:57 AM) *

Just a 4.8? We here in California are unimpressed biggrin.gif Seriously though, I'm glad initial reports are of no major damage and no injuries. Hope that remains true.

Yeah, California has some shakes now and then. But I got got home from Alaska. Now that's a quakey place.
flyer86d
The epicenter was about a mile from where we used to live when we were in New Jersey. My oldest son felt it in Rhode Island!

Charlie
carr914
my Sister felt it in Upstate NY
East coaster
Click to view attachment
73-914
Felt it outside of Albany NY
iankarr
Glad everyone is ok. This earthquake is yet another reminder to practice under-the-car safety wink.gif. Use backup suppoprts wherever possible, and throw away ratcheting jackstands. The pin-types are much safer.
rasam
I can understand the concern for earthquakes where there aren't as many as out here in California and some other places. I have been through some big ones in my life. The first earthquake I recall was in the early 1950's. There has been several big ones since. Some were in the 7+ range. Those kind are no joke. I'm thankful the epicenter for most of the bigger ones weren't where I was except one in Whittier Ca. in the mid 1980's. I hope you all that experienced the recent quake made it through ok.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.